Traditional Transfer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Traditional Transfer

Agreed. And the beauty of graduate transfers is that they don't clog up scholarships for future recruiting classes. In fact, they help you fill holes and win now, thus making the program more attractive to your high school targets.
in what way did any of syracuse's three grad transfers help their squads to "win now?"
I don't think anyone wants to know what the 2016-17 Orange would have looked like without White/Gillon.
the difference between a first round nit loss & no post season is marginal at best

We have one kid on the roster that can dribble. This is a major problem and there is simply no way we don’t add.

I've mentioned the name before, but I'm not sure why we don't take a flyer on the Canadian kid, Karim Mane. Montreal! He's pretty well hyped up here. Not sure the buzz is much in the US.

Get Guerrier in on the recruitment...what's the worst could happen?

I'd saw worst case scenario is we end up with a cool nickname, the French Connection!! Mane to Guerrier!

I've mentioned the name before, but I'm not sure why we don't take a flyer on the Canadian kid, Karim Mane. Montreal! He's pretty well hyped up here. Not sure the buzz is much in the US.

I'd saw worst case scenario is we end up with a cool nickname, the French Connection!! Mane to Guerrier!

6’5 CG who has offers from DePaul, Marquette, Georgetown and Maryland. All his crystal balls are for Marquette. Looks like a top athlete who has a little showboat, Jonny Flynn like flair to his game.

6’5 CG who has offers from DePaul, Marquette, Georgetown and Maryland. All his crystal balls are for Marquette. Looks like a top athlete who has a little showboat, Jonny Flynn like flair to his game.

The buzz on him up here is pretty high - and I know he hasn't committed. The Canadian All-Star game, or Championship was coming up, so he was on the news a bit.

With Guerrier, surprised we couldn't get in on it, or never kicked the tires on the kid. Or perhaps we did. No clue. Okay, now I'm going to research this more - because maybe we did.

Although I searched for a thread months ago and know there wasn't one, so likely not. Anyway, I just want the nickname - I'm all about the nickname!!!

in what way did any of syracuse's three grad transfers help their squads to "win now?"
the difference between a first round nit loss & no post season is marginal at best

White & Gillon boosted SU to 19-15 record. In that way, it was a winning squad. If they didn't come, the team would have had a losing record, something SU hasn't had since 1969. No one's impressed with that team, but everyone's glad we avoided that. Thorpe could have seem real minutes and helped out if he was patient. He left, the team went to the Sweet 16 anyway. Granted, SU's track record with grad transfers is rather short and undistinguished but there was no downside to signing any of them. Other schools have had success with grad transfers. There's no reason why SU couldn't have more success if it made more attempts.

I despise Coach K but he's convinced. This year, Duke is stalking 3 of the best (Towns, Tape, Jordan Bruner). Coach Boeheim came back around to the idea because he tried to land 2 of them. As a long-term strategy, I don't believe in it any more than you do. But in a given year, it could help. For a mediocre team likely losing its best player, I think '20-21 might be one of those years.

I've seen his name linked to Marquette and Michigan State. Like his game. Borders may be closed currently, but the SU/Canadian connection should always be open...

I've seen his name linked to Marquette and Michigan State. Like his game. Borders may be closed currently, but the SU/Canadian connection should always be open...

Interesting - thank you! I didn't realize Michigan State had even jumped in. Three visits from Izzo?

We have to be all in on this one!
Doubt that we will be in because he will probably have to sit out one year before he can play. Always like him even though he went to Duke.

Doubt it
Non-grad transfer, 6’6” 190 shooting guard with one year to play (and may have to sit out one year). In 2019-20, he shot only 27.3% from 3, 40.5% overall, 22 turnovers, 22 steals and 22 assists in 29 games, 5.2 ppg and 13 mpg on average. Not sure what he adds that we won't already have, except guard depth and help at practice. But I doubt he’ll go anyplace where he probably won’t start.

Why? He’s a worse version of buddy with one year remaining and would have sit out the upcoming year. Hard pass.

I mean, if that three point percentage goes up just a little bit, he's an upper-echelon ACC guard - straight up dynamic all-around player the type teams are desperate for (plus, he's already 36% for his career and shot 49% as a Frosh from three).

I'm joking. If you read my posts on the main board, well...

I mean, if that three point percentage goes up just a little bit, he's an upper-echelon ACC guard - straight up dynamic all-around player the type teams are desperate for (plus, he's already 36% for his career and shot 49% as a Frosh from three).

I'm joking. If you read my posts on the main board, well...
I mean I know you joke but I didn’t realize everything you posted was meant to be that way.

I mean I know you joke but I didn’t realize everything you posted was meant to be that way.

Sorry, honestly, I'd take him if he didn't have to sit a year, and likely if he did. I think spot players like him, are tremendously useful on a roster. That being said, it may not be the role he wants - and likely isn't as he probably wants to start his last season.

There is some redundancy in the skill set, but I'd also imagine he's better than Buddy - if you MADE me pick one to start for next year if he transferred in now, I'd say he's the one. That's all rather irrelevant though. And would never happen.

Overally, it's quite hard to gauge as his numbers fell off the cliff a bit last year, so I'd want input from the Duke coaches on where he seems to be going - is he still developing, or is this what he is? He's a way better athlete, and has shown the propensity to shoot just as well.

Sorry, honestly, I'd take him if he didn't have to sit a year, and likely if he did. I think spot players like him, are tremendously useful on a roster. That being said, it may not be the role he wants - and likely isn't as he probably wants to start his last season.

There is some redundancy in the skill set, but I'd also imagine he's better than Buddy - if you MADE me pick one to start for next year if he transferred in now, I'd say he's the one. That's all rather irrelevant though. And would never happen.

Overally, it's quite hard to gauge as his numbers fell off the cliff a bit last year, so I'd want input from the Duke coaches on where he seems to be going - is he still developing, or is this what he is? He's a way better athlete, and has shown the propensity to shoot just as well.
AOC and Buddy are the same player.
I don’t get how people can say Buddy is miles better.
O’Connell didn’t get the playing time to be anything more than gunner from the bench.
Duke has been loaded with talent.

He isn’t great but his numbers aren’t garbage. His usage is nowhere near what Buddy’s has been.

I don’t really want this kid unless we could get him for next year but people thinking Buddy is a lot better are just looking at stats without usage rate.

O’Connell isn’t great but he would likely score double digits if he got the shots in this offense.

AOC and Buddy are the same player.
I don’t get how people can say Buddy is miles better.
O’Connell didn’t get the playing time to be anything more than gunner from the bench.
Duke has been loaded with talent.

He isn’t great but his numbers aren’t garbage. His usage is nowhere near what Buddy’s has been.

I don’t really want this kid unless we could get him for next year but people thinking Buddy is a lot better are just looking at stats without usage rate.

O’Connell isn’t great but he would likely score double digits if he got the shots in this offense.
Question, if NCAA passes the rule about 1st time transfers, would you take a flyer on a O’Connell? Depending who else is available and who is interested I would Because he can score.

Question, if NCAA passes the rule about 1st time transfers, would you take a flyer on a O’Connell? Depending what else is available, I would.
Yes. For next year I would take him.
He gives us a forward who can shoot.
As everyone knows if you can’t shoot you are useless.
So I would want him for next year.

I just don’t think AoC and Buddy are that different.

Yes. For next year I would take him.
He gives us a forward who can shoot.
As everyone knows if you can’t shoot you are useless.
So I would want him for next year.

I just don’t think AoC and Buddy are that different.
He shot 27% from 3 and 40% from the field. We don’t need a 6”6 190 lb forward who would be a liability on defense. If anything he would have to play the 2 but he’s basically a worse version of buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom