Uconn Fans: Long | Syracusefan.com

Uconn Fans: Long

Tobias Funke

All Conference
I will preface this by saying that like all fanbases not all fans are bad. I can deal with the trash talk, although it gets pretty ridiculous at times. I have been to Cuse games at MSG, Providence, BC, Uconn, and Cuse. I have always hated going to Uconn games, specifically at the XL. Seems like friendly trash talk always gets escalated quickly in the upper seating over there. Reminds me of my trips out to Buffalo to watch the Pats play. this year I passed and my brother went alone. This is usually good because i can talk some trash but he is very quiet and just enjoys the game, maybe some loud clapping but nothing else. So my point is his odds of being messed with were significantly lower. In his section he said a lot of Cuse fans were leaving early because the heckling was just relentless, but he stayed until the final buzzer. As he walked out to his car he was called a f@g by some guy and when he told him to cut the 3 guys jumped him. All because he had his Cuse gear on.

Full disclosre if it was me when i was younger I would have had it coming likely, but my brother is just not that guy. There were mutiple people who witnessed it and said they would tell the police what they saw and he did not provoke these guys. I was always in the camp that I wanted to see Uconn in the ACC, but because of 3 thugs I say Good riddance.

I hear you Tee, just venting more than anything. Some people just takle sports to a weird place

i got nothing against UCONN. they built a hell of a program and helped raise the stature of the big east. as coach calhoun said they were never our biggest rival but perhaps we were theirs. i hated losing some prime recruits to the huskies (coughrudygaydonyellmarshallcough) but will miss the high level of competition they provided.and we really should have kicked their butts wednesday night as a goodbye present. and yes jerk voskuhl is and always will be a stinkin TAINTWIPE.

I hear you Tee, just venting more than anything. Some people just takle sports to a weird place
Big time, way too far.
Anyway, I wouldn't blame you or your brother for not going there anymore.

Let me start this by saying that I am sorry to hear about your brother.

Here is my view from somewhat of a different perspective than you-

I view UConn fan the same as a sox fan, as a Pats fan, as a Bruins fan, as a Celtics fan.

I do not consider the Bills as a typical NY team... more of a Buffalo/Toronto team.

That being said, the New England fan base is about as bad as it gets. (class wise)

Not saying I am correct... just how I view it.

I attended the Bills/Pats game in Buffalo this year with two of my sons (one of which is a huge Pats fan). My other son and I are Bills fans. There were three female Pats fans behind us and they were so obnoxious, people wanted to hurt them. Loud shrill voices nonstop the entire game, cussing that would make Sam Kinison (rip) blush. Even my Patriot fan son was disgusted by it. One guy about six rows in front of them threatened them, but it didn't even slow them down. I thought it was unusual being NE has owned the Bills for so long to have their fans be so obnoxious.

I will preface this by saying that like all fanbases not all fans are bad. I can deal with the trash talk, although it gets pretty ridiculous at times. I have been to Cuse games at MSG, Providence, BC, Uconn, and Cuse. I have always hated going to Uconn games, specifically at the XL. Seems like friendly trash talk always gets escalated quickly in the upper seating over there. Reminds me of my trips out to Buffalo to watch the Pats play. this year I passed and my brother went alone. This is usually good because i can talk some trash but he is very quiet and just enjoys the game, maybe some loud clapping but nothing else. So my point is his odds of being messed with were significantly lower. In his section he said a lot of Cuse fans were leaving early because the heckling was just relentless, but he stayed until the final buzzer. As he walked out to his car he was called a f@g by some guy and when he told him to cut the 3 guys jumped him. All because he had his Cuse gear on.

Full disclosre if it was me when i was younger I would have had it coming likely, but my brother is just not that guy. There were mutiple people who witnessed it and said they would tell the police what they saw and he did not provoke these guys. I was always in the camp that I wanted to see Uconn in the ACC, but because of 3 thugs I say Good riddance.

Similar stuff has happened to me at the dome, luckily I wasn't really alone as I had just left my friends a bit earlier when they stopped in the head. Idiots exist in all fanbases. I did report the incident though it ended with only a few bruises, and I will say the guys were Cuse fans but seemed more like locals than students. The police never did a thing about it.

Still nothing was worse than a live USA versus Mexico soccer game in Azteca. I'm lucky I got out of that only covered in piss and feces and a black eye.

One more reason why people are happy to stay home and watch these events on giant HD TVs. Comfortable, cheaper and you don't have to worry about being accosted.

I attended the Bills/Pats game in Buffalo this year with two of my sons (one of which is a huge Pats fan). My other son and I are Bills fans. There were three female Pats fans behind us and they were so obnoxious, people wanted to hurt them. Loud shrill voices nonstop the entire game, cussing that would make Sam Kinison (rip) blush. Even my Patriot fan son was disgusted by it. One guy about six rows in front of them threatened them, but it didn't even slow them down. I thought it was unusual being NE has owned the Bills for so long to have their fans be so obnoxious.

I guess it illustrates he bad all sports fan bases can be. Went to Buffalo in 2007. Decided to leave the jersey behind and just wore my hat. On the way into the game I was hit in the face by a cup full of soda. Security saw it and recommended I lose the hat. When we got to our seats I spent the first Half watching the Pats go up 35-0 and just getting harassed like crazy. Least enjoyable sports experience of my life.

Wearing gear to any away game can be dangerous, especially if you are mouthy and/or alone. As others have said, every fan base will have it's miscreants. I don't blame you or your brother for your hard feelings, but I'd still wager the fans in question were a decided minority. I have to take objection to knocking another downtrodden upstate NY city's fan base as well. I mean, San Francisco had 2 shootings and a beating in it's parking lot in a preseason game not so long ago.

Similar stuff has happened to me at the dome, luckily I wasn't really alone as I had just left my friends a bit earlier when they stopped in the head. Idiots exist in all fanbases. I did report the incident though it ended with only a few bruises, and I will say the guys were Cuse fans but seemed more like locals than students. The police never did a thing about it.

Still nothing was worse than a live USA versus Mexico soccer game in Azteca. I'm lucky I got out of that only covered in piss and feces and a black eye.
Caw, what is it w/ UConn fans all of a sudden? Most of us actually respected ur program & considered it a fierce but worthy rivalry. But once u guys got passed over by the ACC, suddenly Syracuse became ur target. Now on numerous message boards, UConn fans go outta their way to put SU down. How does that advance ur case, & why all the venom? It just seems like its more pronounced, and really bitter. What gives w/ u guys?

I view UConn fan the same as a sox fan, as a Pats fan, as a Bruins fan, as a Celtics fan.

I do not consider the Bills as a typical NY team... more of a Buffalo/Toronto team.

That being said, the New England fan base is about as bad as it gets. (class wise)

it always makes me mad when people act like fools especially your teams fans. My parents lived in Boston and raised me on the Red Sox. Let's just say the fan base has changed some in the last 15 years and not for the better.

Wearing gear to any away game can be dangerous, especially if you are mouthy and/or alone. As others have said, every fan base will have it's miscreants. I don't blame you or your brother for your hard feelings, but I'd still wager the fans in question were a decided minority. I have to take objection to knocking another downtrodden upstate NY city's fan base as well. I mean, San Francisco had 2 shootings and a beating in it's parking lot in a preseason game not so long ago.

Not sure why you object to me knocking the fans of the bills. I just told a simple story.

Hey, sorry about Azteca, that was way too rough.

Not sure why you object to me knocking the fans of the bills. I just told a simple story.

I just messing with you man, even trying to get a slight bit of humor in there. I guess I wasn't overly thrilled in the first post when you said the Bills' games reminded you of the incident that happened with your brother. I'm not upset or anything, just sticking up for what I believe to be a good fan base is all. I think I'm going to log off, my posts aren't doing so well tonight. :)

I guess it illustrates he bad all sports fan bases can be. Went to Buffalo in 2007. Decided to leave the jersey behind and just wore my hat. On the way into the game I was hit in the face by a cup full of soda. Security saw it and recommended I lose the hat. When we got to our seats I spent the first Half watching the Pats go up 35-0 and just getting harassed like crazy. Least enjoyable sports experience of my life.
I really don't want to go incognito tomorrow. Got my birthday present Cuse hooded sweatshirt that might not have brought luck at MSG but still, I love wearing it.

Now, from looking at me and all of my 5'6 inch tall frame, you wouldn't think I was a tough guy, but as my wife said to a friend the other day, 'he is not afraid of one person on this planet'. Don't get me wrong, I never started trouble, but I never backed down too. That's my own temperament and I am certainly not proud of it.

So, question to the board. Do I not wear my Cuse sweatshirt? I know not to start trouble, but do I not cheer? I might even meet up with a colleague who is an SHU fan maybe one of the board members as well, but am going alone. I saw the Yankees in San Diego when they swept (best or one of the best winning percentages in a single season), sat in the uppers, befriended an ex Golden Gloves boxing champ who moved from East New York to SD (he must have been at least 70 years old) while other Yankee fans were stirring up plenty of trouble. But again, went solo, no trouble as I'm a nice guy. My problem is I'm a nice guy until someone starts up.

What to do?

I just messing with you man, even trying to get a slight bit of humor in there. I guess I wasn't overly thrilled in the first post when you said the Bills' games reminded you of the incident that happened with your brother. I'm not upset or anything, just sticking up for what I believe to be a good fan base is all. I think I'm going to log off, my posts aren't doing so well tonight. :)

I got you Captain. You are good

Went to the XL Center two years ago, and I'll never go back. The place is an absolute DUMP. And their fans are ruthless. Aside from UConn, I've been to road games @ Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova...and nothing compares to Connecticut. My friend and I were heckled all game, called names that I would never repeat. We won the game that night, which made the trip a lot better at least.

I really don't want to go incognito tomorrow. Got my birthday present Cuse hooded sweatshirt that might not have brought luck at MSG but still, I love wearing it.

Now, from looking at me and all of my 5'6 inch tall frame, you wouldn't think I was a tough guy, but as my wife said to a friend the other day, 'he is not afraid of one person on this planet'. Don't get me wrong, I never started trouble, but I never backed down too. That's my own temperament and I am certainly not proud of it.

So, question to the board. Do I not wear my Cuse sweatshirt? I know not to start trouble, but do I not cheer? I might even meet up with a colleague who is an SHU fan maybe one of the board members as well, but am going alone. I saw the Yankees in San Diego when they swept (best or one of the best winning percentages in a single season), sat in the uppers, befriended an ex Golden Gloves boxing champ who moved from East New York to SD (he must have been at least 70 years old) while other Yankee fans were stirring up plenty of trouble. But again, went solo, no trouble as I'm a nice guy. My problem is I'm a nice guy until someone starts up.

What to do?

Hell go with your orange gear on and cheer. Its only Seton Hall. Probably more Syracuse fans than Hall fan anyways.

The New England fan base? Holy crap! Now I've heard everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What to do?

Seton Hall is a very docile crowd. Never had a problem there whatsoever. Oh, and there will be probably 5k of your closest friends wearing Orange anyway. It will be a neutral court game (at best).

Wear Orange.

Caw, what is it w/ UConn fans all of a sudden? Most of us actually respected ur program & considered it a fierce but worthy rivalry. But once u guys got passed over by the ACC, suddenly Syracuse became ur target. Now on numerous message boards, UConn fans go outta their way to put SU down. How does that advance ur case, & why all the venom? It just seems like its more pronounced, and really bitter. What gives w/ u guys?

I have to admit I talk crap about Cuse, I don't think the amount has changed since before the ACC stuff. It's a rivalry, so it's fun to tweak the opposing fans sometimes. I try to keep things factual though.

There are a few reasons some might be taking it harder:

1 - There are a few Cuse fans that go to messageboards and trash UConn just as hard, you could say relentlessly. There are probably as many derogatory posts about UConn on this board (if not more) than on the-boneyard.

2- There is some jealousy about Cuse being in a better conference. UConn might land on it's feet, but damn if it isn't a big question mark right now. I personally don't think UConn's brand or success will drop off that much (or as much as most Cuse fans think), but to go from playing in the best basketball conference in the land to the 4th or 5th at best sucks. The reason I don't think there will be a huge dropoff is because college basketball is all about coaching and I think Ollie is a good enough coach to keep UConn relevant and contending but it's more fun when it's a nightly test rather than a regular season breeze. UConn could be what Memphis was under Calipari, but clean (I dare someone to say Ollie isn't).

3- There were numerous reports that Cuse officials, lead by Boeheim, went out of their way to lobby against UConn being included, when it was UL versus UConn, in the ACC, even though they didn't have a vote. True or not that is going to piss off UConn fans.

4- The blanket increase in messageboard usage among younger (dumber) fans on both sides. Let's be honest, some people take trolling as an art form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom