Tyler Ennis / Lakers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis / Lakers

Just to be clear I do not support player choice. I am a Syracuse fan so I am not in favor of anything that does not make Syracuse better (and I don't want to hear the argument that players leaving early helps our recruiting). I do however agree that Ennis was never going to be drafted any higher. Anyone that thinks that Tyler was, I point out that Tyler would be signing a $10 Million contract now because of how much he improved/developed. BUT...there is no doubt that Tyler is a better player now than when he was drafted. He was always a very good game manager and he still is. But he's experienced now so he's an even better game manager and he has gotten better in other facets of his game. He's a better shooter, stronger, better ball handler and more aggressive. I still think he was a very over drafted player. The fact that now as a better player and still only 22/23 he is only signing for the $1.5M minimum proves that. From a draft aspect he is the opposite of Jason Hart but could end up having a similar (or better) 10 year NBA career. Good for him. He was always nothing but class and a good leader. Now if he can just remember in practice to stay up in Lonzo's face and keep him from getting that ugly looking jumper off...

Just to be clear I do not support player choice. I am a Syracuse fan so I am not in favor of anything that does not make Syracuse better (and I don't want to hear the argument that players leaving early helps our recruiting). I do however agree that Ennis was never going to be drafted any higher. Anyone that thinks that Tyler was, I point out that Tyler would be signing a $10 Million contract now because of how much he improved/developed. BUT...there is no doubt that Tyler is a better player now than when he was drafted. He was always a very good game manager and he still is. But he's experienced now so he's an even better game manager and he has gotten better in other facets of his game. He's a better shooter, stronger, better ball handler and more aggressive. I still think he was a very over drafted player. The fact that now as a better player and still only 22/23 he is only signing for the $1.5M minimum proves that. From a draft aspect he is the opposite of Jason Hart but could end up having a similar (or better) 10 year NBA career. Good for him. He was always nothing but class and a good leader. Now if he can just remember in practice to stay up in Lonzo's face and keep him from getting that ugly looking jumper off...
So you believe college athletes should be indetured for their entire eligibility? Wow!

I think it's a tough spot because he only has a year (basically) and he's third on the depth chart. But I don't follow LAL much so I could be wrong.

According to ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne, Ennis will earn the league minimum of $1.5 million in 2017-18.

Derrick Rose got 2.1 Million. Is that good for a first rounder?

Derrick Rose has also earned over $100 million in salary and has a $185 million Adidas contract. Forbes ranked him the 22nd highest-paid athlete in the world and the 87th highest-paid celebrity in the world in 2017, earning $34.3 million. Not really comparable to Ennis.

Derrick Rose

According to ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne, Ennis will earn the league minimum of $1.5 million in 2017-18.

Derrick Rose got 2.1 Million. Is that good for a first rounder?

The $815k came from spotrac. Usually they are the most reliable in the business with contracts. I aint vouching for them though.

and Cmon dude. Do you want me to explain the differences between Ennis and Rose?

1. Lets start with MVP
2. Move on to max deal
3. and then to huge shoe deal
4. then well talk about this being Ennis' 2nd contract
*extra credit* and PS Rose is either chasing a championship or betting on himself - nether of which Ennis is doing - This is NOT market value for Rose. This IS market value for Ennis.
*extra credit* I wont even talk about injuries derailing Rose's career (and also probably being a bit of a sissy) - but he is *i would argue* a clear top 5 player in the league if he didnt get derailed.

DRose is probably worth $100 million
Ennis may be worth $2 million

Dont let the facts get in the way of my rooting for him. But he needs to prove himself. He is 1 bad season from Dleague or Europe right now.

Idk what needs to prove himself means. I just laugh that people are poo pooing veteran minimum contracts now. That was my point. Good for him that Ball is the only other legit pg.

The dollar value is 1.5 million. At this point the only players making less than a million per year is udfa's and 2nd rounders in their first contract.

The $815k came from spotrac. Usually they are the most reliable in the business with contracts. I aint vouching for them though.

and Cmon dude. Do you want me to explain the differences between Ennis and Rose?

1. Lets start with MVP
2. Move on to max deal
3. and then to huge shoe deal
4. then well talk about this being Ennis' 2nd contract
*extra credit* and PS Rose is either chasing a championship or betting on himself - nether of which Ennis is doing - This is NOT market value for Rose. This IS market value for Ennis.
*extra credit* I wont even talk about injuries derailing Rose's career (and also probably being a bit of a sissy) - but he is *i would argue* a clear top 5 player in the league if he didnt get derailed.

DRose is probably worth $100 million
Ennis may be worth $2 million

Dont let the facts get in the way of my rooting for him. But he needs to prove himself. He is 1 bad season from Dleague or Europe right now.
It is, by definition, market value for Rose. That market may change next year.

I predict Tyler gets solid minutes and averages like 8 and 4.

Been waiting for this to happen, glad that It did.

As a Laker fan, it's moves like this that let me know which fans to ignore. Bunch of idiots on the message boards/twitter/FB who wanted Derrick Rose or Rondo to be the backup point. LOL.

This move is perfect for both parties. Ennis is young but experienced, played well down the stretch, has the potential to develop into a solid backup PG, and will cause zero issues on the team, for a team that is young and building and has no unrealistic expectations for this year. Cheap one year contract with a team option, as things will pick up next summer.

Ennis probably gets an opportunity for solid minutes to further establish himself as a guy who belongs in this league. Ball as a rookie probably isn't going to play crazy minutes.

Hopefully Tyler continues to shoot well, like he did with the Lakers last year. If he can repeat that going forward there's no question in my mind that he'll be a solid pro.

Couldn't agree more. The Lakers haven't had that many SU guys over the years, so one that is staying another year...

Terrible contract. If only he had stayed at Syracuse another two years and developed his body into that of a greek god ... he could be looking at 5/100.

I know you're being sarcastic but Ennis was the recent early entrant from SU that got the least heat. Most everyone knew Tyler was Chris Thomas 2.0 if he stayed

It is, by definition, market value for Rose. That market may change next year.

1. the amount for which something can be sold on a given market.

If he was offered a (hypothetical) 4 yr $40 mil deal, that is market value. If he decided to take less, that doesn't change his market value.

Couldn't agree more. The Lakers haven't had that many SU guys over the years, so one that is staying another year...

Ennis, Wes Johnson, and a brief stint by late career Danny Schayes are the only Cuse players for the Lakers I can think of.

I know you're being sarcastic but Ennis was the recent early entrant from SU that got the least heat. Most everyone knew Tyler was Chris Thomas 2.0 if he stayed

Yep. 100% correct.

unfortunately not great for a 1st rounder. Glad hes got 1 more year to prove it, but he is on the bottom looking up now. Wes was able to claw his way into a decent contract after his 3rd trial run - so not too late to give up. Better to be making 1.5 mil than 50k but better be saving 75-90% of it.

Dont kill me! But if this is a Uconn player, we are saying this too.

edit - i just read its only $815k? Syracuse.com posted the minimum for player with 3+ yrs exp was 1.5 mil. I thought that seemed high, must be 10 yr vet min.

If you're outside the lottery it's a crap shoot who sticks. Here are the #18 picks from 1995-2016

Theo Ratliff
John Wallace
Chris Anstey
Misrad Turckan
James Posey
Quentin Richardson
Jason Collins
Curtis Borchardt
David West
J.R. Smith
Gerald Green
Oleksiy Pecherov
Marco Belinelli
Javale McGee
Ty Lawson
Eric Bledsoe
Chris Singleton
Terrence Jones
Shane Larkin
Tyler Ennis
Sam Dekker
Henry Ellenson

David West was the only All Star of this bunch

He was lucky that the 2014 draft suuuuuuucked

Idk what needs to prove himself means. I just laugh that people are poo pooing veteran minimum contracts now. That was my point. Good for him that Ball is the only other legit pg.

The dollar value is 1.5 million. At this point the only players making less than a million per year is udfa's and 2nd rounders in their first contract.

People are poo pooing 1.5 mil because of guys like Hardaway getting 71 mil, its all about that 2nd contract, right now like someone else mentioned Ennis is one bad year away from the d-league or Europe.

People are poo pooing 1.5 mil because of guys like Hardaway getting 71 mil, its all about that 2nd contract, right now like someone else mentioned Ennis is one bad year away from the d-league or Europe.

That's why he struck when the iron was hot and left when he did. Could have easily been no time in the NBA before off to D-League or Europe. I know, I know - he would be an all star if he had stayed all 4 years...

Whatever, I knew I was going to have a completely different opinion than most here. That's kind of a negative way to look at it. Last year was the first year he played since he's been drafted so you can look at it like he's got another opportunity. Anyway, he's still only 22 and made more money than most people make probably in their life.

By the way for everyone there's 15 NBA roster spots now and 2 other guys on 2 way G league contracts going forward, so essentially the roster size for an NBA team going forward is 17.

Ennis, Wes Johnson, and a brief stint by late career Danny Schayes are the only Cuse players for the Lakers I can think of.
You are forgetting the only Syracuse player with an NBA championship ring. Marty Byrnes, 1980, LA Lakers.

Yeah... its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more complicated than that.

Tyler Ennis is an NBA player. That's still pretty good.

Yeah definitely - as i clearly put it in my post - its better to get the minimum (ugh but that minimum team option is so AWFUL no matter how you put it... Palinka or whatever his name is has ALL OF UPSIDE in this deal) than to already be D-league or Europe. But his NBA life has his back to rope.

Hope he responds and kills it. Or just pulls enough of a Wes and gets rewarded with a 4 yr 20 mil deal.

Anyway, he's still only 22 and made more money than most people make probably in their life.

again... wayyy more complicated than you think it is.

I do a lot of personal finance studying. Its a freaky hobby of mine.

There are savings issues, compounding interest issues (time is your biggest ally - ennis doesnt have time), peer pressure issues, physiological issues, family issues, and more. My work lifespan is 43-48 years if I need it of a probable increasing wage. His is 5-12 years where all of his money is on the front end and if he doesnt go into d1 or nba coaching - will have no real world experience (and no degree YET) to make decent money after.

Thats why the 2nd contract is so vital. Ennis will have made about $7.5 million (pre agent, pre taxes, pre management, pre spend) in 4 years. That is great money - but not lifetime lasting money unless he saved ~90-95% of it or is OK with living on $25ish-50ishk per year + whatever he can earn in a new job (which he may be). but its a far cry from the 1.5 million which he took as a pay cut.

Tyler Ennis

and here is spotrac who is still saying $815 with a 1.3 team option (ughhhh the worst part!! He sucks he gets cut. hes wins MVP and nba title, he gets 1.3 mil)

Spotrac is by far the best when it comes to contracts. I'd believe them over Ramona on contracts. But again - I'm just pointing this out. I hope its the 1.5 mil that ramona reported.

Tyler Ennis

and here is spotrac who is still saying $815 with a 1.3 team option (ughhhh the worst part!! He sucks he gets cut. hes wins MVP and nba title, he gets 1.3 mil)

Spotrac is by far the best when it comes to contracts. I'd believe them over Ramona on contracts. But again - I'm just pointing this out. I hope its the 1.5 mil that ramona reported.

I'm not going to get in the personal finance part, because that's not my point. If that's your point than ok. He can still go to Europe and make over 200k a year like Triche and Devendorf did at one point.

It's still impossible to make 815 million unless you are a first year rookie making the minimum.

He's a 4th year player making the minimum so it starts at 1.57 million. Derrick Rose is in his 9th year so he makes 2.1 million. This chart shows the minimum scale.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom