Umm this Zion Williamson guy... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Umm this Zion Williamson guy...

Who? Tony "red" Bruin, the best swingman since Benny goodman? ;)

285lb 18 year old with a 45" vertical?! Enlighten me my friend.

Charles Barkely -- who was 6-4 and about 270 in college, and when he first got to the NBA.

Shorter and a bit lighter, but same physique / versatility.

Chewy will own Zion.
Not so sure about that.

However, I think our guys are in much better shape and our zone will smother him.

Not so sure about that.

However, I think our guys are in much better shape and our zone will smother him.
Chewy will take him to school:)

I meant was I said. That was the most impressive showing I have seen from a bigger dude who sees the floor since I saw a young Carmelo Anthony in the 2002 McDonald's Game. I would truly be shocked if Duke loses. At all. I know it's waaaay early and yea I hate Duke too but they going 40-0.

I hate it too but I calls it likes I sees it.

I meant was I said. That was the most impressive showing I have seen from a bigger dude who sees the floor since I saw a young Carmelo Anthony in the 2002 McDonald's Game. I would truly be shocked if Duke loses. At all. I know it's waaaay early and yea I hate Duke too but they going 40-0.

I'll take that bet.

Agree.

Draemond was fat at MSU so thats my comparison for Zion. A little too early to tell if he ends up being that good after 1 game.

Shame hes not playing for Frank Martin would love to see guys like this on their own team.

Totally different players in my opinion. Williamson is otherworldly athletic with the grace of a much smaller man. He is a legit 280 and not fat. Green better shooter and far better defender. Green is at his ceiling. IF Zion plays defense and develops a J with range, he can be all NBA. Much as I hate Duke, I am a fan of the sport and this kid is very special. Green is good but he benefits greatly by having the teammates he does. No team game plans for him.

lol

Totally different players in my opinion. Williamson is otherworldly athletic with the grace of a much smaller man. He is a legit 280 and not fat. Green better shooter and far better defender. Green is at his ceiling. IF Zion plays defense and develops a J with range, he can be all NBA. Much as I hate Duke, I am a fan of the sport and this kid is very special. Green is good but he benefits greatly by having the teammates he does. No team game plans for him.

Yeah, Draymond is not a physical freak at all. He’s strong and a fluid athlete for a guy with that build which gives him versatility defensively. But he’s not all that explosive athletically IMO.

Charles Barkely -- who was 6-4 and about 270 in college, and when he first got to the NBA.

Shorter and a bit lighter, but same physique / versatility.
Barkley was fat (280). They didn't call him the "round mound of rebound" for nothing. He actually had a pizza delivered to a game, or so they say. Barkley was explosive but not nearly on the level of this kid. Zion is a better ball handler and passer but not as good a shooter as Barkley at this stage. Barkley also played defense.

I want to see Duke play a halfcourt game. Totally different than just letting people run up and down.

Draymond isn't a physical freak lol the crap you read on the internet. Dude is all of 6-6 and hes the best defender in the NBA and all around toughest forward to play against (not center.) Just noting that he was fat in college.

He had to get into shape to be this kind of athlete but not sure why that works against him. His team was probably better when him and Klay had bigger roles and Durant didn't hop on the bandwagon. Zion will be lucky to have that kind of career and he is doing it vs kids his age noone on the floor Tuesday was old enough to drink not against established NBAers.

Anyone see what happened to the Warriors last night without Draymond? THey lost by 30 at home.

I have a feeling we might see Duke 4 times this year. Feel pretty good about Marek shutting him down TBH Marek thrives on those matchups.

Draymond isn't a physical freak lol the crap you read on the internet. Dude is all of 6-6 and hes the best defender in the NBA and all around toughest forward to play against (not center.) Just noting that he was fat in college.

He had to get into shape to be this kind of athlete but not sure why that works against him. His team was probably better when him and Klay had bigger roles and Durant didn't hop on the bandwagon. Zion will be lucky to have that kind of career and he is doing it vs kids his age noone on the floor Tuesday was old enough to drink not against established NBAers.

Anyone see what happened to the Warriors last night without Draymond? THey lost by 30 at home.

I have a feeling we might see Duke 4 times this year. Feel pretty good about Marek shutting him down TBH Marek thrives on those matchups.

Wow... so much to unpack here.

duke will have few losses, they are not running the table

duke will have few losses, they are not running the table
I dunno...Syracuse might be able to do it but only cuz Boeheim. Look at what he did with this group in the Sweet Sixteen vs. Duke. Incredibly undermanned, nowhere close to being as talented overall as that collection of top NBA draft picks, but still Syracuse only lost by 4 pts. Amazing.

The guy is a defensive genius (he'll finally be recognized as such this year). And he had our starting five locked into that special mental zone where they were hitting big shot after big shot. We figure to definitely slow them down quite a bit, and expose them to some frustration like they will experience vs. no other team this year.

After all, Villanova had one of those nights many years ago vs. Georgetown back in the day in the last game of the year, so yeah...while I definitely think its likely that this year's Duke team will go undefeated, based on what I saw a few days ago, you never know how things are going to unfold...

I want to see Duke play a halfcourt game. Totally different than just letting people run up and down.

They can. They moved the ball great against UK. Those aren’t bums on UK. That Keldon Johnson would score 20ppg here he is that good. He’s a better version of a Battle/Brissett mix. PJ Washington and Montgomery are good. Gotta zone them.

UK had guys ready to take charges but these dudes were making amazing acrobatic drives to avoid them. Unselfish passing. I don’t think they will run the table but I would not be surprised if nobody really challenges them. It looked like men amongst boys physcially and athletically and UK has some ballers.

Feel pretty good about Marek shutting him down TBH Marek thrives on those matchups.

Zion could snap Marek in half. I love Dolezaj but he'd be giving up ONE HUNDRED FREAKING POUNDS, not to mention that he'd be at a distinct quickness disadvantage both laterally and vertically.

SU team defense might shut him down, but Dolezaj himself in a 1-on-1 matchup would be in a lot of trouble.

Zion could snap Marek in half. I love Dolezaj but he'd be giving up ONE HUNDRED FREAKING POUNDS, not to mention that he'd be at a distinct quickness disadvantage both laterally and vertically.

SU team defense might shut him down, but Dolezaj himself in a 1-on-1 matchup would be in a lot of trouble.

Its basketball not UFC your not allowed to snap someone in half the skinny guy just has to get a hand in your face to make you miss. JJJ did nothing against him and Bridges was limited that game.

Our team and our zone are the ones who can give Duke a run for their money. We had them last year until Moyer couldn't give us 5 good minutes to end the first half after some bs calls on Marek.

Its basketball not UFC your not allowed to snap someone in half the skinny guy just has to get a hand in your face to make you miss. JJJ did nothing against him and Bridges was limited that game.

Our team and our zone are the ones who can give Duke a run for their money. We had them last year until Moyer couldn't give us 5 good minutes to end the first half after some bs calls on Marek.

You're talking crazy. I have watched enough of Williamson to know that once he gets you moving your feet, you're cooked. He just powers to the basket and through people. He is just too big and strong. If you don't think strength is a huge factor, why are people concerned with skinny players and the need to put on weight? It's because they can't hold their ground or deter a much bigger/stronger player. And as the poster above said, he has amazing agility and the ability to avoid charges.

It was a team effort defensively. The defense up top was excellent creating a lot of problems against MSU. Still don’t know how we won with the way they murderered us on the glass. These Duke guys have much better athletes and more importantly, finishers, than MSU. We could get murdered again on the glass. I wouldn’t want Marek on an island too much against Zion. He’s a different kind of cat. This is one of the few times I’m happy we are a zone team. They would completely destroy this roster in a M2M game. We have length but the team speed is average, IMO.

“GET A HAND IN HIS FACE! Why didn’t I think oft that!”

-John Calipari, furiously scribbling notes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom