UConn hoops back to Big East | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

UConn hoops back to Big East

Not. Gonna. Happen. They had to go to the B1G for hockey because something happened to Hockey East (IIRC it folded because people had to re-form conferences or something to that effect). Their administration and their fans didn't want to do it and wouldn't have done it without the collapse of Hockey East. ND considers itself an Eastern school that happens to be in the Midwest because the bulk of their alums are from the East Coast. Other than the Chicago area, there really aren't that many in the Midwest. Their current contract with the ACC ends in 2036. I don't see ND and the ACC coming up with a schedule of 5 games that will result in 3 ND losses, short of a total implosion of their program. Make no mistake, most on their hard-core board hate Kelly and want him gone yesterday. But few of them see that implosion on the horizon, the bad looks more to them like a bunch of 8-4/7-5 seasons.

All of what you said, and add that to cover their national recruitment of students (more so than players in general), they have 6 eastern games (3 home and 3away - 5 ACC and Navy) covering heavily Catholic areas/regions, two games against the west coast (1 home, 1 away), and few games to cover other areas.

Too many prognosticators forget that ND is nationwide university when drawing students. They have to play a national schedule for exposure otherwise they become a regional Catholic university and there are many of them already.

People who don’t care to look at the facts and just want to be ideals have no freaking clue how this stuff works.
Louisville wasn’t the original choice to replace Maryland it was UConn but Florida State and Clemson cashed in their political capital and didn’t want another northeast basketball first school with no football history brought into the ACC.

The ACC needed to placate Florida State and Clemson at that time and Louisville because of their history with Florida State in the metro and Charlie Strong rebuilding Louisville football made them the choice especially since they had a strong basketball pedigree and were closer to the ACC footprint than UConn.

Louisville over UConn is the starting point for a lot of the good that has happened for the conference.

What other northeast school is a basketball first school with no football history? Certainly not SU as they were tagged to join wen FSU was tagged SU was tagged when Miami was tagged. And the third time was a charm.

Pitt's overall history is on par with SU's history. BC's may not be as illustrious but it is better than Louisville's, anyone in the AAC and a few ACC schools.

SU, Pitt and BC are football first, always have been, always will be.

Temple is finding room for a stadium, I think, in their close quarters, where there's a will, there's a way.

Location, location, location. Temple could probably buy and raze a square mile of property within walking distance of their campus if they wanted to. Nova’s campus is in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in SEPA, if not the East Coast.

What other northeast school is a basketball first school with no football history? Certainly not SU as they were tagged to join wen FSU was tagged SU was tagged when Miami was tagged. And the third time was a charm.

Pitt's overall history is on par with SU's history. BC's may not be as illustrious but it is better than Louisville's, anyone in the AAC and a few ACC schools.

SU, Pitt and BC are football first, always have been, always will be.
Unlike BC/Pitt/SU UConn didn’t have a football history those other 3 are northeast schools and aren’t football first. That was the point UConn was the same but didn’t even have the history so it turned FSU/Clemson off even more.
SU is not football first. It’s football/basketball equal.

They just neede
Location, location, location. Temple could probably buy and raze a square mile of property within walking distance of their campus if they wanted to. Nova’s campus is in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in SEPA, if not the East Coast.
They just needed to upgrade their current stadium to the minimum capacity requirement. Play big games at the Eagles stadium.

They just neede

They just needed to upgrade their current stadium to the minimum capacity requirement. Play big games at the Eagles stadium.

Oh, is that all?

You mean their 12,500 seat stadium that is shoe horned into its current location between US30 and the main east west Amtrak passenger rail lines between Philadelphia and points west.

Why let reality get in the way of what they should have done to try to create a football program that wouldn’t stand a chance of competing for fan attention in a decidedly NFL town.

They are not going to be on the P5 gravy train, that's for sure. BC is a small catholic university and they made it happen.
There is always an exception to the rule. That doesn't mean the rule is not true in an overwhelmingly number of the cases.

Unlike BC/Pitt/SU UConn didn’t have a football history those other 3 are northeast schools and aren’t football first. That was the point UConn was the same but didn’t even have the history so it turned FSU/Clemson off even more.
SU is not football first. It’s football/basketball equal.
While I respect your position, I fundamentally disagree. SU has plainly stated they are a football school, left the Big East to protect football, and historically been known as a football school. Even before hoops became prominent. If it weren't for the GRob years,nthis probably is never even a thought.

Re: Pitt and Beantown College, again, Pitt is a football first school. You may want to check their history, they have several pre-NCAA championships. BC, I don't recall, has ever claimed to be a basketball school.

This is my opinion, take it for what it is worth, I think you have bought into the media/SEC bias that unless you win the championship regularly, you must be a hoops first school. History is important, while I agree that UCan't has no history in football, that does not equate to SU (or Pitt or BC) not having a history on the gridiron.

Anyway, not worth debating, you won't change my mind and I am not likely to change yours.

They are not going to be on the P5 gravy train, that's for sure. BC is a small catholic university and they made it happen.
BC is small? Their enrollment is about the same as SU's. It is smaller than DePaul, St Jon's and Georgetown, but 25% more than Villanova.

Oh, is that all?

You mean their 12,500 seat stadium that is shoe horned into its current location between US30 and the main east west Amtrak passenger rail lines between Philadelphia and points west.

Why let reality get in the way of what they should have done to try to create a football program that wouldn’t stand a chance of competing for fan attention in a decidedly NFL town.
They were an D-1 team in a conference with a BCS bowl tie-in and all they had to so was make it work. UCONN hesitantly made the jump and ended up winning the conference and playing in the Fiesta bowl. That could easily have been Villanova. And they will never get that opportunity again.

They were an D-1 team in a conference with a BCS bowl tie-in and all they had to so was make it work. UCONN hesitantly made the jump and ended up winning the conference and playing in the Fiesta bowl. That could easily have been Villanova. And they will never get that opportunity again.
You're holding up UConn as a positive example?

While I respect your position, I fundamentally disagree. SU has plainly stated they are a football school, left the Big East to protect football, and historically been known as a football school. Even before hoops became prominent. If it weren't for the GRob years,nthis probably is never even a thought.

Re: Pitt and Beantown College, again, Pitt is a football first school. You may want to check their history, they have several pre-NCAA championships. BC, I don't recall, has ever claimed to be a basketball school.

This is my opinion, take it for what it is worth, I think you have bought into the media/SEC bias that unless you win the championship regularly, you must be a hoops first school. History is important, while I agree that UCan't has no history in football, that does not equate to SU (or Pitt or BC) not having a history on the gridiron.

Anyway, not worth debating, you won't change my mind and I am not likely to change yours.
Every school is a football school. Think about the biggest basketball programs and, at every single one of them, football revenue is higher. This includes Duke, Kentucky and Kansas. They may not be higher by much but they are higher.

Think about that. Football is a complete afterthought at Kansas yet it brings in more revenue than the basketball program...

In fact, the only school where football and basketball revenues were essentially equal was Louisville. No idea how that is possible.

{snip}

In fact, the only school where football and basketball revenues were essentially equal was Louisville. No idea how that is possible.
I don't know for certain, but it may be some sort of combination of being sold out all the time in a 22K-seat arena and the rents collected for other events like concerts.

I don't know for certain, but it may be some sort of combination of being sold out all the time in a 22K-seat arena and the rents collected for other events like concerts.
Found it...Suite revenue from the Yum center...

Louisville hoops revenue

However, note that it dwarfed Louisville football when Louisville was in the Big East but Football has now drawn even...

I'm glad that Cinci will get a taste of that exit money.

The rest of the AAC ... meh.

The AAC exit fee for UConn is only $10M. Not quite a huge windfall for Cincy or the other AAC schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom