Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
“it amazes me this kid is walking away mid-season, leaving his team in the lurch, and people still wish him well. Dude bailed on his teammates. Leave after the season. Fine. This? Quitting mid season? I will never respect that.“

oh I’m sorry...that was from the Taj thread.

of course, unlike that post which i disagree with. I thank Tommy for for the years of effort. Wish him best of the luck down the road
Remind me when Taj lost his starting job. Oh yeah that’s right, that didn’t happen.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Tommy's play, but we didn't do him any favors as a program. I appreciate his time here, and by all accounts he was a class act. I truly hope he goes somewhere and lights it up, and gets to show off his talent. I hope his dad stubs his toe every day for the rest of his life.

I didn’t say the quote above, sir.
I’m aware of that.

The point is that the two situations of these two leaving mid-season are very different and therefore reactions are going to be different. I wish Taj the best but he had every right to be criticized the way that he left. He was the #1 wideout, he didn’t lose his starting role, and he was gone the second he felt that he wasn’t going to be featured enough.

I’m aware of that.

The point is that the two situations of these two leaving mid-season are very different and therefore reactions are going to be different. I wish Taj the best but he had every right to be criticized the way that he left. He was the #1 wideout, he didn’t lose his starting role, and he was gone the second he felt that he wasn’t going to be featured enough.
the exact quote I grabbed from the Taj didn’t mention anything about the starting role. my point was you could put that quote directly in this thread...but it wouldn’t be...

Fwiw, Tommy also has every right to be criticized but shouldnt be.

i would hope we could all get to the point where, with the known rules in place, we could stop criticizing the players and just wish them well.

No he was benched as the starting quarterback and if he didn;t get in Friday night after Shrader's epiic passing clinic, he was never going to take a snap at Syracuse ever again. If you watched Babers press conference, that was plain as hell. What happened to Coach Morons earlier discussions about whoever is playing better plays until he doesn't and we need both guys to win. Oh and because he got his position changed and didn't like it, thats okay but when you want to play and don't thats not??????
Shrader’s “epic passing clinic” against Clemson was more productive than anything Devito did this year.

You people do realize Shrader left Mississippi St. during the season too?????
After he was moved to WR.

Yes, he left early/during the season (after he was moved to a position that he didn’t like) and preserved a year of eligibility.

Shrader’s “epic passing clinic” against Clemson was more productive than anything Devito did this year.
Shrader's first two games starting against P5 as a Cuse Qb (pick either one) were better performances than TD ever had vs a P5 opponent. I saw the above post of his father blaming the WR's, I guess he forgot in 19 he had Harris, Jackson, Riley, and Hackett. Had a legit RB who could catch passes (moe neal) and two other complimentary RB's.

The O-line was far from perfect but put ED or GS behind that line and I bet they don't take half the sacks that tommy did. Just watching GS this year I've seen so many plays where TD would've gone done for minus 7 and GS turns it into plus 5.

My memory will be all those out of bounds passes with Tommy running for the sidelines. The narrative is that if he had a pocket to stand in all would be well. College football favors a quarterback who can track receivers while rolling out. I wish him well but playing pro is not a realistic possibility. Hope he realizes that as he prepares for the future.

91CD95DC-B756-4F14-8792-9D0CD5C3E483.jpeg

This quickie divorce might be optimal for all. Best of luck young man.

Now, back to our football team. Let's somehow win 3 of the last 5 and make a G*d D*mned (Gosh Darn) bowl. You all deserve that and more.

I was really hoping for a redemption story. DeVito has a monster 3,000 yard/30 TD season, rides off with a bowl win and takes his shot at the NFL...

Not happening here now though.

On paper this was a match made in heaven. In reality, it just never came together.

I do think DeVito got hosed by a few things. Martin as a QB coach for a while was... not the strongest staffing. The OL was bad. Yes, I agree, some of the sacks were on TD, but the OL was rough. It was. TD did make some strides as a player, they just weren't enough, or in the places where we needed them to be, so he didn't get credit for his growth.

He's going to have an odd legacy here. His dad doesn't make it easy on himself, but if he feels betrayed a bit, I would understand it. This didn't work out as envisioned. They put trust in Babers and it just didn't pan out.

Hurts did transfer eventually
Hurts finished the season. DeVito literally gains nothing leaving now. If he doesn’t announce before the ending of the season I don’t get it.
He could have gone into the portal then finished this season.

I don’t get leave midseason he wasn’t suspended like Harris.

I think Tommy has handled losing his starting job extremely well. He is always the first player out to greet the offense coming off the field, is a really hard worker and has handled himself with class and dignity throughout his Syracuse career.

I wish him great success wherever he ends up.

Did he actually graduate from SU already? If so I get it. He wants to play somewhere for a final year

if he doesn’t have his degree he’s cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Hurts finished the season. DeVito literally gains nothing leaving now. If he doesn’t announce before the ending of the season I don’t get it.
He could have gone into the portal then finished this season.

I don’t get leave midseason he wasn’t suspended like Harris.
It seems like both will have two years of eligibility at another school by not playing more than 4 games for SU this season but doubtful either would play more than one due to age.

Good luck TD. He tried hard here but it just didn't work out. Guys need to play while they have the chance. Most aren't getting to the pros, and it's over so soon. I hope he goes somewhere where he can have some fun for a year.

Last edited:
I worry this says something about how banged up Shrader is. Tommy doesn’t want to waste his eligibility this year for us. He’s saving it for somewhere else.

the positive spin is he doesn’t want to take practice reps away from guys who will be here next year.

On Saturday’s game there was a shot of him looking restless in the 2Q after GS wasn’t doing well. He probably realized if he wasn’t getting put in on that situation, he’s never going to play unless GS gets injured. I agree with Dino not pulling GS, but I think that was the last straw. I feel bad for TD but it is what it is. Sincerely hope he lands somewhere that will let him be QB1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom