Tommy has to start vs NC State. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy has to start vs NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have to win a few games. We have no shot against NC State with a banged up Eric. DeVito gives us a puncher's chance.

The following week, we MUST beat Louisville. Geez, this game today, at home, was so much closer than it should have been. Forget talk about 8 or 9 wins. How foolish does that sound now?

Let's just get to six, and then it's house money. Next year is a bigger year. 34 of our top 44 on the depth chart return, plus all our kickers. Let's just get to a bowl game this year and finish with a better recruiting class than we have right now.

Next year 8-9 wins, and then that class is going to be very good and we will be off to the races with 2 more years of Tommy still to go.

NC State is going to be tough, but they looked awful today.

Wake is not a good team. Clawson is a great coach. But we should win that game.

Louisville is bad.

BC is winnable. Even ND isn’t unbeatable.

8 wins is a realistic goal.

I start Dungey and then bring Devito in. I don't want Tommy feeling nervous for his first career start and psyche himself out. Plus Dungey has been able to move the offense on the first possession of the halves all year long.

Still think Devito gets a majority bof playing time even tho he doesn't start

I will lose a ton of faith in Dino if Dungey starts. It would be Shafer level incompetence. I won't believe it until I see it.

I respect Dungey as a guy who gave it all he had, but talent wins out at the end. Devito is the future, and the sooner he transitions to starter the better the program will be.
Why? Do you only have a short-term memory?

Yesterday taught me that we have two QBs that can win for us. Dungey’s proven it for the past 4 years, Devito proved it with FSU/UNC games. Why handicap yourself and only go with one guy?

Assuming injuries aren’t a factor here (and I think Dungey’s shoulder might still be an issue) I think you stick with experience but continue to have a willingness to play both should he come out like he did yesterday. It keeps defenses guessing and it makes us harder to defend.

DeVito looked fantastic, but let’s see how he looks when a defense has some time and game film to prepare for him like they have for Dungey.

I liked his throws and agree it opens it up but I was worried he was trying to score to every play and not just go underneath.

Thought the same but that decision may have come from the sideline. We didn’t have much time to dink and dunk. It was an all in - go long - see what happens risk.

I’m a Green Bay fan, I’ve been watching them since I was 12... I don’t take this comparison lightly but Tommy has hints of Rodgers in him... Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I said hints. He buys time with his feet and is constantly looking down feild. That, mixed with his release. I like it a lot.

Are you actually from Wisconsin or are you like the other 95% of those bandwagon fans?

I can't believe people are actually saying start Dungey

You would be telling Alabama to start Hurts too I bet after Tua won them a title.
I think comparing this to the Alabama qb situation is a false equivalency. Tua had a whole off season to win the job... we don’t know what Saban would have done if there had been one more game after last season.

My thing is you either trust that coaches are not. Babers is under a lot of pressure and is getting paid a lot of money to win games. He will put the qb out there who gives him the best shot to win based off what he is seeing. In practice and in games. Maybe Dungey looks better but in practice or maybe TD doesn’t look great with the ones? My guess is given that TD didn’t win the job in the bye week we won’t see a change until half time of next week.

I personally think Dungey’s problem is that he is the same qb he’s always been... he doesn’t read the field so much as throw to a spot on the field that has been predetermined, usually a sideline pass. He also does not have the accuracy or arm strength to throw to the middle of the field or outs. He’s had amazing receivers to bail him out the last few years but they are gone. One thing he used to do well was throw a great deep ball but for whatever reason he doesn’t seen to be able to that consistently this year. So now you have a qb who doesn’t trust his arm and other teams know that and are waiting to lay the lumber. .

Eric Dungey was the ONLY reason this team wasnt embarassingly bad in offense MANY weeks over the last 3 seasons. And I respect the hell out of him. But something is wrong, and its something that his heart can no longer compensate for. Its Tommy time.
I agree i think he's been playing hurt since FSU.

All the games left are winnable. Even Notre Dame. We should go 3-2 minimum. You guys need to stop thinking about the past.

I think EVERYONE would agree that Pitt and North Carolina were the 2 worst teams in the entire ACC. We lost to one and barely beat the other at home in OT.

No game is a sure thing with this team.

I think comparing this to the Alabama qb situation is a false equivalency. Tua had a whole off season to win the job... we don’t know what Saban would have done if there had been one more game after last season.

My thing is you either trust that coaches are not. Babers is under a lot of pressure and is getting paid a lot of money to win games. He will put the qb out there who gives him the best shot to win based off what he is seeing. In practice and in games. Maybe Dungey looks better but in practice or maybe TD doesn’t look great with the ones? My guess is given that TD didn’t win the job in the bye week we won’t see a change until half time of next week.

I personally think Dungey’s problem is that he is the same qb he’s always been... he doesn’t read the field so much as throw to a spot on the field that has been predetermined, usually a sideline pass. He also does not have the accuracy or arm strength to throw to the middle of the field or outs. He’s had amazing receivers to bail him out the last few years but they are gone. One thing he used to do well was throw a great deep ball but for whatever reason he doesn’t seen to be able to that consistently this year. So now you have a qb who doesn’t trust his arm and other teams know that and are waiting to lay the lumber. .

Dungey and Tommy are closer together than Tua and Hurts. It’s a closer call. And Alabama is going to win most of their games no matter who starts. We don’t have that kind of margin.

I think EVERYONE would agree that Pitt and North Carolina were the 2 worst teams in the entire ACC. We lost to one and barely beat the other at home in OT.

No game is a sure thing with this team.
Louisville ???

With Tommy all the sudden our OL was better and our "playmakers" made plays. And that spark carried over to the defensive side of the ball...

On defense I did see some different LBs in during OT. Something to keep an eye on.
We should be running Shy and Richards much more cause how can I trust whit to make a play. He is not a lb and not fast enough for a safety. Night and day with aggressiveness from all guys but whit.

Start Dungey. If he struggles, you have TD ready to step in.
ED is not exactly chopped liver, fellas. Let him start & if he’s on, we ride him. If not, you make the switch.
But why start Dungey. Is he gonna automatically stop throwing terrible balls. He is hurt. Then that makes his motion and mechanics worse and they weren’t good to begin with. I can’t see how anyone would start Ed overTd. If Eric wasn’t hurt that’s one thing. He is and there is no comparison. If u can’t see it I am sorry lol. What everyone is forgettting about is once Td opens long passes up that will open short passes up and run game. It’s a snowball effect.

NC State is going to be tough, but they looked awful today.

Wake is not a good team. Clawson is a great coach. But we should win that game.

Louisville is bad.

BC is winnable. Even ND isn’t unbeatable.

8 wins is a realistic goal.

BC is a power running team. I don't see how we beat them, to be honest.
Louisville may be bad this year, but we haven't done great against them in recent years, and the teams that have been supposedly worse in the ACC, we've lost to, or barely beat.
I've thought we're better than Wake ever since we entered the league and we keep losing to them, too. NC State was undefeated until yesterday. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and the game is at Yankee Stadium, where they will have the crowd, and the weather may be poor, again, favoring strong running teams.

I hate to be "that guy", but with Eric unable to throw, if he's still your starter we might not win another game this year. I'm a big Eric fan, love his heart, but he has been hurt all year and he's frustrated now, making poor decisions that have cost us games (Pitt) and nearly cost us (UNC). We can't afford another slip up.

Louisville may be bad this year, but we haven't done great against them in recent years, and the teams that have been supposedly worse in the ACC, we've lost to, or barely beat.
I've thought we're better than Wake ever since we entered the league and we keep losing to them, too. NC State was undefeated until yesterday. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and the game is at Yankee Stadium, where they will have the crowd, and the weather may be poor, again, favoring strong running teams.

I hate to be "that guy", but with Eric unable to throw, we might not win another game this year. I'm a big Eric fan, love his heart, but he has been hurt all year and he's frustrated now, making poor decisions that have cost us games (Pitt) and nearly cost us (UNC). We can't afford another slip up.
The start to the BC game will be telling. The winner of the 1st quarter is well positioned to play how they want.

We should be running Shy and Richards much more cause how can I trust whit to make a play. He is not a lb and not fast enough for a safety. Night and day with aggressiveness from all guys but whit.

I see Richards taking over for Pierce in the personal foul department. He a very active young man.

Yesterday taught me that we have two QBs that can win for us. Dungey’s proven it for the past 4 years, Devito proved it with FSU/UNC games. Why handicap yourself and only go with one guy?

Assuming injuries aren’t a factor here (and I think Dungey’s shoulder might still be an issue) I think you stick with experience but continue to have a willingness to play both should he come out like he did yesterday. It keeps defenses guessing and it makes us harder to defend.

DeVito looked fantastic, but let’s see how he looks when a defense has some time and game film to prepare for him like they have for Dungey.
Nick ed is hurt. Did u watch that game and his passes. Wasn’t close. He isn’t really off. Do u see when he throws long he throws to sideline where Td throws his guys a perfect ball. Bnaro is right, this shouldn’t be a debate in any sense of the word. In 2 games from now if ed isn’t hurt we can play both but he is now and he shouldn’t play until he is ok

I don’t see Dino giving TD the start next week. I do think it’s crucial that Tommy becomes our guy now, though. Bring in Dungey for situational plays where he flourishes. TD is just better and it’s likely not in our best interest to shelve him any longer

I've thought we're better than Wake ever since we entered the league and we keep losing to them, too.

We beat Wake every time the first 3 years we were in the ACC.

2016 was that ridiculous rain storm that completely shut down any type of passing game, which favored them. I put an asterisk on that one.

Last year was a pretty bizarre game. I think we’ll beat them this year provided we go into it relatively healthy and there’s no freak weather.

This isn't meant to be a slight on Dungey I am truely curious but what is Syracuse's record when Dungey finishes the game?

No, I assure you my memory is very good. I just happen to value QB attributes like arm strength and accuracy over attributes like grit and determination .

The cult of Dungey is strongggggggggg on this board - not everyone, but there is a health percentage of this board that acts like Dungey can do no wrong and will not listen or engage with anything or anyone saying something contrary. Some of it is earned, most of it is hero worship. OMG HE KICKED A LB IN THE FACE I WANT A QB LIKE THAT!!

Dungey is not a particularly good QB. He is not particularly talented as a thrower, he's a very good runner. He's a solid college QB. He's the kind of guy Bill Snyder might make a run at a Big 12 championship with. He was fortunate to be in a place with ABSOLUTELY zero QB talent, and a coach with an amazing QB system was hired. He has put up numbers, but they have all been inflated by pace. On an efficiency level, Dungey led offenses are middling. Given our defensive issues, we cannot have an inefficient offense.

I appreciate Dungey for what he has done - he was clearly the best QB on the roster his first 3 seasons, and he always gave his all. He rightly should be recognized for those things. But I care about the Syracuse program more than I care about Dungey's feelings. Devito is more talented, he has proven he can close out and win games, and the offense looks much, MUCH better with Devito at the helm. His attributes are a better fit and he is, without a doubt, the future for Syracuse.

If Dungey stayed in the NC game, we most likely lose. We lost at Pitt. Back to back weeks losing to the dregs of the ACC. It is fair to speculate whether Devito would have been a spark that would have led to a win at Pitt. It is fair to wonder if Devito's threat of downfield throws (not to mention ability to not one hop a throw to the WR on the edge) would have been enough.

This is an obvious decision. Saban would go with Devito, as we've seen in his decision making. Dabo would go with Devito, as we've seen in his decision making. Julian Whigham thinks it is an obvious choice. I'd venture to say anyone who isn't captive to the cult of Dungey sees it as an obvious choice.

The ugly truth is that while our talent is getting better, we’re even or under a lot of our ACC peers. We’re not going to win going away in most ACC games, even against teams that are down.

That said, Louisville looks like they’ve quit on Petrino (or he’s quit on them or both). Wake is young at QB and they’ve lost a bunch of guys to injury (and their D is young in spots).

BC is beatable, especially if we can jump out to a lead. ND is a house money game. NC State can’t run but are solid everywhere. I expect a very tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom