Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that thinks if Battle comes back next year that he will take huge steps forward in his game?

Syracuse has seen many players drastically improve their skills going into their junior or senior year. Everyone keeps saying Battle would only improve his draft position due to a weaker draft class next year and he is what he is.

I can see Battle improving his shooting form and therefore his shooting %, improving his passing to develop into a great play creating guard, improving his driving skills to get past defenders, and adding new one on one moves while becoming one of the faces of 2019 college basketball.

I think Battle could become an All-American player next year and be a potential top 10 pick after his 2018 summer of motivation.

Am I the only one that thinks if Battle comes back next year that he will take huge steps forward in his game?

Syracuse has seen many players drastically improve their skills going into their junior or senior year. Everyone keeps saying Battle would only improve his draft position due to a weaker draft class next year and he is what he is.

I can see Battle improving his shooting form and therefore his shooting %, improving his passing to develop into a great play creating guard, improving his driving skills to get past defenders, and adding new one on one moves while becoming one of the faces of 2019 college basketball.

I think Battle could become an All-American player next year and be a potential top 10 pick after his 2018 summer of motivation.
It's certainly possible but no. I don't see it. I bet he'd improve but not by leaps and bounds. Trying to change his form could actually hurt his shooting.

I'm sure he'll finish more going to the basket just because the team will have more weapons to defend.

Syracuse has seen many players drastically improve their skills going into their junior or senior year
. Everyone keeps saying Battle would only improve his draft position due to a weaker draft class next year and he is what he is.

Yeah, I agree... but simple law of diminishing returns says that you're likely going to improve the most when you have the most room to improve, if that makes sense.

Just because a player 1 shows the most improvement from year x to year y doesn't mean they are a better player than player 2 who started off far better to begin with.

Battle was pretty dang good his first two years.

I don’t see top 10 pick ever, but I agree...I don’t understand the “he is what he is” stuff either. His shooting can be much better than it was last year...both through his own improvement and also from not having to carry the entire offensive load and getting easier and better shots. Someone said he won’t shoot 40% from 3. He was 36-37% as a freshman when he got better looks. It’s possible he could get 40% as a junior, though if I had to predict I’d go with 37-38%.

He can show a more well rounded game in terms of setting others up and playmaking for others...again, both through his own improvement and from having better teammates that can score.

He can finish at the rim better by improving his left hand.

Just because he scored a lot of points doesn’t mean he can’t get any better.

This... is just not as easy as people want to think it is.

The cash difference means very little from a 29th pick to a 18th pick (there are so many variables) but you HAVE to consider paid years too. An NBA carer is a very finite thing. All things being equal, the numbers may not be exact but the concept of the argument remains the same (PLEASE DO NOT DIVE INTO THE WEEDS WITH AGES OR DRAFT PICKS, IT WILL REMAIN VERY SIMILAR PLUGGING IN ANY AGE OR DRAFT PICK) -

he retires at age 35 either way. i think he is 21 now so lets call it a 14 year career. or he comes back and improves 10-15 spots and makes more money on a rookie deal BUT he is now 22 yrs old. Meaning he'll only have a 13 year career. How much is the back end of his contracts worth? how much is the last year worth? Usually (not always) that last year is much more than the difference between 10-15 picks.

if his entire career is his first contract, and in one scenario that contract is multiyear guaranteed (first rounder) vs non guaranteed two way contract with the G league...(not a first round) ..if he has a 13 year career who cares where or how high he got drafted.

tyus averaged 19 points a game. improve to what ? 30 ? billy owens averaged 18. moten 19. pearl 16, carmelo was 22...but he ain't no carmelo anthony.

Last edited:
repeat..he could not even play next year and be drafted higher by way of a weaker overall draft. given he's a borderline first rounder, a couple spots could be a huge difference in cash.
ask tyler lydon about that problem.

passing to who ? hands down he'd be the player on our team. carmelo had 2 assists per game. don't give up the rock when you're the best we got.
I think Tyus is a good passer, but he felt he was always the best option. And he was right. But, toward the end of the season there were glimpses of real ball movement. So there is hope.

tyus averaged 19 points a game. improve to what ? 30 ? billy owens averaged 18. moten 19. pearl 16, carmelo was 22...but he ain't no carmelo anthony.

He could average the same number of points, or even less, and still be improved.

His shooting %’s, assists, and rebounds are all areas where he could statistically improve. Showing a more versatile, well rounded, and efficient game could possibly help him in scouts eyes...and it would certainly make him a better basketball player.

I think Tyus is a good passer, but he felt he was always the best option. And he was right. But, toward the end of the season there were glimpses of real ball movement. So there is hope.

Agreed. And the “passing to who?” question...Brissett should be a legit, big time scorer. Marek was coming around and should be a nice threat. Carey and Hughes both come with reps as guys that can score. Possibly Sidibe can be an inside scoring threat.

led the NCAA'S in mpg. and nobody played harder start to finish. how much more are you asking from one player ? and he's a year older.
(and i hate the in case they break something scenario but there it is. tweaked his knee early. minor. suppose it's more next time ? roll the dice ?")

edit (had it not been for that early brief game exit tyus may have established a record never to be broken.)

Last edited:
led the NCAA'S in mpg. and nobody played harder start to finish. how much more are you asking from one player ? and he's a year older.
(and i hate the in case they break something scenario but there it is. tweaked his knee early. minor. suppose it's more next time ? roll the dice ?")

edit (had it not been for that early brief game exit tyus may have established a record never to be broken.)

I feel like you’re not really reading anyone else’s posts, lol.

I’m not questioning how hard he played or how much of a load he carried, I’m questioning the “he has nothing that he can improve on” line of thinking...which would suggest he’s already maxed out.

Last edited:
I feel like you’re not really reading anyone’s else’s posts, lol.

I’m not questioning how hard he played or how much of a load he carried, I’m questioning the “he has nothing that he can improve on” line of thinking...which would suggest he’s already maxed out.
21 , 22 year old guys can't get any better

Status
Not open for further replies.