Tyler Ennis | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis

Doc5120

Starter
I was able to watch the game in it's entirety last night. I read Tomcat's & RF's excellent breakdown of the team and what they saw. And rather than give my thoughts on everything and essentially restate what they said, I wanted to concentrate on Tyler Ennis.

I realize last night's competition wasn't exactly Duke or UNC, however...Ennis impressed me from the opening tip. I thought he was the 2nd best player on the floor (behind Fair). He was always completely under control, in charge of the game, and had a cool, calm demeanor about him well beyond his years. He knew when to pass, when to shoot, and most importantly in my mind, how to lead. He doesn't appear to be the vocal type, but one thing that really stood out to me was the way he went over to Cooney after he knocked a couple 3's down, and said something to him. I'm assuming here, but I'm sure it was positive reinforcement letting Cooney know, I'll find you...just keep shooting & knocking them down. To have the confidence within yourself to lead a team of older, more seasoned players is a trait not too many young PG's possess. For a freshman off of basically a week of practice, this is truly saying something.

I understand this was only one game, and anyone can be real good or real bad for one game. But the way Ennis handled himself is what really jumped off the screen to me. I think we're in great shape with this young guy leading the team. The future is bright!

In a dream scenario, if only Fair and Ennis were on the floor, you'd think everything was in slow motion until you looked at the score. They both play with a seemingly effortless manner that sometimes makes it look like they are just going through the motions. Two special players that will lead this team along with Grant.

He doesn't appear to be the vocal type, but one thing that really stood out to me was the way he went over to Cooney after he knocked a couple 3's down, and said something to him.
quote]

Good write up. I've always felt that being really vocal is overrated. The most important thing is finding a way to resonate with your teammates. If Ennis can do this with the occasional word to his teammates, that's fine with me

He reminds me of this guy:
MJSTJ.jpg

I think the staff and JB deserve lots of credit for getting this guy for THIS team. With so many young and unproven backcourt guys as well as many raw talents; having a sound, poised, and steady freshman is HUGE, imo. A ball hog/chucking PG would not be good for this team. Ennis' maturity seems pretty rare for a frosh PG, especially.

I want to see how he is vs the whack n hack teams when the refs don't call it. If this young man just continues to play hard and doesn't cry and throw his arms up in frustration...things will only get better and better. Ennis has a lot of tools and maturity is a huge one at the point, I think he'll be fine but still I want to wait and see.

I want to see how he is vs the whack n hack teams when the refs don't call it. If this young man just continues to play hard and doesn't cry and throw his arms up in frustration...things will only get better and better. Ennis has a lot of tools and maturity is a huge one at the point, I think he'll be fine but still I want to wait and see.
We're in the acc now... there will be no physicality.

I've always said Ennis reminds me most of Edelin with a better outside shot. Cool, calm and collected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The exact words i would use to describe what ive seen of him, which was not yesterday's game but rather one of his televised high school contests. I might add another c along the lines of 'in control'.

He's much better than Edelin. Don't see any similarity other than they're both PGs.

I'm not ready to say that. We have a small sample size.

I think Ennis will be very good and I'm hoping he can provide some outside shooting accuracy, but I do see similarities in his game with Edelin. Both play heady under control PG. Neither give the appearance that they are burners. Ennis like Edelin has great vision and court awareness, and I expect Ennis to hit his teammates in positions that maximize their offensive game. I see similarities.

I think Ennis will be very good and I'm hoping he can provide some outside shooting accuracy, but I do see similarities in his game with Edelin. Both play heady under control PG. Neither give the appearance that they are burners. Ennis like Edelin has great vision and court awareness, and I expect Ennis to hit his teammates in positions that maximize their offensive game. I see similarities.

In the small sample size the biggest thing I see is that Tyler is definitely a better shooter than Billy and is more agile with decent lateral speed. He also plays with more pace. That said, Billy was a master of getting into the paint and using both hands to drop buckets off the glass or over taller defenders. Tyler has similar capabilities it seems and hopefully he can be a guy that when needed can score 15-20 points.

On another note- I know their is concern over 3pt shooting at the SG spot, however I think the one thing that can't be highlighted enough is we should get much better 3pt shooting from the PG spot this year. Not necessarily high volume but better % for sure. Last year we really had no threat at all from any of the guards to shoot from deep so that forced us to keep James up near the top of the key and all along the perimeter to act as a swing guard in that role.

I think Ennis is a master at finding his teammates in comfortable positions for them to score. I also think he is great at reading the flow of the game and maximizing momentum. He fed Trevor Cooney for his second three in the second half, and you could tell that he was looking for him, because Trevor was feeling it, and he needed it. Ennis dished it back to TC at the perfect time so that TC could just step into it and fire away and it was the best looking shot he had all game. The rest of his shots were never set, he wasn't squared up or he was aiming it. Anyway, I think Ennis is a very special player, I think he will have decent stats, but his influence will go far beyond the stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom