Traditional Transfer | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Traditional Transfer

You're a very disagreeable sort of person, eh?

Perhaps you're just being contrarian, but I'm at a loss. I keep explaining over and over that you're arguing a point that I'm not making - and yet you keep coming back. I was responding to RF, not giving general opinion on JB and/or how he compares to other coaches! I'm quite aware of his history. I wouldn't bet against him moving forward. I think the degree of difficulty may be rising after catching a break on the schedule this year - that's all I AM SAYING.
Dear god.

If you want to compare, go crazy on Roy and let us know what you find. Had he ever had less than .600 winning percentage or 5 game losing streak prior to this year? 1? None?

How many did JB have before the past 6 years? How many in the last 6 years? Things sometimes change.
lol! than you don't understand who makes the schedule...

The ACC?

What are you talking about??????????????????????????

If I'm debating the CONFERENCE standings, how is anything that you keep saying even tangentially relevant to what I'm arguing?

You think JB MAKES THE FREAKING CONFERENCE SCHEDULE?!?!?!? Do you think they have an auction before the season and you bid on who you play and how many times and where? What are you even arguing? Please, stop. You're making this quarantine so much worse than it has to be.

The conference schedule may be known next year, I haven't checked, but I do not think for one second that JB picks it...if he does, he should just draft BC a whole lot more IMO.

Also, just to be kind, as perhaps you don't, if you really don't know the difference between conference games, and non-conference games, and the standings in-conference, just ask.
The rules of how the ACC is scheduled WERE NEGOTIATED like all contracts are NEGOTIATED and we WILL play Pitt and BC twice in an UNBALANCED schedule the IS in our BENEFIT.....DO YOU KNOW HOW THESE THINGS WORK?

The team had one of the 5 best players in the conference.
We grinded 10 wins but let’s not pretend this wasn’t possible.
We played as down an ACC schedule as we will get.
Last year’s Syracuse team probably goes 13-7 or 14-6 with this schedule.

Fans with brains had no expectations this year because we all saw what the time was. Hughes leap is why we had a winning season. The offense first style did make the games more appealing but people were patience because this was supposed to set us to be good next year.
Which now losing means another low expectation season like this year. Hope to grind onto the bubble and into the tournament.

Not necessarily. Next year's team isn't just this year's team minus Hughes. Your assessment also does not account for potential improvement from returnees. And we don't know who is going to be added to the mix -- I would bank on at least one more player being brought in, possibly two.

Again, the question wasn't about whether the team will be NCAA worthy -- I was responding to a statement about our team being at the bottom of the standings.

Not necessarily. Next year's team isn't just this year's team minus Hughes. Your assessment also does not account for potential improvement from returnees. And we don't know who is going to be added to the mix -- I would bank on at least one more player being brought in, possibly two.

Again, the question wasn't about whether the team will be NCAA worthy -- I was responding to a statement about our team being at the bottom of the standings.
I don’t think we will be bottom of the standings.
I realize JB is a good coach but being mediocre is tiresome.
We are Jeff Fisher as an NFL coach the last 6 years.
7-9 to 9-7.

I would honestly be okay one terrible season if it set us up to a contender and top of the conference contender.

Being 6th to 9th is no man’s land.

Jimmy doesn’t have losing seasons. After the length of his career that much should be obvious. Jimmy will squeeze everything ounce of his team to ensure we put forth a competitive product on the court. No reason any changes this year. 20 wins and battling for a tournament berth is the safe bet.

Cuse!
I don't think that's a safe bet anymore.

We haven't ended the regular season with 20+ wins since 2014. That's insane.

JB teams also haven't had this little talent, this lack of athleticism, a lack of defense on the interior and various other warts. That's how he's avoided losing seasons and routinely won 20+ with rare NIT seasons. Now, we're lucky if we get to 20 wins after 33+ games and squeak into the Tourney.

With where this has been trending, what next year's roster is shaping up to be and what I assume will be a stronger ACC with a tougher schedule for us, saying 20 wins and battling for a Tourney bid being a safe bet is even a stretch. Barring some out of nowhere additions and unrealistic internal improvements, there's little reason to believe next season will be any better than the last 6 years of struggle. We've lost 13+ in each of the last 6 seasons, before that JB only had 4 total 13+ loss seasons (all NIT years).

The Portal - What is the transfer portal?

It is up to the individual school to develop policies regarding portal requests.

The downside for student-athletes is that their current school can reduce or stop giving them athletics aid at the end of the term in which the request was made to enter the Transfer Portal.

“Anyone who comes to me, the first question I ask is: Have you talked to your family?” says Steve Corder, assistant athletics director for compliance at Detroit Mercy. “A lot of times kids want to leave on scholarship, and their parents may not understand why they are willing to give that up. There may be a conversation that needs to be had about how will college be paid for if another scholarship opportunity doesn’t arise.”

If student-athletes withdraw from the portal, the original school can return them to the roster and restore athletics aid if it chooses.

The Portal - What is the transfer portal?

It is up to the individual school to develop policies regarding portal requests.

The downside for student-athletes is that their current school can reduce or stop giving them athletics aid at the end of the term in which the request was made to enter the Transfer Portal.

“Anyone who comes to me, the first question I ask is: Have you talked to your family?” says Steve Corder, assistant athletics director for compliance at Detroit Mercy. “A lot of times kids want to leave on scholarship, and their parents may not understand why they are willing to give that up. There may be a conversation that needs to be had about how will college be paid for if another scholarship opportunity doesn’t arise.”

If student-athletes withdraw from the portal, the original school can return them to the roster and restore athletics aid if it chooses.
This is so relevant (not to SU).

Once a player enters the portal, his is essentially triggering the potential end of his college career. Think about that. His program, the one that he spurned, which has invested time and money in him, can use it to get "out from under" your scholarship and begin anew with a new player/talent.

It's nuts that so many kids are doing this. It is the travel-team mentality and it is going to cost a bunch of kids in the long run. And that is the real shame.

The grass ain't always greener.

This is so relevant (not to SU).

Once a player enters the portal, his is essentially triggering the potential end of his college career. Think about that. His program, the one that he spurned, which has invested time and money in him, can use it to get "out from under" your scholarship and begin anew with a new player/talent.

It's nuts that so many kids are doing this. It is the travel-team mentality and it is going to cost a bunch of kids in the long run. And that is the real shame.

The grass ain't always greener.

True.

While it’s likely that most will land somewhere - there’s no guarantee that there will be a chair for all of them when the music stops.

Would be a really sucky way to lose your free college education.

Right now the NCAA is trying to figure out what to do with Baseball and Lacrosse seniors. You know they can't handle two problems at once.
Good point.

If JB puts in the effort we should be ok. He is an amazing coach but Hop did his recruiting and his assistants aren't in Hops league. JB needs to take the lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom