Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyus is apparently OK with being a 2nd round pick.

Seems like it's a common trend the past few years, even guys who don't get a contract from the second round or don't get drafted.

Whoever that guy is didn’t watch the game today. Tyus shot well, didn’t force anything, scored with the jumper, scored going inside, was drawing fouls and making FTs. He also talks like Tyus is the reason they got crushed both games. He might want to watch both games over. It was a hot mess with some of the players with the ball hogging and throwing it all over. Yesterday his team had 25 turnovers with Tyus having none. Today they racked up something like 15+ more and I think Tyus had 2. So between the two games the team had 40+ with Tyus only having 2 and the team had very few assists. And I guess the nba does all the athletic measurements, physical measurements and shooting drills for nothing since this guy discounts all of it.

I’m going to go on record and guess that Tyus returns next year. Anyone else reach a conclusion? I know many have expressed opinions but thread is too long to go back and recap for lazy me.

I’m going to go on record and guess that Tyus returns next year. Anyone else reach a conclusion? I know many have expressed opinions but thread is too long to go back and recap for lazy me.

I still think he goes as I think his mindset is that he wants to.play pro ball beginning next year, even if he's a 2nd rounder and is soon overseas. Although I think there is more of a chance he stays than before tha combine

I still think he goes as I think his mindset is that he wants to.play pro ball beginning next year, even if he's a 2nd rounder and is soon overseas. Although I think there is more of a chance he stays than before tha combine
You know what’s interesting is I was looking at 2019 mock drafts and one has Oshae at 20 and Tyus at 36 or so. Most don’t have Tyus st all which I’m assuming they think he leaves this year. I think he has a strong stubborn mindset whereas he now has something to prove( mostly to himself) and seeing how the real world operates, and the fact there are no guarantees, that degree looks even more desirable now. I just make this stuff up as I go but do believe it

Whoever that guy is didn’t watch the game today. Tyus shot well, didn’t force anything, scored with the jumper, scored going inside, was drawing fouls and making FTs. He also talks like Tyus is the reason they got crushed both games. He might want to watch both games over. It was a hot mess with some of the players with the ball hogging and throwing it all over. Yesterday his team had 25 turnovers with Tyus having none. Today they racked up something like 15+ more and I think Tyus had 2. So between the two games the team had 40+ with Tyus only having 2 and the team had very few assists. And I guess the nba does all the athletic measurements, physical measurements and shooting drills for nothing since this guy discounts all of it.

I think there's a pretty wide consensus that Tyus isn't getting drafted in the 1st round. No matter how he looks in these games and does in these drills.

It boils down to his desire to leave and play in the league vs. coming back and potentially moving up to the 1st round. This whole process is nice but at the end of the day, it's a lot of fluff.

Tyus interviewed with the Pistons yesterday and will be working out with 5 teams over the next week or so.

Jerome Robinson from BC didn’t even scrimmage or work out. Kid must have a guarantee somewhere.

This was his write up.

Falling: Tyus Battle, SG, Syracuse

There was some head-scratching in the bleachers over the decision to place Battle, Allonzo Trier and Jaylen Hands onto one team, grouping three shoot-first guards and making them share one basketball. Unsurprisingly, their team lost one game by 32 points and the other by 27. Battle, in particular, faded into the background this week, struggling to impose his will as a scorer, forcing some shots and displaying very little secondary skill set on offense. He shot well in drills, but the hitch at the top of his shot remains evident. This was a chance for him to show he could be more than an iso-heavy player, and while he did display some aptitude as a man-to-man defender outside of Syracuse’s zone, his floor game leaves a lot to be desired. Battle doesn’t offer much aside from his plus build and athletic tools, and didn’t look like a Top 40 pick. He can still go back to school, but it’s worth wondering how much better he’ll look in a year if he does.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I find your interpretation of what he stated a bit interesting, as my interpretation was different. I don't think this guy has a "horse in the race," so, I feel it comes off relatively objective. I don't think he blames Tyus at all, only that his pairing with the aforementioned didn't help his cause as none (including Tyus) makes anyone better on the floor as they are all shoot first guys looking for theirs. His secondary skill set and hitch at the top of his release has been something many here have mentioned all last season; very few assists, creating limited/nil opportunities for other teammates, etc. doesn't likely bode well for him in that skill set regard.

I also didn't see him "discounting" Tyus' physical measurables. Donna's article yesterday pointed out that his vertical was 37.5" and standing vertical being 32". Those figures place him "in the middle of the pack" according to Donna. Now, he did place 4th best time in the 3/4 court sprint, so if he ever gets the opportunity for a break away dunk, he's really got that going for him. I find it a bit peculiar that in yesterday's scrimmage although he fared better in his shooting (3-5) he took zero attempts from 3 point range. I think that speaks for itself in a way, as NBA 2 guard prospects have to show/prove they can bury the NBA 3.

This was his write up.

There was some head-scratching in the bleachers over the decision to place Battle, Allonzo Trier and Jaylen Hands onto one team, grouping three shoot-first guards and making them share one basketball. Unsurprisingly, their team lost one game by 32 points and the other by 27. Battle, in particular, faded into the background this week, struggling to impose his will as a scorer, forcing some shots and displaying very little secondary skill set on offense. He shot well in drills, but the hitch at the top of his shot remains evident. This was a chance for him to show he could be more than an iso-heavy player, and while he did display some aptitude as a man-to-man defender outside of Syracuse’s zone, his floor game leaves a lot to be desired. Battle doesn’t offer much aside from his plus build and athletic tools, and didn’t look like a Top 40 pick. He can still go back to school, but it’s worth wondering how much better he’ll look in a year if he does.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I find your interpretation of what he stated a bit interesting, as my interpretation was different. I don't think this guy has a "horse in the race," so, I feel it comes off relatively objective. I don't think he blames Tyus at all, only that his pairing with the aforementioned didn't help his cause as none (including Tyus) makes anyone better on the floor as they are all shoot first guys looking for theirs. His secondary skill set and hitch at the top of his release has been something many here have mentioned all last season; very few assists, creating limited/nil opportunities for other teammates, etc. doesn't likely bode well for him in that skill set regard.

I also didn't see him "discounting" Tyus' physical measurables. Donna's article yesterday pointed out that his vertical was 37.5" and standing vertical being 32". Those figures place him "in the middle of the pack" according to Donna. Now, he did place 4th best time in the 3/4 court sprint, so if he ever gets the opportunity for a break away dunk, he's really got that going for him. I find it a bit peculiar that in yesterday's scrimmage although he fared better in his shooting (3-5) he took zero attempts from 3 point range. I think that speaks for itself in a way, as NBA 2 guard prospects have to show/prove they can bury the NBA 3.

The bolded was what I was mainly talking about. And he didn't mention any of the testing.

The bolded was what I was mainly talking about. And he didn't mention any of the testing.

The line that concerns me is "He can still go back to school, but it’s worth wondering how much better he’ll look in a year if he does."

This was his write up.

Oh, and middle of the pack is cherry picking a couple of tests. Look at my post about his placement in everything. I'd say its a lot better than a general middle of the pack.

I wonder what his path would have been if he went to Michigan.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he regrets not going to Michigan. Probably one of the reasons why he’s making the NBA decision on his own.

Having said that, I don’t know if his path would have been all that different. Flashes of brilliance mixed with struggles. Two and done.

You can fall without looking bad. Guys around him stood out.

Yesterday both Pinson and the Kansas kid, who everyone raved about Thursday, were horrible and worse than Battle was Thursday. And neither did as well as Battle in the other drills and measurables.

Yesterday both Pinson and the Kansas kid, who everyone raved about Thursday, were horrible and worse than Battle was Thursday. And neither did as well as Battle in the other drills and measurables.

I wasn’t referring to those guys. FWIW ESPN had him as a faller as well.

Stats aren't everything, but even Huerter didn't play well. Shot very poorly. And in the drills and measurements, Battle did better in more than half of them. Yet people are gaga about him. I have no doubt he's probably a 2nd rounder, but some people are bending over backwards trying to say he did poorly. And I'll say even ESPN isn't looking at the full combine either.

I just read that article. He didn't say he dropped, just that he didn't improve his stock. But the guy was wrong anyways. He claims Tyus only took one three pointer and missed in 38 mins (meaning both games). He made one on Thursday and took a few.

Stats aren't everything, but even Huerter didn't play well. Shot very poorly. And in the drills and measurements, Battle did better in more than half of them. Yet people are gaga about him. I have no doubt he's probably a 2nd rounder, but some people are bending over backwards trying to say he did poorly. And I'll say even ESPN isn't looking at the full combine either.

I’m not saying he did poorly. I thought he did fine. I think part of it is he’s facing an uphill battle with his skill set compared to other guys who are more versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.