UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games | Syracusefan.com

UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games

I agree with UNLV and Cal. And no jinx here, but I’ve watched a lot of ACC football to start the season and I think we’re in the conversation towards the top. Obviously it’s early in the season and transitive properties don’t apply, I just feel we are that talented.

Our offense can play with anybody in the conference. Defensively we have work to do, but yesterday was very encouraging. I have a little doubt special teams will get cleaned up.

Can’t wait to watch our team grow.

UNLV plays Kansas Saturday should be a game to watch. Fun schedule regardless.

Personally I think Louisville is the best team in the ACC. Just don’t trust the Coach or at Miami
They are agreed but as another poster noted we are also playing better than perhaps thought. I think our offense is significantly better than we all imagined. So Cal and UNLV are a bit better...sure but we are a bit better than thought as well.

I think UNLV is by far our hardest game until Cal. I actually hope we are not ranked going into Stanford so Fran can use it to motivate before that game as a coming out.
Really looking forward to watching Kansas/ UNLV but KU dropped a game to Illinois yesterday

Not going to anoint Louisville at this point. They played Austin P and Jack st. Need to beat a quality team.
Believe they have a bye this week as well, then play GTech at L-ville so should be a good one.

UNLV hung 72 in their last game. 72 is still 72 no matter who you’re playing.

They also went on the road and blew out Houston who played Oklahoma tough this weekend.

Maybe the better question is why isn’t UNLV ranked??

If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Georgia Tech was supposed to be tough, too.

If we want to be a good team, then we have to beat other good teams. Frankly, the schedule heading into the season seemed charmin paper tissue soft. It is probably good that teams like UNLV and Cal are pretty good, because it will reflect more favorably on our SOS when we beat them.

Not going to anoint Louisville at this point. They played Austin P and Jack st. Need to beat a quality team.
I think Ville's team last year was far better. Jahwar and a RB that got drafted early Plummer is better than Shough.

I don't think they have a prayer of going 2-0 vs GT and ND.

Every team in the league would get curb stomped by UGA week 1 so I don't think you can hold that against Clemson and Miami is a playoff top 12 lock if Ward stays healthy all season. Even if they get upset somewhere they won't implode or routinely play down to crap teams like UVA like they do annually. Martinez and Restrapo are better versions of Pena and Allen. We're fortunate to play them so late and its probably a weird game where one team has a spot locked up in the ACC CG. Plus Ward may not make it that far. They should be ranked top 5 not 12 IMO.

UNLV will be a good game but they've played lousy competition. Houston was a disorganized dumpster fire when they played, and Utah Tech is equivalent to scrimmaging against walk-ons. Who knows how good they really are.
That “disorganized dumpster fire” was within 1 score of beating Oklahoma at Oklahoma.

They also went on the road and blew out Houston who played Oklahoma tough this weekend.

if you can avg 8 yds a run no team should ever lose

I don’t think UNLV or Cal are bad teams. I think they are fine.

But I think we’ll smoke both of them, pending us not shooting ourselves in the foot on specials or something.

The GT game got as close as it did bc everything broke for GT at the end.

If you just start going through the teams and seeing who you pick, if anyone, over McCord, OG, etc, imo we’re the more stacked team.

We aren’t perfect, but we were up 31-14 on a good GT team.

I would be disappointed losing to either and I think by the time we get to those games, we’re going to have a QB that’s near the top of the Heisman talk, OG will be tracking towards AA status and Pena will be looking like all conference.

I dunno, usually I’ll convince myself that we have just as good of players as teams we played in past years and then realize that I’m just an idiot.

But this year? I think our O is scary good. And getting better.

Yep I got us losing to them in the preseason progs thread, gonna be tough for us to focus with all distractions Vegas and playing in an nfl stadium brings, plus on paper unlv looked to be a very good team.

That said I wrote that before realizing this staff may be able to overcome all that, along with GREAT senior leaders who may be able to help in that regard, and finally the transcendent talent that Mccord brings to the table.

I mean I know he’d be good, but this good!? No way. Plus The off the field leader ship hes already showing, 12-0 isn’t going to happen but to even present it this way, it’s completely unexpected and very exciting.

2 weeks to prep for Stanford, get it done

pay attention to details for HC get it done

go to UNLV on a short week who has 2 tough games in Fresno and Kansas.

ESPn has us as underdogs vs UNLV but Fav vs NC st and dogs vs Pitt. wierd

UNLV will be a good game but they've played lousy competition. Houston was a disorganized dumpster fire when they played, and Utah Tech is equivalent to scrimmaging against walk-ons. Who knows how good they really are.
They’re good again like last year but we should be able to put up a lot of points on them and even in the blowout over Houston, Sluka didn’t do much at all, still a question of how he translates against bigger competition. Won’t be easy but if we have our heads on straight I expect a 38-20 kind of game

If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Georgia Tech was supposed to be tough, too.

If we want to be a good team, then we have to beat other good teams. Frankly, the schedule heading into the season seemed charmin paper tissue soft. It is probably good that teams like UNLV and Cal are pretty good, because it will reflect more favorably on our SOS when we beat them.
Yup. And absolute statements made preseason about how soft the schedule is or is not should always be taken with a grain of salt in the age of the portal and NIL. As we have seen, that probably also holds true for the first few weeks of the season as well.

Beating the next team on your schedule is what matters most in the moment. Rankings, SOS, and perceptions will change accordingly as the season plays out.

Last edited:
That “disorganized dumpster fire” was within 1 score of beating Oklahoma at Oklahoma.
"..when they played" is the key part of the post that you left out. And they absolutely were a disorganized dumpster fire on Week 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom