Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said

Says it all. JB has made the issue with Roberson personal for Whatever reason. Sad sad sad to talk down on your players like that.

Anybody who thinks comments like these made in such a public platform, let alone what is done behind closed doors, doesn't negatively impact the team, players and recruits is kidding themselves.

I'll just say our assistants have done an incredible job this season down the stretch and leave it at that.

JB is our Bob Knight. Time has passed him by. Nothing is more important to success than recruiting. Once Knight was exposed who would want to play for him? Same goes for JB. He is old school and old school is now a hindrance. Like Knight he still knew/knows x's and o's but they both forgot that they are not beyond public scrutiny and that such scrutiny will come back to bite them and the program they treasure.
Please don't compare him to the scumbag from Indiana. Yes, JAB is 50 years older than these kids but he still has taken the team to two final fours in the past five years and we have beaten two top ten teams in a down year and almost took down a third. JAB has his systems and for the most part have worked extremely well. He survived two probations and the Bernie Fine incident. Does that make him more important than the program. Guess what??? JAB is the program. Coaching basketball lends itself to public scrutiny. JAB has thick skin. We know he doesn't care what anything thinks about what he does or says but I don't think it's fair to say that time has passed him by.

We all like Robey. I wish I had a nickle for every time I said that I hoped that Robey could morphed himself into Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately he never did. Maybe he didn't have the drive or just lacked the athleticism or the motivation. Not everyone is a great NBA player. Not everyone is a great ACC player. Robey has his niche and sometimes he is much better at it than other times. Should JAB lay off the kids somewhat. Maybe you nor I would say those things but it seems to work for JAB.

I felt bad for Robey when he had to take those FT's. But we have seen others in that same position drain them. I tried to will them to go in but it just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully Robey finds a way to make a difference the rest of the season. I know on Senior Day I will be cheering for Robey as hard or even harder than I did for JAB's 1000th. It was a tough loss that we almost found a way to win against a very tough team that traditionally has owned us. Hopefully we will get them next time.

You are perfect. Anyone who doesn't think exactly like you is a moron. Thanks for gracing this board with your presence. We are all not worthy.
Lol. Oh good here comes the peanut gallery.

Yes I expect a higher level of dialogue on here because that's how it used to be. It's not like that anymore. Anyone that thinks Lydon as been a "disappointment" though doesn't know stuff about basketball.

Anyone can be a disappointment depending on what expectations you have. Considering everyone has different opinions and expectations, some might think he's a disappointment. I'm not one of them, though.

Lighting a fire under Robersons ass does not change the result of those FTs. If people do not see that they are living in bananaland.
True but beside FTs, all of his #s are down from last year. Imo he is the one player in the rotation who has the most room to step his game up, esp being a sr. Hes just not playing like that guy who helped lead us to FF las year. But that is the question! Which s the outlier, his play this season OR his play against say Duke and his play during FF run?

Please don't compare him to the scumbag from Indiana. Yes, JAB is 50 years older than these kids but he still has taken the team to two final fours in the past five years and we have beaten two top ten teams in a down year and almost took down a third. JAB has his systems and for the most part have worked extremely well. He survived two probations and the Bernie Fine incident. Does that make him more important than the program. Guess what??? JAB is the program. Coaching basketball lends itself to public scrutiny. JAB has thick skin. We know he doesn't care what anything thinks about what he does or says but I don't think it's fair to say that time has passed him by.

We all like Robey. I wish I had a nickle for every time I said that I hoped that Robey could morphed himself into Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately he never did. Maybe he didn't have the drive or just lacked the athleticism or the motivation. Not everyone is a great NBA player. Not everyone is a great ACC player. Robey has his niche and sometimes he is much better at it than other times. Should JAB lay off the kids somewhat. Maybe you nor I would say those things but it seems to work for JAB.

I felt bad for Robey when he had to take those FT's. But we have seen others in that same position drain them. I tried to will them to go in but it just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully Robey finds a way to make a difference the rest of the season. I know on Senior Day I will be cheering for Robey as hard or even harder than I did for JAB's 1000th. It was a tough loss that we almost found a way to win against a very tough team that traditionally has owned us. Hopefully we will get them next time.
Agree with some of what you said but what he's done to Roberson is by no means good coaching. A good leader provides each person with what they need to best succeed. Those needs vary depending on the individual. It is his job to adjust to that and help him improve. Instead of maximizing his talent, he has minimized it because he was unwilling to adapt to someone who didn't fit his exact mold. And he has done so in classless fashion. When was the last time he gave the kid praise? As others have said, he should accept responsibility for his own failures but we know that will never happen.

Boeheim is a bully. Roberson stays out of trouble and has stayed 4 years. If Boeheim recruited a full roster and actually tried doing that Roberson wouldn't be his only option.

That PC was a joke. If Roberson slugged Boeheim in the face tomorrow at practice he would be justified. What low class statements. If he thinks them he shouldn't say them. How does Roberson play any different than Trevor Cooney? Roberson plays for free while Boeheim can continue game planning a clogged toilet offense and making little adjustments.

These comments are so low class. Boeheim is a jerk for insulting his player publicly like that.
I agree - he is a bully and it is getting old. When Frank Howard comes off with a more mature and accurate take than the man who built the program, it is not a good look for the program. Teflon wears out eventually, and JB's coating is getting thin.

Roberson had some of the best plays in the entire game yesterday.

The high/low with Lydon (passing and receiving for the left layup), the kickout to White for his first 3 from the top of the key, and the tap out of the loose ball that led to points (can't remember by who).

Did the missed FTs suck? Sure did. Adel also missed 2 of them and he shoots about 80%.

Actually, this is the Nam war movie image that Boeheim's comments about Robey reminds me of. I just picture Boeheim's words as the bullets that cut the last of the 3 sons down right before the finish line, as Robey throws his hands skyward, asking G*d, "Why?!?". Every so often something I cant mention happens to me, causing me to do the same thing. I have actually mentioned it to my therapist. They remind me that there will always be judgmental folks whose actions we can't control, but hopefully I can remind them of their effects on others. I wish Boeheim could get similar feedback.

platoon.jpg
I completely forgot about the "three sons". This is laugh out loud funny.

You are perfect. Anyone who doesn't think exactly like you is a moron. Thanks for gracing this board with your presence. We are all not worthy.
Seriously. That guy is arrogant and naive. Dangerous combo.

Oh well. Again, believe what u want but you are way off base AZorange.

Just know the coaches expected more from lydon offensively. Alot more. He has been basically a pick and pop 3 point shooter this year. Maybe once a game he scores down low on a hook shot. There is a reason we design plays for white and gillon and even battle before lydon alot of the time.

Thompson comes in and schools the opposing 5 every possession. Lydon is unable. Just doesn't have the moves. If Jim didn't view him as our best defensive 5 option, he wouldn't play 40 minutes every game.

Great kid, great shooter. Not a leader though. And certainly not ready for the nba. Although he plans to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so true. I am friendly with Jim and think most of the talk about him on this board is laughable, but the way he has treated Roberson is unforgivable. It's as simple as that. There is no defense for it. To continually trash a student athlete, one who is far and away our most aggressive and hustling player, is a joke. Yea he missed the FT. But he also got the rebound. No one else did.

I wish Tyler lydon had 1/10th the hustle or heart Robey did. He would be all American. Piling on Robey all the time is laughable. Our so called go to guy lydon is a ghost for 70% of every game.

I'm not sure I agree with the lack of hustle or heart from Lydon. However I believe if you put Robey's effort into TT's game which has a ton of skill he would be a top 5 pick in the draft this year no question about it. There was a weird camera angle last night in the first half but TT literally didn't even jump for a defensive rebound. Ville got the board and bucket. I was shocked. It can't just be that he lacks strength.

Nobody is perfect is the point. Just like Robey has minimal offensive skill and subpar hands, Thompson lacks the every rebound is mine attitude. It's obvious JB takes comments too far with certain players in public but outside of that I am not sure you can find too many flaws in the coach.

I hate to say this...but I wonder if missing the NCAAs and getting a bid to the NIT wouldn't really be a bad thing? Maybe it would put enough pressure on JB to think about departing and the program could start it's next chapter and limit the purgatory it seems to be in right now?

No idea.

But at what point does the player accept the accountability of year four being woefully disappointing across the board? And at what point do we come to the conclusion that some guys like Rick Jackson and Rakeem Christmas flourish in their final year(s)...and why not this kid?

Don't love the coach calling out a player that he'd miss the free throws. But whatever. This is big time college athletics where they don't hang 9th-place banners on the West side of the Dome.
If he is not meeting standard why is he in the game?

Did i stutter?

I've been around countless teams and countless practices and it's pretty much universally agreed that no one hustles more than Robey in SU history. How Jim has handled him is a travesty. And that's not an exaggeration. Believe what u want, it's a free country. There's so much more to it though.

As for Lydon, he has been a huge disappointment this year. It's sad that a frosh TT has moves and an offensive game that lydon will never have. Lydon is a SG playing in an undersized PF body.

The did I stutter retort, classic.

Lol. Oh good here comes the peanut gallery.

Yes I expect a higher level of dialogue on here because that's how it used to be. It's not like that anymore. Anyone that thinks Lydon as been a "disappointment" though doesn't know stuff about basketball.
Higher level of dialogue? Welcome 2017. Go eat Member berries if you think that exists now. AOL used to be primary internet provider for the time period you are talking about.
People can think Lydon hasn't met preseason expectations of being an all-American.
Lydon has been solid but watching him play he isn't either healthy or something is up.
I disagree with the posters opinion but I am not going to belittle him. You are condescending to people ignore them if you think they are morons.
Instead you are just so much smarter than everyone else.

Anyone can be a disappointment depending on what expectations you have. Considering everyone has different opinions and expectations, some might think he's a disappointment. I'm not one of them, though.
Anyone that has Lydon down as a disappointment relative to their "expectations" had goofy expectations to begin with. Again, tcuse99 should be able to get his point in front of "Jim" at an upcoming practice. He should let him know.

I hate to say this...but I wonder if missing the NCAAs and getting a bid to the NIT wouldn't really be a bad thing? Maybe it would put enough pressure on JB to think about departing and the program could start it's next chapter and limit the purgatory it seems to be in right now?
I find it interesting that JB now can be a genius and have the game pass him by several times each within the same season.

"True but beside FTs, all of his #s are down from last year. ..."

ummm research ...he plays 10 minutes less a game.

The only thing about Lydon I find disappointing is the disappearance of any sort of mid range game. It's arguable who's fault it is that he rarely scores down low.

"True but beside FTs, all of his #s are down from last year. ..."

ummm research ...he plays 10 minutes less a game.
Exactly , mins are numbers too, they are all down. I stand by what i said it is accurate

Just my opinion but a senior should not be playing ten less mins a game from last season, but that is a whole other conversation...

Seriously. That guy is arrogant and naive. Dangerous combo.

Oh well. Again, believe what u want but you are way off base AZorange.

Just know the coaches expected more from lydon offensively. Alot more. He has been basically a pick and pop 3 point shooter this year. Maybe once a game he scores down low on a hook shot. There is a reason we design plays for white and gillon and even battle before lydon alot of the time.

Thompson comes in and schools the opposing 5 every possession. Lydon is unable. Just doesn't have the moves. If Jim didn't view him as our best defensive 5 option, he wouldn't play 40 minutes every game.

Great kid, great shooter. Not a leader though. And certainly not ready for the nba. Although he plans to go.

I'm sorry but this is so dumb. Every bleeping time lydon was fed in the post last night it resulted in points, and frequently fouls. We just failed to maximize those opportunities. Gillon didn't even try to feed Lydon when he had textbook position against a smaller guy multiple times.

Do you have any idea of the energy it takes to establish and maintain that position and how disheartening it is to see the guard look directly at you and not throw the pass? I'm surprised lydon hasn't punched anyone yet.

What's he supposed to do, pass himself the ball on the block?

Higher level of dialogue? Welcome 2017. Go eat Member berries if you think that exists now. AOL used to be primary internet provider for the time period you are talking about.
People can think Lydon hasn't met preseason expectations of being an all-American.
Lydon has been solid but watching him play he isn't either healthy or something is up.
I disagree with the posters opinion but I am not going to belittle him. You are condescending to people ignore them if you think they are morons.
Instead you are just so much smarter than everyone else.

Pot and kettle come to mind...

To anyone who's trying to find logic and middle ground in JB's remarks,

Mind you that the guy said Robey's been O for his last 8 attempts. That's just not true. As a matter of fact, he sunk 2 big ones against Pitt. JB was not in his right mind in that presser and was clearly digging for negatives to throw Roberson's way. That's a large part of why this is so sad. He puts effort into belittling him now.

Robey played his heart out, and yes it would have been nice to have those free throws but think about how many opportunities that we missed throughout the game. I have always felt that close games like this do not come down to the last play. Close games come down to missed opportunities in the first 3 minutes as much as they come down to the last 3 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom