Umm this Zion Williamson guy... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Umm this Zion Williamson guy...

It was a team effort defensively. The defense up top was excellent creating a lot of problems against MSU. Still don’t know how we won with the way they murderered us on the glass. These Duke guys have much better athletes and more importantly, finishers, than MSU. We could get murdered again on the glass. I wouldn’t want Marek on an island too much against Zion. He’s a different kind of cat. This is one of the few times I’m happy we are a zone team. They would completely destroy this roster in a M2M game. We have length but the team speed is average, IMO.

Thought UK should have gone zone. Likely not in their arsenal.

Duke has two Melos

Thought UK should have gone zone. Likely not in their arsenal.

Duke has two Melos

I think Duke got them out of M2M. They just don’t practice zone. They have a Melo in Barrett and a LBJ/Larry Johnson hybrid in Zion. Reddish is very good and Bolden is good.

Well... it wasn't very long ago that a fellow denizen of this board assured me that we would bead Duke every time we played them this season... and I mean he was adamant... as Donald Trump would say... We'll have to wait and see...

Draymond isn't a physical freak lol the crap you read on the internet. Dude is all of 6-6 and hes the best defender in the NBA and all around toughest forward to play against (not center.) Just noting that he was fat in college.

He had to get into shape to be this kind of athlete but not sure why that works against him. His team was probably better when him and Klay had bigger roles and Durant didn't hop on the bandwagon. Zion will be lucky to have that kind of career and he is doing it vs kids his age noone on the floor Tuesday was old enough to drink not against established NBAers.

Anyone see what happened to the Warriors last night without Draymond? THey lost by 30 at home.

I have a feeling we might see Duke 4 times this year. Feel pretty good about Marek shutting him down TBH Marek thrives on those matchups.

What does any of that have to do with w...never mind.

Rant on, Frankie!

Kids first step is something I haven't seen from someone his age since Bron, and Williamson is beefier.

Shouldn't be able to do what he does at that weight.

The amount we downplay legit talent around here and stay utterly stupid comments like Chukwu or Marek can shut him down sounds ignorant.

Kids first step is something I haven't seen from someone his age since Bron, and Williamson is beefier.

The amount we downplay legit talent around here and stay utterly stupid comments like Chukwu or Marek can shut him down sounds ignorant.

Apparently there are too many Duke (objective) posts for certain posters’ liking. I mean I hate them as much as anybody else but these guys are freaks with the ball. Talking Zion and Barrett. It’s just being objective. Kentucky all of a sudden sucks (Salukis are pretty good actually...87 in KenPom), Marek’s gonna take care of Zion, Duke can’t shoot, etc. Can’t make this stuff up, lol.

Apparently there are too many Duke (objective) posts for certain posters’ liking. I mean I hate them as much as anybody else but these guys are freaks with the ball. Talking Zion and Barrett. It’s just being objective. Kentucky all of a sudden sucks (Salukis are pretty good actually...87 in KenPom), Marek’s gonna take care of Zion, Duke can’t shoot, etc. Can’t make this stuff up, lol.

I agree with both of you about some posters who underestimate other teams. (Zion is a beast. No question.) But the other side of it is pretty loud on this board too. It’s crazy amount of posts that near worship other players and defend other coaches/programs. And you never hear them speak of their supposed favorite team with such enamorment.

I agree with both of you about some posters who underestimate other teams. (Zion is a beast. No question.) But the other side of it is pretty loud on this board too. It’s crazy amount of posts that near worship other players and defend other coaches/programs. And you never hear them speak of their supposed favorite team with such enamorment.

Good word...”enamorment.” I’ll put myself out there. We’re on this site here everyday as a community. We all bleed Orange of course. Personally, the product for me has been hard to watch the past five years or so with the exception of some surprising tourney runs. Some of it valid reasons some of it simpy excuses. But, you know what? I watch. Sure I may complain. It’s valid to say the offense was historically bad last year. At times nearly unwatchable considering this is a major college program with some good recruits on the roster. I have a right to say I don’t like playing all zone. I have a right to say I don’t like JB’s offensive approach at times. I have a right to not particularly like Frank’s offensive game but appreciate his growth and maturity. But, I watch. I go to games (road) and don’t sit at home with the Orange-Goggles chastising those with any complaints. I like watching Villanova play. I like watching Virginia and Michigan move the ball. Yes, often I like their schemes better than ours. But, I watch Syracuse. I went to Dayton and Detroit. I was simply wowed by the plays Zion and Barrett were making. So what?

I’m very optimistic this year and really like this team. I’ll probably complain less. Better for everybody, ha.

Last edited:
Good word...”enamorment.” I’ll put myself out there. We’re on this site here everyday as a community. We all bleed Orange of course. Personally, the product for me has been hard to watch the past five years or so with the exception of some surprising tourney runs. Some of it valid reasons some of it simpy excuses. But, you know what? I watch. Sure I may complain. It’s valid to say the offense was historically bad last year. At times nearly unwatchable considering this is a major college program with some good recruits on the roster. I have a right to say I don’t like playing all zone. I have a right to say I don’t like JB’s offensive approach at times. I have a right to not particularly like Frank’s offensive game but appreciate his growth and maturity. But, I watch. I go to games (road) and don’t sit at home with the Orange-Goggles chastising those with any complaints. I like watching Villanova play. I like watching Virginia and Michigan move the ball. Yes, often I like their schemes better than ours. But, I watch Syracuse. I went to Dayton and Detroit. I was simply wowed by the plays Zion and Barrett were making. So what?

I’m very optimistic this year and really like this team. I’ll probably complain less. Better for everybody, ha.

We're very similar.

What we do have is a deep squad with lots of fouls to give and he is only 1 man. We have 4 or more that can drive the lane to draw fouls( god help them). We also play zone and hopefully can collapse on him.

What we do have is a deep squad with lots of fouls to give and he is only 1 man. We have 4 or more that can drive the lane to draw fouls( god help them). We also play zone and hopefully can collapse on him.

I'm not saying he can't be stopped because you're right, it will take a strong team zone to take him down.

I'm not saying he can't be stopped because you're right, it will take a strong team zone to take him down.

Some decisions will need to be made when we play them. Stopping him may lead to uncontested 3s, and they have shooters who can convert. Maybe let Zion attack and get his big dunks that are only worth 2 points. Just don't let him foul out our bigs and convert free throws into old school 3 point plays.

But that's why JB gets the big bucks. Let him show us the way.

welcome to thunder dome. hope we can find a weakness in there somewhere. dogwhistle ?

It will be interesting the strategy deployed. Reddish has size too at his spot and Barrett might be the best pure scorer in the P5.

I'm not trying to hot take but they might have an issue with too much talent on the floor and not enough shots to go around. Sure they looked like a well oiled machine their first game but playing another brand new team of lesser burger boys is sort of an ideal matchup. The ACC has good defenses its not just us that can throw teams off not sure its a lock they would wipe a team like Clemson off the floor and win by 20+.

I honestly wish my Celtics could have left Gordon Heyward in Utah last night its breaking my heart to see Tatum have to be a friggen role player this year. Scary Terry having a lesser role because of Kyrie is OK but Tatum regressing because selfish ass Heyward has to get his SUCKS. That dude went out of his way to give yukon a national championship they had that game won.

I'm not trying to hot take but they might have an issue with too much talent on the floor and not enough shots to go around. Sure they looked like a well oiled machine their first game but playing another brand new team of lesser burger boys is sort of an ideal matchup. The ACC has good defenses its not just us that can throw teams off not sure its a lock they would wipe a team like Clemson off the floor and win by 20+.

I honestly wish my Celtics could have left Gordon Heyward in Utah last night its breaking my heart to see Tatum have to be a friggen role player this year. Scary Terry having a lesser role because of Kyrie is OK but Tatum regressing because selfish ass Heyward has to get his SUCKS. That dude went out of his way to give yukon a national championship they had that game won.

Quite possible. I’m sure they will have some natural letdowns againt less talented teams. BOS will be fine. More weapons now. Hayward deserves this run. They paid him big before the injury and is expected to play lots of minutes. He’ll be fantastic once he gets more comfortable. He did have 7 assists last nght.

Watching duke vs army. Zion is so athletic he’s not containable. Add to that he dives for balls on the floor. He plays like he’s trying to earn playing time.

I’m sad and can’t believe what I am seeing.

Watching duke vs army. Zion is so athletic he’s not containable. Add to that he dives for balls on the floor. He plays like he’s trying to earn playing time.

I’m sad and can’t believe what I am seeing.

And Army was still within 6 in the 2nd half at one game point.

Last edited:
And Army was still within 6 in the end half at one game point.

And this is what is important. They took a while to pull away from an Army team coming off a nail biter vs Marist. They have a lot of offensive weapons along with playing awful defense. Their offense is certainly better than last year to a degree but defensively they have taken two steps back.

And this is what is important. They took a while to pull away from an Army team coming off a nail biter vs Marist. They have a lot of offensive weapons along with playing awful defense. Their offense is certainly better than last year to a degree but defensively they have taken two steps back.

They're playing 3 forwards and a center most of the time.

They're going to have issues with guard play for a lot of the season I think.

K usually gets his teams to improve on defense as the year goes on, so I expect that they will get a lot better in that area as the year goes on.

They're playing 3 forwards and a center most of the time.

They're going to have issues with guard play for a lot of the season I think.

K usually gets his teams to improve on defense as the year goes on, so I expect that they will get a lot better in that area as the year goes on.

I think it's fair to say they will be similar to last season in terms of wins and how far they can go. They will be more explosive and likely have some big wins over good teams ( debatable whether UK counts to that yet given they didn't look good at all) but overall a very similar team to last year.

It's a bummer we couldn't have talked O'Connell into not following the legacy path. Nice player but recruited over already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom