Tommy has to start vs NC State. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy has to start vs NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dungey's a senior. he won the starting job. and he's our leading rusher and won a couple games himself . we've only seen devito in relief not as a starter. he's thrown 30 some passes. i'm thinking dino goes with experience but the leash just got shorter. just my opinion.
ED has beaten WMU, Wagner and UConn this year. No P5 wins there. Tommy has beaten FSU and UNC - our two ACC and P5 wins.

Wake and Louisville are similar to UNC. Maybe worse. That would be 7 if we can get those.

Pull an upset from there?

* If we lost today I’d be trying to convince myself we weren’t going 4-8 again, now I’m talking myself into 8-4.

Devito was really throwing some good balls though. I’m giddy about that.

Louisville is def worse.

We should stop focusing on what our total wins should be and just worry about the next game. Get bowl eligigable and go from there. So many on this board want to keep framing success around 8/9/10 wins. We won 8 total the last two combined. If we go to a bowl, that was my measure of progress from last year. Everything else is gravy. Next year, we raise the bar further.

This is about more than Eric’s accuracy or lack thereof, it is also about his decision making. His two handed underhand pass and the “fumble” that was reversed because his knee was down were both terrible decisions for a senior QB. That is as concerning as his passing.

This is about more than Eric’s accuracy or lack thereof, it is also about his decision making. His two handed underhand pass and the “fumble” that was reversed because his knee was down were both terrible decisions for a senior QB. That is as concerning as his passing.
Given that Babers tolerated the inaccurate passing but did not tolerate the push pass, I submit that the terrible decisions were more concerning than the bad passing.

If Dino starts Dungey and has to take him out, he will likely never play another down unless TD really screws up and maybe not even then.
The job is now Tommy's to lose. He has earned it.

Devito is definitely the more natural qb. He's always looking for the open man down field.

I don't understand why Babers has to start Dungey? He has given him every opportunity. It's time to make the move. Doing it after a come from behind win and being able to get the start at home is a perfect time to make the switch.

Start Dungey. If he struggles, you have TD ready to step in.
ED is not exactly chopped liver, fellas. Let him start & if he’s on, we ride him. If not, you make the switch.

He has been clearly out played

Guys some of the logic here is what I wouldn't accept for junior high school. You go with the hot hand. Start TD until he proves otherwise. Do you not understand how desperate our program is at this point? You can fully respect ED and everything he's done and expect him to be a team player - he showed he's willing to do that at the end of the game today. Are you?

Different abilities, and both will be ready to do what Coach B asks, whenever he asks. I don't know if this was brought up, because I skipped to the end of this, but wasn't there an arm/shoulder injury, earlier in the season, with Eric? His passing has been a lot more spotty than what we've seen. Also, it could be a result of putting on the extra weight/muscle. (Just an opinion, but) DeVito is slipperier than Dungey - quicker too - ("squirrelier") and that can put a defense out of its rhythm. A lot will go on in practices this week, both physically and mentally, regarding the quarterback issue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see DeVito come in at Coach B's beckoning. They are two very different QBs - both excellent, imo, and I doubt Coach B will show his hand, outright. For me, it's a "wait and see," but what I liked most about this game with UNC is that the late game conditioning showed up. Difficult to run a 2 QB offense, as a HC, but I like Babers - a lot. I also like 5-2.

It would be a disgrace and slap in the face to everyone involved if he starts/gets the bulk of the snaps vs NC State and I didn't want a change until that fumble/pass since it was a 1 score game and I love Dungey.

We smoke Pitt if we make the change last week.

Yes, Eric played poorly enough vs UNC to 'lose' the job that is reality.

And yes Devito made phenomenal throws some NFL QBs might not be able to make and looked good enough to replace and established guy.

I don't even think it would be fair to Dungey who is not fully healthy thats a tough spot to come into and one where you are bound to fail because he simply can't make some of the throws Devito does just like Devito can't drop kick linebackers (we haven't seen anything like that bar early in the WMU game from Dungey this year hes still effective running but hes nowhere near as dynamic.)

You lose the team if you don't reward performance.

Devito shouldn't have much of a leash or job security off the small sample size at this point. Dungey can likely grind out a close game in relief if he is forced into action due to injury or performance. And I expect him to do well if we use him in certain run packages or give him a couple series each half.

I don't see anything different right now between our QB situation and Alabamas. If you want Dungey to start I'd expect you to think Hurts should still be Bama QB since hes older.

Good post! Exactly! Now it's a competition.
If Tommy hits a rough patch, you have the luxury of bringing Eric Dungey off the bench to replace him. Give Eric some time, maybe he'll get healthier. I think with NC State, we're going to have to score some points, so I would start Tommy and see what happens.

The next 2 games, I would expect we should be favored, but if we can't beat a bad Pitt team on the road, I'm not counting on beating Wake on the road. We had to win this game against Carolina, and we barely did at home. It's going to be a nail biter to get bowl eligible. That's why I was thinking ahead to Louisville; I saw a ticket ad, and I thought we had three straight at home.

The fumble pass was Nunesian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors