Tony White | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

Definitely talking about us, he sounds scared.
And I will say this, Tony White has a pretty good idea if he feels that he can be successful at Syracuse because he has seen it up close and personal, when he shows up there should be no surprises should he be hired. He may have list of things that he needs to take the job but he would come in eyes wide open and if he doesn't want the job or think he can be successful here then don't even interview for it.

Pretty simple for he and a guy like Sean Lewis but goes both ways, what can YOU do to offset some of the shortcomings that we do in fact have here.

Coaches all say the same things, sometimes coaches have everything they need and still can't succeed. I also think Syracuse if they have some success the commitment on everyone's end will continue to improve as well. But a guy like Tony would be gone in 3 years if he was successful here and I am fine with that

If you are going defense I would rather have AL Golden but just my opinion as I think he could put a better Northeast type staff together because of all the experience he has had but again just my opinion.

I really don't care who they hire, not going to change much for me

Ouch. Rhule talking about us?

Ruhle is DEF talking about us. Honest question, how many schools/jobs offer what he is talking about? Maybe the top 3 schools in each conference? Those jobs arent had by coordinators with no HC experience. Meaning you have to cut your teeth somewhere else first...essentially from his comments, you should only take a HC gig at a G5/FCS in the south.

The narrative that our expectations are high is laughable, we just fired a guy who had a 400 win percentage after 8 years lol. That is the definition of LOW expectations.

And I will say this, Tony White has a pretty good idea if he feels that he can be successful at Syracuse because he has seen it up close and personal, when he shows up there should be no surprises should he be hired. He may have list of things that he needs to take the job but he would come in eyes wide open and if he doesn't want the job or think he can be successful here then don't even interview for it.

Pretty simple for he and a guy like Sean Lewis but goes both ways, what can YOU do to offset some of the shortcomings that we do in fact have here.

Coaches all say the same things, sometimes coaches have everything they need and still can't succeed. I also think Syracuse if they have some success the commitment on everyone's end will continue to improve as well. But a guy like Tony would be gone in 3 years if he was successful here and I am fine with that

If you are going defense I would rather have AL Golden but just my opinion as I think he could put a better Northeast type staff together because of all the experience he has had but again just my opinion.

I really don't care who they hire, not going to change much for me
i find it kinda funny that he would care what rhule has to say about syracuse, it's pretty funny that rhule is pretending like he has such great advice

I think White knows D but who has he coached along side on O? What would his OC options be? It seems pretty limited. He hasn't coached with decent O guys at any of his stops. Hiring a 1st time HC with no ability to fix the O seems risky.

captain obvious...coming from a guy who took the Temple job to get his feet wet. How many upper echelon teams are going to give a guy like Tony White his first HC job? None.

He could be talking about Mississippi State though. Is that a good job ? Pay more sure. More resources sure. Crazy expectations yep that to. Syracuse doesn't expect 10 wins. Miss St would.

I think White knows D but who has he coached along side on O? What would his OC options be? It seems pretty limited. He hasn't coached with decent O guys at any of his stops. Hiring a 1st time HC with no ability to fix the O seems risky.
he will throw stuff at the wall like every other defensive guy and think about offense in terms of what it can do to help the defense other than scoring points

captain obvious...coming from a guy who took the Temple job to get his feet. How many upper echelon teams are going to give a guy like Tony White his first HC job? None.

He could be talking about Mississippi State though. Is that a good job ? Pay more sure. More resources sure. Crazy expectations yep that to. Syracuse doesn't expect 10 wins. Miss St would.
matt rhule is all about low expectations.

he will throw stuff at the wall like every other defensive guy and think about offense in terms of what it can do to help the defense other than scoring points
Maybe. Or understand what kind of offenses give him fits and go that route?

What would he do to fix our offense though?

That is a big question with White. He saw what we did in 2021 and then when he hears about the last 2 games, he might think that is a good direction for our O. He is also part of a team at Nebraska that rushes for more yards per game than it passes.

That is a big question with White. He saw what we did in 2021 and then when he hears about the last 2 games, he might think that is a good direction for our O. He is also part of a team at Nebraska that rushes for more yards per game than it passes.

and has a losing record.

Maybe. Or understand what kind of offenses give him fits and go that route?
no defensive meathead is willing to do that out of the gate. even the best of the best have to give in to reality years later (stoops, patterson, saban)

no defensive meathead is willing to do that out of the gate. even the best of the best have to give in to reality years later (stoops, patterson, saban)
I wouldn’t say never. Lanning was a DC before heading to Oregon. White is young enough where all he knows is spread and RPO game. He’s not 60 and rooted in the I formation offenses.

I’m not advocating White but I don’t think he’s a cloud of dust type guy.

Ruhle is 100% right that we fight with a hand tied behind our back. Sounds like Tony White needs an SEC commitment to be successful with his system. That's fine with me. I want someone who doesn't need it handed on a silver platter. I want a fighter who will create the system and optimize it.

Never said that.

Just corrected your incorrect statement.

What would his OC options be? It seems pretty limited.
And
Hiring a 1st time HC with no ability to fix the O seems risky.

Are both correct and my main points.

He hasn't coached with decent O guys at any of his stops.

Should be "...stops, who would be available." That still does not divert from the point, how does he fix the O when he does not have a prior relationship with a decent, capable, and experienced available OC?

I think it would be risky to hire any DC, not just White, unless they had good plan, ie a guy to bring in as OC.

I like White a lot as a D mind. But can we really afford for him to learn how to be a HC, put together a staff, and figure out his O identity all while on the job?

Oregon coach would be the exception he has hired two great O Coordinators in 2 years but Dan Lanning is far from your typical D head coach meathead, he would have beaten Washington if he had a little more porterhouse between the ears but not the point here.

I wouldn’t say never. Lanning was a DC before heading to Oregon. White is young enough where all he knows is spread and RPO game. He’s not 60 and rooted in the I formation offenses.

I’m not advocating White but I don’t think he’s a cloud of dust type guy.
I just go with probabilities, nothing is certain. I just don't like the odds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom