Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect

given the status of the program, he should declare for the draft. i have no doubt about it. there is nothing to be gained by him staying. what has happened this year to lydon, has not much to with lydon. the pros know this and i think he will be a top 20. if not in top 20 then yes he should stay. i would love to see him play for the celtics. that is something i never thought i would say being an old nats fan!!!
Status of the program? You make it sound like we're Rutgers.

given the status of the program, he should declare for the draft. i have no doubt about it. there is nothing to be gained by him staying. what has happened this year to lydon, has not much to with lydon. the pros know this and i think he will be a top 20. if not in top 20 then yes he should stay. i would love to see him play for the celtics. that is something i never thought i would say being an old nats fan!!!

If he wants to stay in college it's his decision not yours. Let the young man do what he wants.

Looks like he is dropping steadily on mock drafts to late first / second round:

NBAdraft.net - 24
NBAdraftroom.com - 42
draftexpress.com - 22
Chad Ford - 25

Had a conversation Monday night with someone very connected with the program. He tells me Tyler is on track to get his degree in three years and his family is starting to strongly support his return next year. He will definitely declare and go through the evaluation process but there is at least a glimmer of hope. Personally I would be surprised as I don't see a significant improvement in his draft prospects (he has shown his potential and ceiling IMO) even if his game improves but this may not be the done deal that everyone is expecting.

NBAdraft.net - 24
NBAdraftroom.com - 42
draftexpress.com - 22
Chad Ford - 25

Had a conversation Monday night with someone very connected with the program. He tells me Tyler is on track to get his degree in three years and his family is starting to strongly support his return next year. He will definitely declare and go through the evaluation process but there is at least a glimmer of hope. Personally I would be surprised as I don't see a significant improvement in his draft prospects (he has shown his potential and ceiling IMO) even if his game improves but this may not be the done deal that everyone is expecting.

Now if we could find a Point Guard to go with he, Battle and Thompson we would have a legit good team.

NBAdraft.net - 24
NBAdraftroom.com - 42
draftexpress.com - 22
Chad Ford - 25

That is really good to hear. I get it the money in the NBA is like an unresistible naked beautiful woman. Selfishly speaking, it would be great to watch Lydon play CBB his junior year. Between Lydon, Battle, and Thompson, and with a descent point-guard we could have a really good team. I'm not sure where the PG is going to come from yet. But I'm just assuming one is going to be there.

NBAdraft.net - 24
NBAdraftroom.com - 42
draftexpress.com - 22
Chad Ford - 25

I'm all for players declaring without an agent and going through the workouts. If he comes back, earns his degree in three years and bounces after that I certainly wouldn't blame him one bit.

Small foward? i,d take a fifth year BJ.

IF Lydon were to return - and despite what I heard and posted I would be surprised if he did - he would almost have to play the 3, wouldn't he? Chukwu, Thompson, Moyer, Sidibe and Brisset all seem to be either 4s or 5s, don't they? Assume we end up with two of three from Ayala, Duarte and HW. Even if Frank is not back that could free up Battle to swing between 2 and 3. Lydon then can fill any of the three front court positions and give the kind of lineup flexibility that JB craves.

Man, this team's lineup didn't even come together until January ... of this year. I have no idea what to expect for next season. Hell, there's a non-zero (though very small) chance that it's just Moyer (ETA: and Thompson) returning. So, in summary, I'd like to see them pile up as much talent as possible and leave a spot for a 5th year or Lydon if we wants to come back. There's no reason to not have a full 11-man roster going into next season.

Last edited:
That is really good to hear. I get it the money in the NBA is like an unresistible naked beautiful woman. Selfishly speaking, it would be great to watch Lydon play CBB his junior year. Between Lydon, Battle, and Thompson, and with a descent point-guard we could have a really good team. I'm not sure where the PG is going to come from yet. But I'm just assuming one is going to be there.

We are Syracuse. We will get somebody. We did last year, and we will this year too.

It will be bad to go through another season with such a limited bench. At the end of the Louisville game, several players were so tired they were stepping on their tongues. Lydon and White played 45 minutes. Gillon played close to that and as PG had to put forth a lot more effort than the others. Hopefully we win the 1st game in the ACC tournament but the 2nd game could be a killer no matter who we play. Luckily Howard has been playing better and giving us 7 players instead of 6.

he leaves this year he's on a first class ticket to nowhere

He is absolutely not ready and will be back. He is invisible at times while he should be dominating his college foes as an NBA prospect. He was totally outplayed again and I really believe his stock is going to drop outside first round.

He is absolutely not ready and will be back. He is invisible at times while he should be dominating his college foes as an NBA prospect. He was totally outplayed again and I really believe his stock is going to drop outside first round.

What did you think before McCullough left?

Now if we could find a Point Guard to go with he, Battle and Thompson we would have a legit good team.
But that's strictly in terms of offensive output. Unless Hop takes over, the defense isn't suddenly going to dramatically change for better or worse. There will be even more roster turnover next year. For all the zone bashers, this is the one year they finally have convincing statistics supporting the claim that the zone is a major liability. This is our worst KenPom defense since the records have been tracked, and it's not even close.

At the game, Lammers looked twice the player Lydon is. Both talent wise and physically.

Positive for Lydon - His game translates well to the NBA.

But that's strictly in terms of offensive output. Unless Hop takes over, the defense isn't suddenly going to dramatically change for better or worse. There will be even more roster turnover next year. For all the zone bashers, this is the one year they finally have convincing statistics supporting the claim that the zone is a major liability. This is our worst KenPom defense since the records have been tracked, and it's not even close.

How does the zone being bad this year mean it has to be bad next year?

What did you think before McCullough left?

Aren't the draft rules different now? I could easily see Lydon entering the workouts for the draft, having the nba lower his stock a bit, and him decide to come back.

Hope not for his sake, seems like a great kid. But I don't see his stock rising at all in any NBA draft workouts.

Give me a reason why it will be dramatically improved?

We won't have a midget PG and Battle, Lydon, and Thompson will have a year of expierience and improve. We will have a legit athletic Syracuse wing in Brissett.

We won't have a midget PG and Battle, Lydon, and Thompson will have a year of expierience and improve. We will have a legit athletic Syracuse wing in Brissett.

And a 7'2" center protecting the rim.

If Lydon returns (and I don't believe that likely at all) it will only be because he has graded out very poorly at the combine and has almost certainly fallen out of the first round. If that happens, his NBA ship has probably sailed.

If Lydon returns (and I don't believe that likely at all) it will only be because he has graded out very poorly at the combine and has almost certainly fallen out of the first round. If that happens, his NBA ship has probably sailed.

I think he returns to graduate in 3 years and goes next year based upon what people close to the program have said. He can be a bigger factor here next year and still go as a Junior.

I think he returns to graduate in 3 years and goes next year based upon what people close to the program have said. He can be a bigger factor here next year and still go as a Junior.
At which time he would be hoping to enter the NBA at about age 22 after almost certainly fully exposing his flaws and ceiling. Probably not the best recipe for an NBA career these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom