Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon - NBA Prospect

Lydon will be a second unit guy and has a great chance of sticking around a long time. People here focus on the negatives of his game far more than the positives, for some weird reason.

Over 40% from long range this year at his height is very impressive. Many of those are NBA range threes this year. He has also shown legit NBA post moves with patient footwork and soft touches inside off hooks, and has proven he can rebound and block shots inside against big teams. We aren't talking about a 6'10" stiff. I mean... I don't see at all what people are looking at when they say he won't or shouldn't be drafted in the first round. He can't dribble too well? Great, won't need to. If he could dribble well he would be a top pick. That won't get better staying in college vs going to the league early. He isn't nearly as raw as many kids are when they get drafted.

Durant, Antetokounmpo, George, Parsons, Gallinari. It's a long list. College fans typically fail to realize the big step up in both size and skills between even power conference NCAA basketball and the NBA.

And Lydon is not 6-10.

You named 5 players then called it a long list?

And for whatever it's worth, basketball reference has both Gallinari and Durant with more time at the 4 this year thna the 3. (First time ever). And they have Giannis mostly as a 2. He's also a freak (they should call him that); I don't think you can really compare him to anyone.

Lydon will get picked in the top 30 and has a 50/50 chance of being in the league in year 3

it's a start, you can do the rest yourselves

how many times are the denizens of syracusefan.com going to overrate the NBA ability of Syracuse players before they realize they don't actually understand the professional game?

how many times are the denizens of syracusefan.com going to overrate the NBA ability of Syracuse players before they realize they don't actually understand the professional game?

Trust me, oh wise one, you're talking to the wrong person.

I'd never overrate anyone. Sticking in the NBA for more than a few seasons is incredibly difficult. Even for guys who are so called can't misses.

Free throw percentage in college is a good (not perfect) predictor of 3-point % in the NBA (i.e., two players with identical 3p% and attempts, the one with the higher FT% is more likely to repeat his 3P% success in the NBA). Lydon is a helluva college shooter and has a good FT%, too. He's got as much chance as anyone else in his peer group to succeed.

Popcorn and soda
chugger-smiley-emoticon.gif

And for whatever it's worth, basketball reference has both Gallinari and Durant with more time at the 4 this year thna the 3. (First time ever). And they have Giannis mostly as a 2. He's also a freak (they should call him that); I don't think you can really compare him to anyone.

Basketball-Reference has no idea how to place Giannis in a lineup lol. He's been a PF basically all game every game.

Literally the only player since Carmelo that I thought would amount to anything from Syracuse is MCW lol.

Basketball-Reference has no idea how to place Giannis in a lineup lol. He's been a PF basically all game every game.

Yeah I wouldn't even know how to classify him. He shouldn't be comped to anyone.

Lydon will camp out at the three point line at the next level. Nothing wrong with that as many stretch 4's with his shooting skills do. Hopefully he fits into the right system. He's an average at best athlete on the NBA level, IMO. He doesn't really need to be much beyond that if he finds the right team. Will be interesting to see how he tests in the various drills at the combine whenever that may be.

You need perspective. Lydon went from 10 ppg to 14 ppg:

Tyler Lydon

Compare his freshmen and sophomore numbers to other forwards in SU history. He's doing fine. What do you think everyone thought at the beginning of the season (30 ppg) ?
It isn't just me. Almost all SU fans were looking for an All American season out of him. He was on the pre-season Wooden watch list. He will be lucky to make 3rd team All ACC. I don't mean to be tough on him but I don't think he had the type of season that I expected him to have. His stats should be up -- many more minutes played. I love the guy, but I also try to be honest with him and others on the team.

To me Lydon is what he is. He's a very good player but not a lottery pick talent. He's a good shooter. He won't overwhelm anybody with his athleticism or leaping ability. I maintain that he has put on bad weight. I think many were expecting him to be another Doug McDermott or Chandler Parsons but those guys can all create their shot better and are much more explosive/quick.

To me Lydon is what he is. He's a very good player but not a lottery pick talent. He's a good shooter. He won't overwhelm anybody with his athleticism or leaping ability. I maintain that he has put on bad weight. I think many were expecting him to be another Doug McDermott or Chandler Parsons but those guys can all create their shot better and are much more explosive/quick.

Thing is, Lydon is a better player than Parsons was when he was a college sophomore.

Thing is, Lydon is a better player than Parsons was when he was a college sophomore.

True but Parsons was still younger at the same point. I think Lydon could maybe get to the level Parsons was as a junior/senior but he would have to get more good muscle and explosion into his game. Parsons's game really took off in the NBA also. Maybe Lydon's will too.

Parsons isn't even a good comparison. People made that comparison because they are both Caucasian that is it. He and McDermott are closer to 2/3's anyway. They don't even play the same positions.

He's the sixth best player in the ACC according to win shares. People keep focusing on his inability to dribble. Everyone knows that. NBA teams focus on what players can do.

Parsons isn't even a good comparison. People made that comparison because they are both Caucasian that is it. He and McDermott are closer to 2/3's anyway. They don't even play the same positions.

He's the sixth best player in the ACC according to win shares. People keep focusing on his inability to dribble. Everyone knows that. NBA teams focus on what players can do.

Ok then who do you compare him to? Ryan Anderson? I think in a perfect world Lydon's game could emulate those guys like Parsons but he's been miscast here and forced to play C and put on weight in order for Syracuse to be succesful due to interior woes.

Ok then who do you compare him to? Ryan Anderson? I think in a perfect world Lydon's game could emulate those guys like Parsons but he's been miscast here and forced to play C and put on weight in order for Syracuse to be succesful due to interior woes.

I've never seen the Parsons comparison, either, because their games are so different. Parsons is more like [this is just for comparative purposes to an SU player] Gbinije, in terms of his versatility, whereas Lydon is much more of a stretch 4 in the mold of the comparison you made.

The one thing that Lydon does do like Parsons is shoot with range, but for me that's where the similarities begin and end [beyond the obvious trait, which is why he gets compared to Parsons].

I've never seen the Parsons comparison, either, because their games are so different. Parsons is more like [this is just for comparative purposes to an SU player] Gbinije, in terms of his versatility, whereas Lydon is much more of a stretch 4 in the mold of the comparison you made.

The one thing that Lydon does do like Parsons is shoot with range, but for me that's where the similarities begin and end [beyond the obvious trait, which is why he gets compared to Parsons].
I think Trey Lyles is a good comparison for Lydon. Good outside shooter. Limited floor game. Neither with great moves around the rim. Lydon might be a better defensive player. Both great upside.

I'd say Lydon is closer to Ryan Anderson or a poor mans Kevin Love than he is Parsons.

Parsons is more of a slasher. I never realized how pedestrian Parsons stats were at UF. He won the SEC POY averaging 11 points and 8 rebounds a game his senior year.

It isn't just me. Almost all SU fans were looking for an All American season out of him. He was on the pre-season Wooden watch list. He will be lucky to make 3rd team All ACC. I don't mean to be tough on him but I don't think he had the type of season that I expected him to have. His stats should be up -- many more minutes played. I love the guy, but I also try to be honest with him and others on the team.

I think going from 10 ppg to 20 ppg was a little bit of a stretch. Going from 10 ppg to 14 ppg is a very nice progression. Someone said he really likes playing CBB so maybe we will see him his junior year! That would be fun.

If he enters the draft this year he will get a three-year $3,000,000 contract. If he has a good junior year he might secure a three-year $6,000,000 contract. That might be worth it if he loves CBB. He can always get an insurance policy against injury. They are expensive but they exist.

The thing that set Parsons apart, for me at least, was his passing ability. He was a triple-double threat at Florida. I also think his lateral agility was more proven than Lydon's. Lydon is a much better shooter and lightyears better defending inside than Parsons was.

Parsons was a SF that played PF in college. Lydon is a PF that plays PF and C in college.

The guy that Lydon reminds me of is Ersan Ilyasova. Ilyasova was probably an inch or two shorter, but they'll probably have roughly the same reach. Both really good shooters that lean on their pump fake a ton and could score inside when needed. Lydon is more of a shotblocker though, whereas Ilyasova's strength defensively was drawing charges.

given the status of the program, he should declare for the draft. i have no doubt about it. there is nothing to be gained by him staying. what has happened this year to lydon, has not much to with lydon. the pros know this and i think he will be a top 20. if not in top 20 then yes he should stay. i would love to see him play for the celtics. that is something i never thought i would say being an old nats fan!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom