Tracking Syracuse vs Other Teams: Mar 1 - Mar 7 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tracking Syracuse vs Other Teams: Mar 1 - Mar 7

You are killing it on the matrix rankings congrats.
Top 5 is insane.

Not me. Wonder if that fan posts here? I used to put brackets onto the matrix maybe from 2008-2010. Was pretty much middle of the pack.

I think there are many people at the end of the day that can decipher seeds and resumes as good or better than me -- such as yourself.

Now I just try to focus on the story, the trends, the drama aspect of it and try to share my knowledge that way.

It used to be you wouldn’t play a conference opponent till the Elite 8.
However since 2011 the committee changed when the Big East got 11 teams in.
The new rule is conference teams can play any round after the first round now however the way you can play a conference team before the elite 8 is they can only have played 1 time in the regular season.
Thus you can play a second round or sweet 16 game against a conference opponent only if you played one time during the season.
This is how we got Duke in the Sweet 16 last year since we only played them one time in the regular season.
We won’t be grouped with Duke before the Elite 8 this year.
If we play Virginia or North Carolina in the ACC tournament we won’t be grouped with them either.
I hope we play UNC again just so we don’t get put in their way before a potential Elite 8 game.

Everything you said is correct, But between 2011, when they made the change, until about 2016 they still tried to keep conferences away if they could until the elite 8 (it was still a preference, but no longer a rule). I remember looking at it last year, and there was maybe or one two instances where an 8 bid or less conference could have potentially met before the round of 8. Last year there was probably about 10 instances alone.

On the one hand, evening tourney games are way more conducive with work. On the other hand, there’s just something about watching a college basketball game on a 40 degree overcast March afternoon with other people who are taking a long lunch that makes life feel amazing.
Every job, or girlfriend i ever had knew that i was unavailable from 11am est to 12:30pm that 1st Thursday and Friday of tournament. Got vacation days or sick days/PTO????

How did they manage without you for an hour and a half?
11am to 12:30 am. You know what I meant lol. Weird thing is i hated our Big East opponents but could always cheer for them to do good in NCAA. In the ACC i hate Duke but dont even watch the others. And couldn't care less if they do good or are victims of monumental upsets (UVA)

So what are the big games this week? Outside of ours of course!

Moved up to the 8 line today after Wake Forest. I think we can get up to a 5 if we win 3 more including Virginia and at Clemson. We will pass Louisville with a win tonight.

I REALLY want to avoid the dreaded noon ACC tourney time slot at all costs.

SU can be guaranteed to avoid that fate by winning one more game.

The first few years after making the change they still kept conferences with 8 teams or less away from each other until the elite 8. While the rules allowed them to have conference teams meet earlier, they made it clear it was not the preference unless they were forced to do so.

Either last year, or the year before, they largely gave up on that preference, and location really stepped to the forefront in the bracket. There were several instances of teams being able to meet in the roudn of 32 and round of 16 (onferences with 8 teams or less), and that would not have happened before.

That being said I don't think they would have a #1 seed play a confrence matte in thr round of 32.

The 2011 committee could have avoided 2nd round matchups between BE teams, they just didn't care.

6dd05274abd05c3dfedb7edf18f276bd381f74391c02c0e0d81dbbf6a1fa9129.jpg

Every job, or girlfriend i ever had knew that i was unavailable from 11am est to 12:30pm that 1st Thursday and Friday of tournament. Got vacation days or sick days/PTO????

This march madness will the the 20th(!!!) since I graduated college. I've gotten those days off every year but one.

Updated after this weekend and considering only 59 bracket submitted today. We jumped one team on the matrix, since the teams with Q1 wins were way too far behind us. We were 15th last team in, now we are 16th last team in. We passed Ole Miss who now is 14th last in. (We are also marginally ahead of Washington on Today;s bracket... 8.41 vs 8.5

Teams are just running out of time to catch us.

The big winners of the weekend were UCF and Utah St who probably clinched bids with their marquee victories.

In terms of the weekend. Arizona St moved in and Clemson moved out... although all of Arizona St, Seton Hall, Temple and Clemson are really all very close right now.

With teams not capitalizing on Q1 chances this weekend, Indiana (15-14) and Creighton (15-13) moved back into the picture with Q1 wins. Despite those gaudy records 20% and 15% respectively, see them in.

As an example of what a bad loss did this weekend. Florida and St Johns who were comfortably in, but still behind us entering weekend play suffered Q3 losses. They are still the 10th and 9th last team in. Again, with a Q1 game on the weekend and a Q3 game likely in the first round of the ACC tourney can we lose enough ground here? It really seems unlikely.

But still a big week for many teams here. Those Q1 games for Minnesota, Alabama, and Seton Hall are huge, If they all lose, Indiana may gain a little more ground entering the B10 tourney

1551756172286.png

Attachments

• 1551755560491.png
    1551755560491.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 10
In case there are still people worrying out there. There were 3 games on the docket above.

Yes we loss a Q1 game... But Texas and TCU who are behind us are also both losing by 15 and 13 points respecitvely. Not enough teams are gaining on us.

In case there are still people worrying out there. There were 3 games on the docket above.

Yes we loss a Q1 game... But Texas and TCU who are behind us are also both losing by 15 and 13 points respecitvely. Not enough teams are gaining on us.

another Q1 road chance Saturday vs. a desperate Clemson team. Need that one for better seeding in ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Sounds like SU is running the JB stall on the committee.

Ok so Minnesota punches ticket by beating Purdue, Oklahoma boat racing Kansas, punches theirs, on the flip side Texas and TCU lost. so status quo?

Per KenPom, we only have 1 loss vs a team outside of the top 34 since DECEMBER 15th, which was GaTech. Our losses since that ODU loss:

Our ability to avoid bad losses since December is key.

That GaTech game was nonsense especially at home. Team just folded after some adversity. Not uncommon in second halves this year. That's where coaching really comes into play, imo. Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread with that.

Agree with your point completely. Bad losses are no road wins are legit what kept us out two years ago despite 10 conference wins.

That GaTech game was nonsense especially at home. Team just folded after some adversity. Not uncommon in second halves this year. That's where coaching really comes into play, imo. Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread with that.

Agree with your point completely. Bad losses are no road wins are legit what kept us out two years ago despite 10 conference wins.
Agreed. We now have 6 road wins - one vs #3 in KenPom and one was #39 which was OOC. Clemson is 30 in KenPom so that would be a great road win as well

In 2016 we hung our hat on those UConn abs Texas AM wins in Atlantis then the win at Duke. Our resume is better this year

I'd love to beat Clemson, so that we can take the committee agenda out of the equation. I get that most ppl here think we are locks. I am not convinced, just yet. Of course, that might be due to my mentality , recently, of trying not to get my hopes up with SU sports, since I've been burned so often, lol.

The Ga tech game was so weird, and it was then followed 2 days later by Duke so it totally got lost in the shuffle.

This year in the league is also odd in that most of the league is either top 40 or sub 100. not a whole lot in between

The Ga tech game was so weird, and it was then followed 2 days later by Duke so it totally got lost in the shuffle.

This year in the league is also odd in that most of the league is either top 40 or sub 100. not a whole lot in between
Very weird year. SU loses to GT at home then beats Duke in Durham. Wake loses at home to SU by 25, then loses to Duke at Durham by 1 (should have beaten them at the buzzer).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom