Unintended consequences | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Unintended consequences

The NCAA and the member institutions were asleep at the wheel thinking they were teflon and counting their cash. One day a book will be written about how inept and out of touch they were in leading to their demise.

For sure they have been a running joke for years. They function in a similar fashion to FIFA and the Olympics committee.

With three of our best CB's not playing, I feel this game is a glorified scrimmage. Great live practice prep for next year, but not much more. I'll still watch because I'm interested in seeing our players' development. Still, it's tough to take these games seriously when it's essentially unencumbered free agency as soon as the regular season ends.
Not only that but I feel that this transfer portal/NIL is really a final nail in the coffin for programs like this one competing at a high level. The Pinstripe Bowl is probably the ceiling for a program like this one with the current factors in place working against it. Now they are close to a point where they have trouble fielding a competitive team. Lose a few more players and safety becomes an issue too.

Ya

Ya, well…not in a rush to buy any merch now, who knows if that player will be around anymore( ie. Duce). And all that does is hurt their NIL. My head hurts
Yeah, I'm the same way. I bought a Tucker shirt from the bookstore and a Cruz shirt at the tailgate, but that's it. Regardless of what Sean does, I'm happy I bought his merch. He is one of the greatest SU running backs, and that won't change. If he transfers, I won't wear it again, but if he declares for the draft, sure, why not. I'll root for him like crazy in the NFL.

But going forward, we'll see how fans support the merch sales. You are right; it hurts some players' NIL, but the whole system is going to take a while to evolve and when it does, the factories are going to get richer, and everyone else will be fighting for the scraps. Same as always, only turbocharged.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I bought a Tucker shirt from the bookstore and a Cruz shirt at the tailgate, but that's it. Regardless of what Sean does, I'm happy I bought his merch. He is one of the greatest SU running backs, and that won't change. If he transfers, I won't wear it again, but if he declares for the draft, sure, why not. I'll root for him like crazy in the NFL.

But going forward, we'll see how fans support the merch sales. You are right; it hurts some players' NIL, but the whole system is going to take a while to evolve and when it does, the factories are going to get richer, and everyone else will be fighting for the scraps. Same as always, only turbocharged.
There is this weird thing where people are pointing out we are pulling people from the portal too so its fair.

Losing starters to P5 programs and replacing them with P5 benchwarmers or FCS starters is not the same. Maybe we will occasionally find a good player in the portal but we aren't going to be pulling starters from P5 programs. Syracuse is a g league team now just training guys up for better opportunities.

There is this weird thing where people are pointing out we are pulling people from the portal too so its fair.

Losing starters to P5 programs and replacing them with P5 benchwarmers or FCS starters is not the same. Maybe we will occasionally find a good player in the portal but we aren't going to be pulling starters from P5 programs. Syracuse is a g league team now just training guys up for better opportunities.

agree 100%. We can't lose all league players and think it's ok because we added a kid who used to play football at Alabama.

It's a bummer to build up the team for 2 or 3 years, where you can get ranked in a season, only to have your roster gutted at the end of the year. Hard to get excited about the future at this point.

A team like Syracuse will have to catch lightening in a bottle, like this season, and hope to squeeze into a 12 team playoff. Have the team gutted and then hope you can make another run in 3 or 4 years.

So far, we've gotten more from the portal than we've lost to the portal, and it isn't particularly close.

Folks aren't handling well losing one of our known players. It's a confirmation of their fears.

A bit early to say this symbolizes a reversal of our portal fortunes overall, though.

So far, we've gotten more from the portal than we've lost to the portal, and it isn't particularly close.

Folks aren't handling well losing one of our known players. It's a confirmation of their fears.

A bit early to say this symbolizes a reversal of our portal fortunes overall, though.

1671028778110.jpeg

They’ve always been glorified scrimmages - bowls need to figure out an NIL deal to make them worth their while
Remember when this whole NIL stuff was being proposed and bandied about ad nauseam…. The claim was “kids need to get a share of the money schools are making.”

Well the new normal is not redistributing the monies to give players a share, it’s simply hitting up everybody to inject MORE money into the system. Here’s a hint: more money is bad. The system now is so awful, it will never recover.

Last edited:
They’ve always been glorified scrimmages - bowls need to figure out an NIL deal to make them worth their while
Or their original NIL deals have to contractually cover an entire season including bowl games.

Or their original NIL deals have to contractually cover an entire season including bowl games.

NIL can NOT be "pay for play". Period, full stop.

So, that idea is DOA.
Sorry.

Their Name, Likeness, and Image technically don't have to do with playing, or even which school they play at.

Yeah, I know... total BS.

The NCAA and the member institutions were asleep at the wheel thinking they were teflon and counting their cash. One day a book will be written about how inept and out of touch they were in leading to their demise.

And these poorly conceived measures intended to be capitulations against the groundswell of player disgruntlement starting in 2020 were rushed into implementation [the portal, NIL], and only served to hasten the NCAA's irrelevant demise.

Much worse now, given the attrition at pretty much every university. It's no longer a representation of the team on the field all year. It's a look at the team you might have in the future.

the NIL is a canary in the coalmine because it's going to impact the big schools who will actually complain to their congressmen/senators about enacting legislation. I think it's a minor thing in terms of important work our congress does but it's a lane of action that bipartisan common sense legislation can fix for sure.

No doubt the senators from Florida/Alabama/Ohio/California/Texas could work together to fix something here. No matter their political leanings this is something that needs to be fixed at the congressional level or else the game will meander further into a place no one wants it to go

the NIL is a canary in the coalmine because it's going to impact the big schools who will actually complain to their congressmen/senators about enacting legislation. I think it's a minor thing in terms of important work our congress does but it's a lane of action that bipartisan common sense legislation can fix for sure.

No doubt the senators from Florida/Alabama/Ohio/California/Texas could work together to fix something here. No matter their political leanings this is something that needs to be fixed at the congressional level or else the game will meander further into a place no one wants it to go
Ummmm

Those schools/senators from those states WANT this advantage.

agree 100%. We can't lose all league players and think it's ok because we added a kid who used to play football at Alabama.

It's a bummer to build up the team for 2 or 3 years, where you can get ranked in a season, only to have your roster gutted at the end of the year. Hard to get excited about the future at this point.

A team like Syracuse will have to catch lightening in a bottle, like this season, and hope to squeeze into a 12 team playoff. Have the team gutted and then hope you can make another run in 3 or 4 years.
yep, forget "hard to get excited", it's hard to have hope, like any at all for anything really special, with this the new normal, both with football and hoops. Especially since when we do find the lightening knowing that injuries will just deplete any real chance for anything special.

My fandom is hanging by a thread(meaning daily engagement/seasons tix, tailgating, etc.), and it's what Javadoc posted that the biggest strand of thread keeping me engaged is the community we've created here along with the next level amazing things we've done with the tailgate group.

Think that's whats gonna keep me engaged, at least for a while when and until the age stuff and more and more of this crap we're discussing here will complete the pull back.

Last edited:
Remember when this whole NIL stuff was being proposed and bandied about ad nauseam…. The claim was “kids need to get a share of the money schools are making.”

Well the new normal is not redistributing the monies to give players a share, it’s simply hitting up everybody to inject MORE money into the system. Here’s a hint: more money is bad. The system now is so awful, it will never recover.

Podcasts and tee shirts...

It's a ripoff. Already paying dearly, fans will say it lose interest, players will lose interest and the SYSTEM will collapse!

NIL can NOT be "pay for play". Period, full stop.

So, that idea is DOA.
Sorry.

Their Name, Likeness, and Image technically don't have to do with playing, or even which school they play at.

Yeah, I know... total BS.
Yeah, here's the order to think about it in.

An individual's standing and "fame" for lack of a better term as an athlete can determine in general and in practice their relative market value for NIL.

But NIL cannot and does not relate to an individual's actual participation in competition.

That's when it crosses into pay-to-play, and that's a no no.

Yep. And so many people screamed kids should get a cut of all the money the schools make. Where’s the cut for that 3rd string punter? The system now is only to reward the very best players with the big money deals and for fans to pay for it.

It's a ripoff. Already paying dearly, fans will say it lose interest, players will lose interest and the SYSTEM will collapse!

College football is dying, y’all

College football is dying, y’all

And attendance is going down nationwide and has been. And before you say well that’s just more eyeballs watching the games on TV, sure for now. Will fans lose enough interest to decrease viewership? Is a fan base developed based on Frankie’s in the seats or on the couch? Those TV deals are speculative and may be successful or may not.

And attendance is going down nationwide and has been. And before you say well that’s just more eyeballs watching the games on TV, sure for now. Will fans lose enough interest to decrease viewership? Is a fan base developed based on Frankie’s in the seats or on the couch? Those TV deals are speculative and may be successful or may not.
Then they will have to worry about that in 2030 when the deal is over.

We’ll all be 8 years older and we can make the same posts about the sport dying

Yeah, here's the order to think about it in.

An individual's standing and "fame" for lack of a better term as an athlete can determine in general and in practice their relative market value for NIL.

But NIL cannot and does not relate to an individual's actual participation in competition.

That's when it crosses into pay-to-play, and that's a no no.

Is it determined by market value?

Or is it determined by what some other team's boosters are willing to pay above market value, to get you to leave?

Is it determined by market value?

Or is it determined by what some other team's boosters are willing to pay above market value, to get you to leave?
Eh.

It's lazy but you can short cut to say whatever a player can get is market value.