Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like both will have two years of eligibility at another school by not playing more than 4 games for SU this season but doubtful either would play more than one due to age.

Not playing more than 4 games allows you to redshirt. Tommy already had a redshirt year. I believe he only has 1 year left.

I'm going to guess when Babers said the starter is whoever played best the last game, but then only played 1 QB, might have changed things.

You're probably right. I thought his comments in the article indicated that he wasn't going to quit the team.

So first things first, good luck to TD. Was never a fan (since HS) but the kid did get the Darnold treatment at Cuse.

timing is strange. Not surprising but strange. He really gains nothing (other then the ability to be recruited in season) by leaving now. The 4 game narrative is incorrect. That’s only for a redshirt year. TD already redshirted. I believe he’ll only have one year left.

17 - redshirt
18 - played
19 - played
20 - played but keeps year eligibility wise
21 - played

After the first 1Q and a half of the Clemson game, if he wasn’t getting put in there he will never get put in unless GS gets injured. I bet the Clemson game was the last straw for him. Hope he finds a good fit, this is Shrader’s team now and it’s pretty obvious.

It seems like both will have two years of eligibility at another school by not playing more than 4 games for SU this season but doubtful either would play more than one due to age.
DeVito already redshirted he can’t use the 4 game rule.
Harris might be able to.

Best of luck to him. That said, it’s best we clean up the locker room. I’m okay with Tommy, Taj, and Jarveon leaving.

We didn’t win a whole lot with them, and let’s let the younger guys take over. We are far more competitive right now thank we ever were the last two years.

Rip off the bad aid.

Sort of agree with the difference in the Taj and Tommy comments. I also agree that players are people and need to do what is best for them while they have these opportunities to play.
I think one reason for making this announcement in the middle of the season is to get a jump on the opportunities from other teams. With the newer transfer rules, some players will be left with no where to go, or not good choices. By announcing now he has a better chance of getting offers before it gets crowded in the transfer portal. I don't see this is quitting on the team, but I see it as taking care of yourself and making the decisions that are best for you. And yes it is a team sport, but they are now allowed to do this, and so they are going to do it. Maybe the rules need to be dialed back just a little bit.
Good point and I agree with a lot of it. In Taj's case, these guys have a finite number of years to take advantage of their abilities. If I was in a situation where I didn't think that I was getting the most out of my abilities and I thought I could do better elsewhere, and I could only do it for a limited number of years, and there was a clause in my contract that I could get out of it and still preserve a year, I'd probably take advantage of it. I think many people thought this 4 game redshirt rule would be used mainly for younger players to give them some playing time without killing a season, but this is obviously another way to use it.

Tommy's already used his redshirt year, so his situation is a bit different. But it didn't work out here and that sucks. His dad was a bozo, but it's important not to take that out on Tommy.

Good point and I agree with a lot of it. In Taj's case, these guys have a finite number of years to take advantage of their abilities. If I was in a situation where I didn't think that I was getting the most out of my abilities and I thought I could do better elsewhere, and I could only do it for a limited number of years, and there was a clause in my contract that I could get out of it and still preserve a year, I'd probably take advantage of it. I think many people thought this 4 game redshirt rule would be used mainly for younger players to give them some playing time without killing a season, but this is obviously another way to use it.

Tommy's already used his redshirt year so his situation is a bit different. But it didn't work out here nad that sucks. His dad was a bozo, but it's important not to take that out on Tommy.

Good points, across the board.

Tommy's already used his redshirt year, so his situation is a bit different. But it didn't work out here and that sucks. His dad was a bozo, but it's important not to take that out on Tommy.
Yeah I got no problem with either player leaving. They don’t owe the university anything but staying out of trouble.
Both did.
Harris was suspended. I get him leaving when he did.
DeVito gets nothing out of leaving now but leaving his teammates early.
I don’t get why he and the staff just announce he is injured and out for the season.
Leaving now and missing out on a possible bowl doesn’t make sense.
He doesn’t have to play and it’s doubtful he will commit to another school before this season is over.
He could enter the portal now and be able to finish this season.

Anyway good luck to him. It has to be frustrating for him. He was a good kid.

Yeah I got no problem with either player leaving. They don’t owe the university anything but staying out of trouble.
Both did.
Harris was suspended. I get him leaving when he did.
DeVito gets nothing out of leaving now but leaving his teammates early.
I don’t get why he and the staff just announce he is injured and out for the season.
Leaving now and missing out on a possible bowl doesn’t make sense.
He doesn’t have to play and it’s doubtful he will commit to another school before this season is over.
He could enter the portal now and be able to finish this season.

Anyway good luck to him. It has to be frustrating for him. He was a good kid.
Maybe getting in the portal early before the mad rush would give a player a better chance to get a commitment from a new team. At least they get to start the process and talk to other programs.

Maybe getting in the portal early before the mad rush would give a player a better chance to get a commitment from a new team. At least they get to start the process and talk to other programs.
He can portal and stay with the team on the sideline.
Is all I said.
I got no problem with him portaling.
He should look out for his best interests.
He could be announced out for the season and finish with his teammates.
He gets nothing out of leaving now other than he wants to be away.

Amazing the stuff people will try to convince themselves of..
Harris didn’t travel for the Florida State game.
That isn’t a fact I guess.

What I am convincing myself of?

DeVito wasn’t suspended for any games.

If you don’t travel with the team before announcing a transfer What do you call it?
Quiting on the team?

I don’t blame Harris at all.

Tommy might want to take a look at how Ben DiNucci handled himself. He went down to FCS for JMU and had himself a hell of a season and ended up with the Cowboys. He played less than TD originally at Pitt but found the perfect situation. Doubt he ever does more than getting that cameo in Dallas but based on what he had done over his first 3 yrs there was no one expecting him to get pro looks when he first transferred.

No shame in finding a top program in FCS and take your shot at putting up some big numbers.
Joe Flacco transferred from Pitt to Delaware under similat circumstances, and it seemed to work out for him. Also, like Flacco, Newark, DE is close to Devito's NJ home.

Tommy went big for SU, talking up the program in an effort to bring in other recruits.
He seems sincere and likeable.
Tommy somehow survived an entire season running for his life -no QB can excel with no protection.
Unfortunate that it didn't work out for Tommy at SU, but he appeared to keep his head up.
Wish him well.

I
Tommy went big for SU, talking up the program in an effort to bring in other recruits.
He seems sincere and likeable.
Tommy somehow survived an entire season running for his life -no QB can excel with no protection.
Unfortunate that it didn't work out for Tommy at SU, but he appeared to keep his head up.
Wish him well.
Yes he tried and it ultimately it didn’t work. Life is not guaranteed for sure

I wish him well. I just hope he got his degree because he will regret that part later in life when he’s an investment advisor or
Something.

First off, thanks to all the players who have stayed with the team instead of leaving in mid-season.

As with all of the players who transfer out, football and basketball, I won’t be paying any attention to Devito’s career but I wish him well in life.

My best guess is Kent State with Sean Lewis.
I don’t see it. I don’t think he is BCS level QB. I could see him being successful with a team like Monmouth. He has the arm strength and can put the ball where it needs to be, but panics when the play starts to fall apart. Like to where he just throws the ball to the other team type of panic. A great kid we all expected to excel here from out of high school. Good luck wherever he may go.

No. Hell no. No way in Hell.
Agree this only causes issues, always take the high road with any opportunity you leave. Burning bridges is a terrible look. That goes for anyone who supports you as well. It doesn’t do anyone any favors and quite frankly it’s a red flag for anyone looking to offer the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom