Traditional Transfer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Traditional Transfer

He shot 27% from 3 and 40% from the field. We don’t need a 6”6 190 lb forward who would be a liability on defense. If anything he would have to play the 2 but he’s basically a worse version of buddy.

I know - but compare apples to apples! His Sophomore season, he started 7 games, is there a single category, advanced or otherwise, that he doesn't best Buddy in? Likely by a fair margin? We would have a much more agile version of Buddy for the zone! If Buddy is great, this kid may be like next-level all-time ACC great! :)

Okay, I'm stepping out of this, because I'm going to derail it and that's not my intent. I was just wanted to make a quick joke, but otherwise, talk about Karim Mane, Canadian Combo Guard, and why on Earth we're not in on the kid!!! Let's get him before Marquette does...nobody really wants to go to Marquette!!

:)

Maybe a losing season at the bottom of the ACC standings might get the old ball coach to reconsider his roster management. Then again he’ll probably just say we need to make shots.
I'd like a team good enough that I don't have to take shots to watch.

Non-grad transfer, 6’6” 190 shooting guard with one year to play (and may have to sit out one year). In 2019-20, he shot only 27.3% from 3, 40.5% overall, 22 turnovers, 22 steals and 22 assists in 29 games, 5.2 ppg and 13 mpg on average. Not sure what he adds that we won't already have, except guard depth and help at practice. But I doubt he’ll go anyplace where he probably won’t start.

i know they have already ran the numbers.. but idk about y’all but every time we played them he would be open. And is your average “white guy that can only hit 3’s” I mean anybody can have a bad game or be cold. But when he was hot and would be hitting him you would be like sob the white dude is in again.

Maybe a losing season at the bottom of the ACC standings might get the old ball coach to reconsider his roster management. Then again he’ll probably just say we need to make shots.

I know this won't register, but no Jim Boeheim coached team will ever approach the bottom of conference standings. If this year didn't prove that definitely, than nothing will.

I know this won't register, but no Jim Boeheim coached team will ever approach the bottom of conference standings. If this year didn't prove that definitely, than nothing will.

This year, in spite of it all, we still had far and away one of the best players in the ACC. And one with 4 years of college in his pocket - so experienced as well.
And the ACC was bad.
I'm not sure we didn't luck out more than anything. :(

This year, in spite of it all, we still had far and away one of the best players in the ACC. And one with 4 years of college in his pocket - so experienced as well.
And the ACC was bad.
I'm not sure we didn't luck out more than anything. :(
Then you should look at how Hop in the PAC-12 or Roy Williams in our same league with all those Micky Ds

Then you should look at how Hop in the PAC-12 or Roy Williams in our same league with all those Micky Ds

Why would I do that? Is that relevant to what I was responding to?

I mean, I can. Just not sure how it helps. Let me know how you want me to proceed.

It happened to Roy Williams. We had the accs leading scorer and the league was really down. Assuming Hughes stays in the draft if we don't add anyone. Jb could be flirting with the bottom of the conference.

Why would I do that? Is that relevant to what I was responding to?

I mean, I can. Just not sure how it helps. Let me know how you want me to proceed.
Because those two teams had more talent but fewer wins so maybe it wasn't luck.

Both of those teams had losing records and long losing streaks 5 games or more this year.

Our coach never had a losing season or a 5 or more game losing streak in 44 years...

Huh? I'm not comparing JB to anyone else and/or their conferences/rosters. I was responding to the notion that, if "this year we didn't do" something, JB likely never will.

The stars sort of aligned for us - we had the easiest schedule I think we ever had in the ACC, it was a horribly down year in the ACC, and if none of those things ring just as true next year, minus-Eli...the chances could be increased that we do finish in the bottom portion. That's all.

With Eli, we at least had the best player in the game most every night we played - that's something to work with. I doubt we have that luxury as much next year.

What Hopkins does seems wholly irrelevant to my point. Same with Roy.

FTR, I have no idea what the ACC is shaping up to look like next year, and I'd never bet against JB. Until I see what the rest of the league looks like, I have no idea about next year. I wouldn't be shocked if we're worse off though even with incremental improvements all-around (unless we add some players).
OK but none of that is true.

We had one of our hardest out of conference schedules maybe ever because we played the fewest amount of cupcakes ever.

Combine that with 20 games ACC we had 25 out of 32 P5 and Gtown games.

Hughes is a very good player and had a very good year, but his coach put him in positions to be successful.

Hughes is not a top 30 player in program history, the sky will not fall without him.

We have a high level freshmen coming in next year who is a big and maybe more athletic than Hughes and another freshmen who is a prototypical SU forward.

We will win 20+ next year book it!

Last edited:
OK but none of that is true.

We had one of our hardest out of conference schedule maybe ever because we played the fewest about of cupcakes ever.

Combine that with 20 games ACC we had 25 out of 32 P5 and Gtown games.

Hughes is a very good player and a very good year, but his coach put him in positions to be successful.

Hughes is not a top 30 player in program history, the sky will not fall without him.

We have a high level freshmen coming in next year who is a big and maybe more athletic than Hughes and another freshmen who is a prototypical SU forward.

We will win 20+ next year book it!

I think you should re-read RF's original post! I'm not debating much of what you think I am.

I am just discussing conference schedule. Hughes is a great player, and I'll continue to insist, one of the best in the ACC, and most nights we had the best player on the floor - because, that's what he was IMO.

We may win 20 games next year. I hope we do! I'm not quite as optimistic, but things may evolve, the roster, the schedule, the state of the ACC...and all of that remains to be seen. My only comment, is that in losing Hughes, I'm not sure that we finish in the top half next year. Also, that this year, we were pretty bad, and the stars aligned for us with the rest of the ACC being horribly down, and getting an easy schedule to allow for a top-half finish.

Anyway, I do hope we pull it off. Kadars seems great - but I still wish we would go after the Montreal kid w/ Guerrier leading the charge. They must know each other - Quebec superstars at this level are a fairly rare breed.

Last edited:
We had the best scorer in the ACC and we still only won 18 games. I feel Boeheim having a losing season might be the only thing to make him less stubborn or maybe he doesn’t care at this point. It is just beyond anything that he didn’t have a backup plan to Towns even with Hughes gone.

I feel Boeheim having a losing season might be the only thing to make him less stubborn or maybe he doesn’t care at this point.
he doesn’t give a F. Jimmy gonna jimmy. Through his lense the team’s shortcomings have nothing to do with his decisions. They just need to make more shots!

It happened to Roy Williams. We had the accs leading scorer and the league was really down. Assuming Hughes stays in the draft if we don't add anyone. Jb could be flirting with the bottom of the conference.
But we're not talking about UNC.

We are talking about Jim Boeheim -- who across four-and-a-half decades of coaching has never had a losing season. That's a pretty big sample size to infer definitively that the man doesn't field losing teams, and isn't going to come anywhere close to the bottom of the standings.

Now, if you want to discuss how GOOD the team will be sans Hughes, I think that is subject to debate. But I reject the notion that we will be at the bottom of the conference standings with 45 years of hard evidence to back me up.

We are talking about Jim Boeheim -- who across four-and-a-half decades of coaching has never had a losing season. That's a pretty big sample size to infer definitively that the man doesn't field losing teams, and isn't going to come anywhere close to the bottom of the standings.

Now, if you want to discuss how GOOD the team will be sans Hughes, I think that is subject to debate. But I reject the notion that we will be at the bottom of the conference standings with 45 years of hard evidence to back me up.
Have to agree. This team overachieved significantly given all its structural weaknesses: a bunch of injuries leaving us with no bench scoring or experience, a frosh PG who's 6'1 in heels, a weak interior D and the offense dependent on one NBA prospect. Somehow, JB turned things around by mid-January. We wound up avenging all the early losses, going .500 in conference and just might have pulled off a miracle in the ACCT. Recruiting's a topic for another thread, but JB's coaching job this year was impressive.

Last edited:
Have to agree. This team overachieved significantly given all its structural weaknesses: a bunch of injuries leaving us with no bench scoring or experience, a frosh PG who's 6'1 in heels, a weak interior D and the offense dependent on one marginal NBA prospect. Somehow, JB turned this SS around by mid-January. We wound up avenging all the early losses, going .500 in conference and just might have pulled off a miracle in the ACCT. Recruiting's a topic for another thread, but JB's coaching job this year was impressive.
The team had one of the 5 best players in the conference.
We grinded 10 wins but let’s not pretend this wasn’t possible.
We played as down an ACC schedule as we will get.
Last year’s Syracuse team probably goes 13-7 or 14-6 with this schedule.

Fans with brains had no expectations this year because we all saw what the time was. Hughes leap is why we had a winning season. The offense first style did make the games more appealing but people were patience because this was supposed to set us to be good next year.
Which now losing means another low expectation season like this year. Hope to grind onto the bubble and into the tournament.

Jimmy doesn’t have losing seasons. After the length of his career that much should be obvious. Jimmy will squeeze everything ounce of his team to ensure we put forth a competitive product on the court. No reason any changes this year. 20 wins and battling for a tournament berth is the safe bet.

Cuse!

I think you should re-read RF's original post! I'm not debating much of what you think I am.

I am just discussing conference schedule. Hughes is a great player, and I'll continue to insist, one of the best in the ACC, and most nights we had the best player on the floor - because, that's what he was IMO.

We may win 20 games next year. I hope we do! I'm not quite as optimistic, but things may evolve, the roster, the schedule, the state of the ACC...and all of that remains to be seen. My only comment, is that in losing Hughes, I'm not sure that we finish in the top half next year. Also, that this year, we were pretty bad, and the stars aligned for us with the rest of the ACC being horribly down, and getting an easy schedule to allow for a top-half finish.

Anyway, I do hope we pull it off. Kadars seems great - but I still wish we would go after the Montreal kid w/ Guerrier leading the charge. They must know each other - Quebec superstars at this level are a fairly rare breed.
I get it. You want to statement opinion and dismiss history, facts and data that are contrary to your stated opinion.

I'm cool with that, we have had 44 years of luck and in my opinion next year will #45...time will tell

I'm going to summarize my thoughts here since you were who I initially responded to )in hopes of getting Gabjon to stop responding):

1. Agree. Talking about JB!
2. I think the degree of difficulty in maintaining that streak sans Hughes is going to go up even MORE. I mean, one more loss and we were bottom half this year, no?

So, let's see what happens. Sidibe could be a revelation, Q, Kadary, the schedule, a transfer may join up...way too many moving parts to make intelligent guesses now.

That's the totality of my argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom