Traditional Transfer | Syracusefan.com

Traditional Transfer

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
I'm really surprised JB doesn't go this route more (I would almost take one each year).

There's so many pros with a traditional transfer ie year to grow in the program and learn the zone without burning an eligible year, they've seen the college game already and not wide eyed like a freshmen coming in, and most importantly, usually don't have a freshmen body (lol).

He's seen the success of Hughes, Wes Jo and others. I know it's hard to "gage" the team and positions two years in advance but if there is ever a team/program to do it with, it's ours.

thoughts?

thoughts?
It's a fine line. I think it's tough to get guys to sit a year and then compete for minutes. They're going to want some kind of assurance that they're not going to be benched to make the jump. The staff has to be certain that the player is going to thrive in the system. On the plus side, most of the time, the last 2-3 players on scholarship aren't typically around for the whole four years. So the team isn't losing a valuable scholarship by giving it to a traditional transfer.

Also, guys like Wes and G don't show up on the transfer line often. Mostly it seems to be guys bouncing from higher programs to lower ones when they lose their jobs because they couldn't play at the level or they're recruited over. Occasionally there's a few moving up like Hughes. I think the pickins are usually pretty slim on the transfer front.

It's a fine line. I think it's tough to get guys to sit a year and then compete for minutes. They're going to want some kind of assurance that they're not going to be benched to make the jump. The staff has to be certain that the player is going to thrive in the system. On the plus side, most of the time, the last 2-3 players on scholarship aren't typically around for the whole four years. So the team isn't losing a valuable scholarship by giving it to a traditional transfer.

Also, guys like Wes and G don't show up on the transfer line often. Mostly it seems to be guys bouncing from higher programs to lower ones when they lose their jobs because they couldn't play at the level or they're recruited over. Occasionally there's a few moving up like Hughes. I think the pickins are usually pretty slim on the transfer front.

looking at the Sit list...the top 10...I see 7-8 of them that could come and play with us next year.

Most of these guys are moving up in conferences. We play in arguably the best one. One of those Hauser brothers..woooo

It seems like a no-brainer under the proposed rule change. An article on the ESPN site says:

“What criteria would need to be met to qualify for transfer with no penalty?

Under the proposal, the student-athlete transferring for the first time in his/her undergraduate career would need to receive a transfer release from the previous school, leave the previous school academically eligible, maintain academic progress at the new school and leave under no disciplinary suspension.

When would it go into effect?

The working group is seeking feedback from Division I members through student-athlete representatives, conference offices, impacted coaches' associations and other collegiate athletic professional organizations. The group will take that feedback into the council's April meetings and according to the NCAA release, the group's goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfer in the 2020-21 academic year.”

That’s 3 studs in 10 years for a guy like JB who generally doesn’t believe in transfers except in case of emergency. I’d say that might be a better use of a scholarship then taking a flyer on the odd 150lb string bean center.

yes he'll be a graduate student and yes he'll be immediately eligible, but seth towns is more like a traditional transfer than a grad transfer. gradxfers have a single year of eligibility left and may be out the door as soon as that single season ends. but towns has 2 years which means he is in it for a longer haul and committing to a program, rather than a program committing to a short term stop gap.

i don't like gradxfers, but towns is different. should he choose su, he'll spend as much time on the hill as did wes & eli.

That’s 3 studs in 10 years for a guy like JB who generally doesn’t believe in transfers except in case of emergency. I’d say that might be a better use of a scholarship then taking a flyer on the odd 150lb string bean center.
don't forget chukwu who i think was a moderately successful transfer despite being what you'd call a "string bean" (though obviously not 150#s)

I think the team would have been significantly better (3-4 wins) this season if PC stayed.

Agreed 144%.

For all his limitations, PC was an elite rim protector, decent rebounder, improved FT shooter, and 5 more fouls to give from the C position.
ALL of those things would have been very good to have this season.

From his bio on OrangeHoops.org (thx Ray!)
Chukwu had the best game of his career in an upset over #1 ranked Duke.
He would score 10 points, have 18 rebounds and three blocked shots against Duke's formidable front line duo of R.J. Barrett and Zion Williamson.

Gak is transferring from Florida... idk if he is worth it... somebody with more knowledge than me check it out.

This is a problem, "Likely done even with scholarships available after transfers"
Its risky going into a season with 3 guards, one guy rolls an ankle, and you have no margin for error with the roster.
what if Kadary doesn't transition well to the college game? there is then no one to challenge for minutes
Does anybody think K, Cal, Izzo, etc would just stand pat with scholarships still available? that's the difference between those programs and Cuse right now. Jim and the staff are on cruise control and just going through the motions when it comes to recruiting and adding max talent to the roster.

This is a problem, "Likely done even with scholarships available after transfers"
Its risky going into a season with 3 guards, one guy rolls an ankle, and you have no margin for error with the roster.
what if Kadary doesn't transition well to the college game? there is then no one to challenge for minutes
Does anybody think K, Cal, Izzo, etc would just stand pat with scholarships still available? that's the difference between those programs and Cuse right now. Jim and the staff are on cruise control and just going through the motions when it comes to recruiting and adding max talent to the roster.

Agreed. And the beauty of graduate transfers is that they don't clog up scholarships for future recruiting classes. In fact, they help you fill holes and win now, thus making the program more attractive to your high school targets.

I certainly don't advocate graduate transfer as a regular course of action, but in particular years when talent level is lower or you lose a great player, it can be a big boost. I don't think anyone wants to know what the 2016-17 Orange would have looked like without White/Gillon. Next year, we might have an idea.

So basically what I have been saying finally someone else says it.

Our roster is not good enough right now to be content with it.

We have no replacement for Hughes.
That is a big time mistake.

They’ll learn the hard way next season. There’s no other way to put it.

Maybe Hughes plans to return? I'm not sure why he would but its not impossible.

I take JB's comments with a grain of salt ALWAYS.

I believe he considers basically everything IN HOUSE BUSINESS.

I believe he KNOWS Elijah's plans (And yes things do change especially these days)

and I believe they are actively recruiting both transfers and 2021

My is guess is we will reach out to players who we previously recruited and have good relationships with and 2021 players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom