UNC Asheville Scouting Report | Syracusefan.com

UNC Asheville Scouting Report

Marsh01

Living Legend
Posted before. In case anyone missed it.

UNC-Asheville Bulldogs (24-9) Team Scouting Report

Conference: Big south – 2012 Regular Season Champions (16-2)

RPI – 114
SOS – 219
Opponent SOS – 254
0-1 vs. Top 25 RPI
0-2 vs. Top 50 RPI
0-5 vs. Top 100 RPI

Notable Opponents:

North Carolina (lost 91-75)
NC State (lost 84-75)
Uconn (lost 73-63)
Tennessee (lost 72-68)

Season Summary:

Preseason UNC Asheville was picked to win the Big South Conference and won it by 4 games over Coastal Carolina. The only teams in conference to beat them were Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina.

They finished the season with a school record 24 wins. They played a very strong non conference schedule which included many BCS teams however the only team they were able to beat was lowly Utah. They also played Ohio in a bracketbusters game and got blown out 81-62

They advanced to the NCAA tournament by winning their conference tournament. The Bulldogs had little trouble with any of their opponents in the Big south tournament as they beat High Point, Charleston Southern and finally VMI to capture the automatic bid on their home floor. It was the second straight year that they have won their conference tournament. Last year in the NCAA tournament they faced Arkansas Little Rock in one of the “play-in” games defeating the Trojans 81-77. They then advanced to play #1 seed Pitt in their first round game. They hung with the top seeded Panthers for about 30 minutes before eventually losing 71-54 and thus ending their season.

Team Summary:

UNC-Asheville’s roster is dominated by upper classmen. Four of their top 6 players are seniors and the other 2 are juniors. Their top 5 scorers all average in double figures. This team was 5th in the country in PPG averaging 81.2 points per contest. They also share the ball well and finished 8th in assists per game dishing out 16.6. They are a good shooting team and have a .484 FG% per game which ranks them 16th nationally. They are an average rebounding team averaging 34.7 RPG. The one thing this team can do is shoot FT’s. They are one of the top FT shooting teams in the country shooting a whopping .762% from the FT line. They have 5 players averaging over 75% and 2 players who average over 85%

This is a VERY small team who plays a predominately 3 guard starting 5. They do not start a player above 6’5”. The fact that they are in the top 50% of rebounding teams in the country with such little height is pretty remarkable. They average 11 offensive rebounds per game.

They are not a great three point shooting team despite playing so many perimeter players. They only have one player who averages over 40% from three point range and that is one of their reserves Quinard Jackson and he is only 9-20 for the season. In their conference tournament they went a combined 12-55 from behind the arc which only equates to about 22%.

Defensively they do average about 8 steals a game however they only block about 3 shots per game. They are a team that takes care of the ball while averaging just under 13 turnovers per contest.

They do have decent rebounding guards who average 3.3 RPG respectively and their 2 forwards average 6.3 and 6.6 RPG.

Player Summary:

Their best player is senior guard Matt Dickey. He was the Big South’s pre-season player of the year and ended up winning that award at the end of the season. He is a 6’1” guard who averages 16.5 ppg, and dishes out 3.6 assists per game. He is a decent three point shooter who has made 61 shots from behind the arc this season and averages .381% from three point range. He also averages 3.4 RPG and 3.6 APG. He is also a deadly foul shooter averaging close to 87% from the charity stripe.

Dickey’s backcourt mate is senior 6’1”guard JP Primm. He averages 15.3 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 4.2 APG. He has made 71 three pointers this season. Much like Dailey Primm is also a very good FT shooter at 84%.

Asheville’s third starting player is a combo senior G-F Chris Stephenson. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 13.1 PPG. He is a decent rebounder for his size averaging over 6 boards a game. He has also made 20 three pointers this season. He has committed 3 fouls per game and needs to stay on the floor for the Bulldogs.

Starting at one of the 2 frontcourt positions is junior F Jeremy Atkinson. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 11.7 PPG. He is their best rebounder who averages 6.6 RPG and has also made 14 three point shots this season. He also is a very good FT shooter who averages close to 75% from the line.

Rounding out their starting 5 is senior F Quinard Jackson. He is listed at 6’5” and averages 5.1 PPG. He also averages 3.3 RPG. As far as percentage wise he is their best three point shooter but he has only attempted 20 three point shots this season while making nearly half of them at 9.

Their top reserve is junior G-F Jaron Lane. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 11.3 PPG. He also averages 4 RPG and shoots it at almost 80% from the charity stripe. He has only made 12 three pointers this season while attempting 41.

Final Summary:

UNC Asheville is a heavy upper classmen team that certainly is no stranger to winning big games. They are the 2 time Big South Champions and will be playing in their second straight NCAA tournament. They also will not be intimidated by playing a #1 seed given their strong non conference schedule coupled with having played against a #1 seed in last years NCAA Tournament.

This team likes to score and will not be a team that will milk the shot clock on every possession. Given the lack of size on this team they will struggle against any team with size, especially on the interior. They certainly need to make shots, especially from behind the arc and that really isn’t a forte of this team. They need the right matchup in the NCAA tourney and will struggle to compete with a team like Kentucky, Syracuse or North Carolina because of the size and length of these 3 teams. In their one game against UNC this season (which was a home game for the Bulldogs) they were able to keep it respectable despite being dominated on the glass. They did make 8 three point shots and took advantage of 17 Tar Heel turnovers. This was only the second game of the season for both teams.

I do not see this team being a problem for any #1 seed as long as the #1 seed does not let this team hang around into the second half. If they are able to make shots and rebound then they may put a scare into a #1 seed. They do have experience on their side however. They are going to need it.

seems like they are better than your usual 16. with no regular over 6'5, how did they stay anywhere near ncst, uconn and tenny? even losing by 16 at unc isn't that bad.

seems like they are better than your usual 16. with no regular over 6'5, how did they stay anywhere near ncst, uconn and tenny? even losing by 16 at unc isn't that bad.

UNC game was two days after they played Sparty on the boat. That was also at UNCA and really was their Super Bowl. Carolina turned it over 17 times that game as well. Very experienced team is what they are.

Small teams gave prior Cuse teams trouble. Not this one. We'll extend the zone and if they can hit the seams they'll still be stopped by Fab, Baye, Rak. Not going out on a limb here am I? I like that they like to run. They did play a tough OOC and played them tough but I doubt those results would be as close now.

omg they are so short...Fab better have 30 and 20! :)

Posted before. In case anyone missed it.

UNC-Asheville Bulldogs (24-9) Team Scouting Report
Conference: Big south – 2012 Regular Season Champions (16-2)
RPI – 114
SOS – 219
Opponent SOS – 254
0-1 vs. Top 25 RPI
0-2 vs. Top 50 RPI
0-5 vs. Top 100 RPI
Notable Opponents:
North Carolina (lost 91-75)
NC State (lost 84-75)
Uconn (lost 73-63)
Tennessee (lost 72-68)
Season Summary:
Preseason UNC Asheville was picked to win the Big South Conference and won it by 4 games over Coastal Carolina. The only teams in conference to beat them were Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina.
They finished the season with a school record 24 wins. They played a very strong non conference schedule which included many BCS teams however the only team they were able to beat was lowly Utah. They also played Ohio in a bracketbusters game and got blown out 81-62
They advanced to the NCAA tournament by winning their conference tournament. The Bulldogs had little trouble with any of their opponents in the Big south tournament as they beat High Point, Charleston Southern and finally VMI to capture the automatic bid on their home floor. It was the second straight year that they have won their conference tournament. Last year in the NCAA tournament they faced Arkansas Little Rock in one of the “play-in” games defeating the Trojans 81-77. They then advanced to play #1 seed Pitt in their first round game. They hung with the top seeded Panthers for about 30 minutes before eventually losing 71-54 and thus ending their season.
Team Summary:
UNC-Asheville’s roster is dominated by upper classmen. Four of their top 6 players are seniors and the other 2 are juniors. Their top 5 scorers all average in double figures. This team was 5th in the country in PPG averaging 81.2 points per contest. They also share the ball well and finished 8th in assists per game dishing out 16.6. They are a good shooting team and have a .484 FG% per game which ranks them 16th nationally. They are an average rebounding team averaging 34.7 RPG. The one thing this team can do is shoot FT’s. They are one of the top FT shooting teams in the country shooting a whopping .762% from the FT line. They have 5 players averaging over 75% and 2 players who average over 85%
This is a VERY small team who plays a predominately 3 guard starting 5. They do not start a player above 6’5”. The fact that they are in the top 50% of rebounding teams in the country with such little height is pretty remarkable. They average 11 offensive rebounds per game.
They are not a great three point shooting team despite playing so many perimeter players. They only have one player who averages over 40% from three point range and that is one of their reserves Quinard Jackson and he is only 9-20 for the season. In their conference tournament they went a combined 12-55 from behind the arc which only equates to about 22%.
Defensively they do average about 8 steals a game however they only block about 3 shots per game. They are a team that takes care of the ball while averaging just under 13 turnovers per contest.
They do have decent rebounding guards who average 3.3 RPG respectively and their 2 forwards average 6.3 and 6.6 RPG.
Player Summary:
Their best player is senior guard Matt Dickey. He was the Big South’s pre-season player of the year and ended up winning that award at the end of the season. He is a 6’1” guard who averages 16.5 ppg, and dishes out 3.6 assists per game. He is a decent three point shooter who has made 61 shots from behind the arc this season and averages .381% from three point range. He also averages 3.4 RPG and 3.6 APG. He is also a deadly foul shooter averaging close to 87% from the charity stripe.
Dickey’s backcourt mate is senior 6’1”guard JP Primm. He averages 15.3 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 4.2 APG. He has made 71 three pointers this season. Much like Dailey Primm is also a very good FT shooter at 84%.
Asheville’s third starting player is a combo senior G-F Chris Stephenson. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 13.1 PPG. He is a decent rebounder for his size averaging over 6 boards a game. He has also made 20 three pointers this season. He has committed 3 fouls per game and needs to stay on the floor for the Bulldogs.
Starting at one of the 2 frontcourt positions is junior F Jeremy Atkinson. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 11.7 PPG. He is their best rebounder who averages 6.6 RPG and has also made 14 three point shots this season. He also is a very good FT shooter who averages close to 75% from the line.
Rounding out their starting 5 is senior F Quinard Jackson. He is listed at 6’5” and averages 5.1 PPG. He also averages 3.3 RPG. As far as percentage wise he is their best three point shooter but he has only attempted 20 three point shots this season while making nearly half of them at 9.
Their top reserve is junior G-F Jaron Lane. He is listed at 6’4” and averages 11.3 PPG. He also averages 4 RPG and shoots it at almost 80% from the charity stripe. He has only made 12 three pointers this season while attempting 41.
Final Summary:
UNC Asheville is a heavy upper classmen team that certainly is no stranger to winning big games. They are the 2 time Big South Champions and will be playing in their second straight NCAA tournament. They also will not be intimidated by playing a #1 seed given their strong non conference schedule coupled with having played against a #1 seed in last years NCAA Tournament.
This team likes to score and will not be a team that will milk the shot clock on every possession. Given the lack of size on this team they will struggle against any team with size, especially on the interior. They certainly need to make shots, especially from behind the arc and that really isn’t a forte of this team. They need the right matchup in the NCAA tourney and will struggle to compete with a team like Kentucky, Syracuse or North Carolina because of the size and length of these 3 teams. In their one game against UNC this season (which was a home game for the Bulldogs) they were able to keep it respectable despite being dominated on the glass. They did make 8 three point shots and took advantage of 17 Tar Heel turnovers. This was only the second game of the season for both teams.
I do not see this team being a problem for any #1 seed as long as the #1 seed does not let this team hang around into the second half. If they are able to make shots and rebound then they may put a scare into a #1 seed. They do have experience on their side however. They are going to need it.

You don't have an iota of basketball knowledge.

I bet you haven't played beyond middle school.

If there was ever a game we should outrebound the opposition, this would be it!

So Marsh, this isn't a team we have to worry about hitting 12 or so 3s against? I know even if they did that we'd still probably win, but I'ld love a relatively painfree game that was over by half.

So Marsh, this isn't a team we have to worry about hitting 12 or so 3s against? I know even if they did that we'd still probably win, but I'ld love a relatively painfree game that was over by half.

Not really sure what their strategy will be but I think they will at least try top make 3 point shots. I cant see how they can beat us any other way. We are so much longer than they are and I cant see them getting clean looks over our zone defenders assuming we actually get in their face.

You don't have an iota of basketball knowledge.

I bet you haven't played beyond middle school.

On the contrary, I witnessed some stellar CYO performances in high school

Thanks for posting, great job!

I think that we should dominate in the paint obviously, maybe even a Fab triple double. If we shoot well and do not turnover we will win big. If we don't, it will be uncomfortable close. This is a very good 16 seed. It is very unnatural for a team that runs to totally stop that style of play and slow down.

I was quite the legend...

The Elvir Ovcina of Fairmount...

; )

Marsh, I was referring to a mini-argument thread I had yesterday. No offense!

The Elvir Ovcina of Fairmount...

; )

Marsh, I was referring to a mini-argument thread I had yesterday. No offense!

I figured it out. I wish I had Elvir's J!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom