Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterotype?

No, just commenting on Diallo's insane athleticism. I thought he would top the list, and he was about 8th or so. That, to me, says that there are a lot of great athletes in this draft.

I’m truly beginning to believe it behooves him to stay at this point. Today’s performance will be interesting and unless he lights it up he just might return for that degree he knows he may need someday. Go Tyus. Go Cuse.

Hes far better than Huerter and Mykhailiuk though. No question he would be taken before both of those guys.

Unfortunately for Tyus it is in question. Especially Huerter. Mykhailiuk shoots lights out as well and has good size and finds ways to get open.

Who knows if Battle ends up better than both, he could, but based on everything seen by the players, I don't see how it would be justified drafting Battle over Huerter.

Unfortunately for Tyus it is in question. Especially Huerter. Mykhailiuk shoots lights out as well and has good size and finds ways to get open.

Who knows if Battle ends up better than both, he could, but based on everything seen by the players, I don't see how it would be justified drafting Battle over Huerter.
That's a really tough call for those three. I think the one thing that would really benefit Tyus, is the fact he is much more athletic than both of them, and could have the potential to be a very solid NBA defender. Unless his outside shot improves, hes really going to have to sell himself as a great defender(which I believe he is capable of), and facilitator(which we don't really know, since he didn't have anyone to pass the ball to).

That's a really tough call for those three. I think the one thing that would really benefit Tyus, is the fact he is much more athletic than both of them, and could have the potential to be a very solid NBA defender. Unless his outside shot improves, hes really going to have to sell himself as a great defender(which I believe he is capable of), and facilitator(which we don't really know, since he didn't have anyone to pass the ball to).

Don't discount Hueters athleticism, he had very good numbers yesterday. He may be more athletic in that regard than Battle.

Hows his shooting numbers?

Hes physically ready to defend in the nba. He has high scoring upside and is skilled enough to play the tween of 2 and 3. There’s absolutely a possibility he could be a late first and i hope he is.

In the shooting drills, Alonzo Trier was the only SG that shot a higher % than Battle. Huerter tied with Battle for 2nd best.

Edit: And if you look at just the 3 pointers, Battle once again tied for 2nd in the group, behind only Huerter. Battle shot 18/25 from NBA range.

Edit x2: I should mention there were 10 SGs that participated in the drill, so Battle was 2nd out of 10 both overall and specifically for 3 pointers

Last edited:
Don't discount Hueters athleticism, he had very good numbers yesterday. He may be more athletic in that regard than Battle.
Never...that kid can ball. Wanted him in Orange!

I was basically saying, Tyus's best shot to make the next level, was to show scouts that he can be a great defender.

I was basically saying, Tyus's best shot to make the next level, was to show scouts that he can be a great defender.

I agree, he needs to make that a big part of his game if he returns. May be tough that we play zone for him to do that. Just think at this point it's a big mistake for him to go.

So far, in the measurables, Tyus has only stood out for his fitness (% of body fat), where he was second best.

In every other category so far, he has been middle of the pack (in the mid-to-high teens among 29 players at his position).

In the shooting drills, Alonzo Trier was the only SG that shot a higher % than Battle. Huerter tied with Battle for 2nd best.

Edit: And if you look at just the 3 pointers, Battle once again tied for 2nd in the group, behind only Huerter. Battle shot 18/25 from NBA range.

Well that's some good news for Tyus. I think he's gone regardless, so I hope he gets drafted.

I agree. And they also want to see if he can play some point. If he could do that, he would be a first rounder.

Hes far better than Huerter and Mykhailiuk though. No question he would be taken before both of those guys.
Maybe he does go ahead of them, but I would hardly say he's far better than either. Tyus was maybe a better college scorer, but both of those guys have shown a skill the NBA is all about these days. Hitting the 3-ball consistently. They're both bigger than Tyus and probably match athleticism, at least.

There's just such a large glut of SG's in the late 1st/2nd range that those that can shoot will likely have a better shot to move into the 1st.

Very hard to say in absolute terms. He’s been a better scorer (extreme high volume and minutes) but it wouldn’t surprise me if NBA people like those two better. He has to have a really strong showing today in the tests and scrimmages to garner some positive feedback.

Right off the bat the panel said Huerter and Frazier from Tulane really impressed the NBA people as guys who were originally 2nd round types and have moved up a lot. Jerami Grant is going to join the panel at some point.

Right off the bat the panel said Huerter and Frazier from Tulane really impressed the NBA people as guys who were originally 2nd round types and have moved up a lot. Jerami Grant is going to join the panel at some point.

Very bad for Tyus

That's really discouraging to hear. Of course, the combine isn't the end all / be all -- and I'd expect Tyus to do better in team workouts, and to really shine in his interviews with teams.

Maybe this opens the door for his return. If his feedback based upon this week isn't favorable, at least he has that option. Agree 100% with those who think he wants to stay in, and that being his preferred outcome, but maybe the circumstances will push him back.

The combine commentary is about every and anyone but Battle. I feel like he’s invisible and treated as an also ran. Maybe I’m just paranoid or overly sensitive but there are so many really good prospects that he’s not even on their radar( as many others are in the same boat). I don’t think Tyus is going to be satisfied entering the nba in some mediocre way lost in the sauce. I hope the remaining 4 hrs proves me wrong and he gets some respect

That's really discouraging to hear. Of course, the combine isn't the end all / be all -- and I'd expect Tyus to do better in team workouts, and to really shine in his interviews with teams.

Maybe this opens the door for his return. If his feedback based upon this week isn't favorable, at least he has that option. Agree 100% with those who think he wants to stay in, and that being his preferred outcome, but maybe the circumstances will push him back.

Right. He’ll scrimmage again today I think and still needs to do some tests like lane agility, I believe.

He and his family are very bright. If the overwhelming responses are not favorable for him and the recommendations are to return to school then perhaps they all take it to heart and concur. I mean a guy like Pinson came back and clearly worked on his overall game. He’s probably going to get picked.

The combine commentary is about every and anyone but Battle. I feel like he’s invisible and treated as an also ran. Maybe I’m just paranoid or overly sensitive but there are so many really good prospects that he’s not even on their radar( as many others are in the same boat). I don’t think Tyus is going to be satisfied entering the nba in some mediocre way lost in the sauce. I hope the remaining 4 hrs proves me wrong and he gets some respect

A lot of that is a by-product of how his play has been, IMO. Tyus was a borderline first rounder [with the possibility to slide into being a mid-tier second rounder or lower] to begin with. If he'd shined in the scrimmage, more people would be talking him up and dissecting his performance. When you don't stand out, there's nothing to talk about.

I like Huerter and remember him in high school running the point for a state championship team. IMHO I think Maryland never utilized his skills to the max that they could have, and I think he can make shots at any level. What I don't think is he will be able to guard anyone. Other than the Cavs - is there anyone on any team left in the NBA playoffs who he could guard?

Do not agree more versatile yes in the NBA it’s what are you great at doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.