Tyus Battle-1st career start | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle-1st career start

Liked Tyus tonight. He was good in the zone, the outside shot is nice, was unselfish, and he was more comfortable with his penetration in the 2nd half. We need him for 32+mpg this year.

Yep I was really happy to see Tyus have a good game and get his confidence back. Not that he lost it, but if he did...

He should have games like this pretty regularly. Our starters, on offense, are a nightmare to defend.

Everything else is a ****show, but those 5 starters can put points on the board and Battle has the fortunate position to be the #4 guy every opposing team schemes for after White, Lydon and Howard.

As a few of us were saying, Tyus is used to playing big minutes (and starting). He needed to get into the flow. This game was a huge building block for him. White is obviously a 3 not a 2 and Lydon is a 4. This puts everyone in their natural positions.

Roberson is on the outside looking in. I won't shed a tear. He's still a poor offensive player. Why can't he ever go up strong inside and finish? And his shooting is still not very good. One of the more enigmatic, frustrating players we've had. Even today, he did bring great effort, but the results were not there.

Frank has dominated against poor teams, but going through his game log last year and this year he hasn't done really anything against a top 100 team.

Agree there as well. Need to see what he does against Adams Monday. His FT shooting reminds me of Mike G. before last year.

As a few of us were saying, Tyus is used to playing big minutes (and starting). He needed to get into the flow. This game was a huge building block for him. White is obviously a 3 not a 2 and Lydon is a 4. This puts everyone in their natural positions.

Roberson is on the outside looking in. I won't shed a tear. He's still a poor offensive player. Why can't he ever go up strong inside and finish? And his shooting is still not very good. One of the more enigmatic, frustrating players we've had. Even today, he did bring great effort, but the results were not there.
I'm with you. Starting Battle tonight was more about moving Lydon to the 4 than it was anything else, but I'm glad Tyus took advantage. It's hard not to like the offensive potential of the starting 5, but the top of the zone needs to get better and the rebounding needs to be there. It's baffling becuaes individually, each of those 5 guys look good playing the zone (except DC); but for some reason the results aren't there

Absolutely loved this switch out of JB! Battle is not a good shooter, but a great shooter. Roberson was offering nothing on offense, his presence and knowledge of the zone is valuable, but the one thing I will say that gives battle even more of an advantage is that he plays an active guard in the zone, better than White who is suited more at the 3.

Absolutely loved this switch out of JB! Battle is not a good shooter, but a great shooter. Roberson was offering nothing on offense, his presence and knowledge of the zone is valuable, but the one thing I will say that gives battle even more of an advantage is that he plays an active guard in the zone, better than White who is suited more at the 3.

I've been saying since he signed with SU that Battle is a better shooter than advertised. That being said, he's not a great outside shooter yet. He's streaky but solid. I think he will shoot in the mid to upper 30% range from 3 for the season. His mid-range is top level. I'm talking Moten good.

I'm with you. Starting Battle tonight was more about moving Lydon to the 4 than it was anything else, but I'm glad Tyus took advantage. It's hard not to like the offensive potential of the starting 5, but the top of the zone needs to get better and the rebounding needs to be there. It's baffling becuaes individually, each of those 5 guys look good playing the zone (except DC); but for some reason the results aren't there

It was about starting 2 actual guards and putting White as a forward who can spots minutes at the guard spot.

It was about starting 2 actual guards and putting White at the forwards who spots minutes at the guard spot.
Both you and jdubs are right. And it's crystal clear White is not a 2-guard. Was even before the season but that's not important now.

Just wait until Battle starts terrorizing guards up top. It will happen. Hope we break out that guards trap up top. He will really love that. Instant offense.

Every frosh recruit we have is used to playing big minutes and starting.

Agree on Robey. I feel bad for the kid because I just dont feel he has a lot of self confidence. Hes not an alpha. Although hes had great games for us, so I am not selling him just yet.

Want to see Howard and Battle do it against a good team. Thought Battle was better but still not great on D. Frank certainly wasn't good on D but offensively this was a really good step for Battle. Not quite convinced how those two will fare against really athletic and quick guards. They seem more long/lanky/long strides than quick and explosive. Hopefully Boeheim locks it in as those two being the starters in the backcourt and White at the 3.

Frank has dominated against poor teams, but going through his game log last year and this year he hasn't done really anything against a top 100 team.
He hasn't had all that many chances. Last year he was not given a chance to get on a roll. So far, he had South Carolina and Wiskys . Let's give him a chance.

He hasn't had all that many chances. Last year he was not given a chance to get on a roll. So far, he had South Carolina and Wiskys . Let's give him a chance.

I think he does need more of a chance and I'm not against it at all, just pointing out what I've seen and won't put unrealistic expectations on the kid.

Let's also remember Howard is a converted 2 guard. He didn't play the point guard position until his senior year in high school and he had a major knee injury to come back from as well. He's still a work-in-progress.

Both you and jdubs are right. And it's crystal clear White is not a 2-guard. Was even before the season but that's not important now.

Just wait until Battle starts terrorizing guards up top. It will happen. Hope we break out that guards trap up top. He will really love that. Instant offense.

Best thing this season is starting Battle IMO. Best defender up top right now and percentage wise best 3pt shooter. Can't wait till he plays to his strengths of driving, pulling up and running.

Last edited:
Best thing this season is starting Battle IMO. Best defender up top right now and percdntage wise best 3pt shooter. Can't wait till he plays to his strength as. Driving, pulling up and running.
They have to defend his three-pointer now, so that should open up his drives for him.

I think he does need more of a chance and I'm not against it at all, just pointing out what I've seen and won't put unrealistic expectations on the kid.

Howard scored 10 pts against #20 South Carolina. In 24 minutes. Not bad right?

Howard scored 10 pts against #20 South Carolina. In 24 minutes. Not bad right?

So we just go by points scored to determine if one played well or not?

He looked poor that game and it isn't difficult to see that.

Last year? Frank played 10 mpg as a freshman. He played well against Gonzaga and Virginia in the NCAAT and against GEORGIA TECH and PITT during the season/ACC tournament. Those were all top 100 teams.

So we just go by points scored to determine if one played well or not?

He looked poor that game and it isn't difficult to see that.

Define poor. What does that mean? He had 10 pts and shot 3-7 from the floor and 1-2 from the three point land. Had 3 assists and 2 steals. Where did he look poor?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom