UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

I’m confused (big shock there I know). But if NIL is not “pay to play”, why does the broken agreement keep him from playing football. Shouldn’t he just keep playing and sue the booster/boosters/collective for breach of contract? I mean they paid him to appear in ads, or sign autographs, etc. not to play football. Right? Am I right?
The problem is that they haven't paid him what was promised. And no contract was signed because the assistant coach couldn't get the collective to pony up the cash that he promised. Who's he suing?

The problem is that they haven't paid him what was promised. And no contract was signed because the assistant coach couldn't get the collective to pony up the cash that he promised. Who's he suing?
According to one side . ( Maybe true )

Honest question, because I don't know, but I thought there was a rule against NIL being used as a recruiting enticement? As in, NIL can't be negotiated or promised prior to signing an LOI. Is that not the case? And if it is the case, wouldn't an assistant coach promising Sluka NIL money to go to UNLV be a violation?

I know, I know...none of this gets enforced anyway. But can someone clarify is in fact that rule exists?

Not to derail but wouldn't mind being handed a nice $100k burger of a check... the numbers thrown around here, for players many have not even heard of, still being like 3x more than the average American salary.

What a time!

Also 11-1 is back on the table!

week GIF

3k a month is all they are paying their top player and quarterback?That just sounds ridiculous.
Do we have a clue what McCord is making? Just curious.

I had UNLV as a loss so this is a great development. Getting out of there with a win puts us in good shape.

At what point does the IRS start getting involved? When universities are paying players to play how can they continue to be tax exempt. (At least the athletic departments)

Hard to comment without knowing all the facts but…yikes.

Was he promised NIL payments by now that haven’t been paid? Yikes

Was he already offered NIL money by another program if he sits out the rest of the year and redshirts? Yikes.
I mean surely UNLV did not believe that their probable starting QB was transferring in solely because they picked up his moving expenses (I.e. so discussions were being had).

3k a month is all they are paying their top player and quarterback?That just sounds ridiculous.

That was their offer AFTER they had pulled back on the initial $100K offer, if you believe everything that's been posted.

Word is McCord got around $800K.

I mean surely UNLV did not believe that their probable starting QB was transferring in solely because they picked up his moving expenses (I.e. so discussions were being had).

As we learn more, yes this can't be much of a surprise to them. They just need that Pac-12 money to start flowing through.

28a94dcc-6de9-4ba3-8607-350dc06bbe10_text.gif

Not really sure. Which of our players do you think has the most NIL value?

he's better than Shrader. I think you are miscalculating this by a very long amount.

He may be good enough for a Taysom Hill role in the NFL. He's a very good college qb. I mean FSU would take him tomorrow right now.
No, he’s not. He’s completed under 50% of his passes each game and has less than 100 yards in 2 of them. This is not a QB I want at Syracuse. He’s an awful passer who makes Shrader look like Joe Montana.

Not to derail but wouldn't mind being handed a nice $100k burger of a check... the numbers thrown around here, for players many have not even heard of, still being like 3x more than the average American salary.

What a time!

Also 11-1 is back on the table!

week GIF
Supply/demand.

How many guys with college eligibility can be an effective QB for an FBS team?

If Sluka played a full season, helped them be a top 25 team, and thus attracted an extra 5K people to each home game, $100K is actually an incredibly low sum.

That was their counter after he said honor the deal. You were expecting $100K, we’ll give you $12K in installments, and you should be happy.

If that really is what happened, his actions are entirely understandable.

Well the Athletic just posted an article basically backing up everything the kid said - with both the agent and father going on the record as being promised 100K, agent even saying he negotiated the deal?, and that UNLV NIL refused to honor it. Indeed they were offered 4 monthly payments totaling $12,000, to go with a prior $3,000 payment.. and this offer only came after the 3-0 start, it sounds like before then they were not going to pay him anything.
Seriously, in todays NIL world, who is going to go to a school that can only pay $15,000 to the schools best player.
Frankly, I applaud the player for pointing out how badly he was treated, how penny ante UNLV's NIL is (and we thought we had problems competing!) and for taking control and saying he is outta there.

Considering how much they are paying the coach each year, it seems incredibly stupid and short sighted to treat your star player like pond scum. I would not be surprised if other UNLV players decide to transfer after the season. And it certainly is going to hurt the schools ability to get future transfers.

No, he’s not. He’s completed under 50% of his passes each game and has less than 100 yards in 2 of them. This is not a QB I want at Syracuse. He’s an awful passer who makes Shrader look like Joe Montana.
Let me make it easier for you. IF Bob Chesney was the HC, he would be your starting qb and we would be 2-1 right now. Sluka is a good qb and tons of programs wanted him to play this year.

he's not mccord and i'm not suggesting he is. But he would have been a version of Dungey or Shrader and that has been successful.

he's only thrown 65 tds to 16 ints in his collegiate career. Again, he's not mccord and i prefer mccord.

Everyone is doing cartwheels he's out now for the SU game. if he was so bad throwing the ball we should want UNLV to bring him back for 100k and some drink tickets at Jack Binions

That was their counter after he said honor the deal. You were expecting $100K, we’ll give you $12K in installments, and you should be happy.

If that really is what happened, his actions are entirely understandable.
His story seems more likely and it’s truly hard to believe he would of transferred there for 3k a month

Let me make it easier for you. IF Bob Chesney was the HC, he would be your starting qb and we would be 2-1 right now. Sluka is a good qb and tons of programs wanted him to play this year.

he's not mccord and i'm not suggesting he is. But he would have been a version of Dungey or Shrader and that has been successful.

he's only thrown 65 tds to 16 ints in his collegiate career. Again, he's not mccord and i prefer mccord.

Everyone is doing cartwheels he's out now for the SU game. if he was so bad throwing the ball we should want UNLV to bring him back for 100k and some drink tickets at Jack Binions
Successful, I thought the program was dead?

His story seems more likely and it’s truly hard to believe he would of transferred there for 3k a month
the UNLV story is so preposterous that they are smelling their own farts in record time right now.

Why would anyone go to UNLV for 3k a month and no living expenses! It's so beyond the pale of reasonable. Sluka should just lay low now and find himself to another campus pronto to begin his next tour of duty

Successful, I thought the program was dead?
touche. GS was successful when he was upright. Dungey was successful in 2018. Yes, Dino was great in 2018. The rest of the time we didn't beat a lick of ACC teams consistently.

Go, you can't honestly say the Dino era was successful completely. We had good qbs during his time and never won after Columbus Day absent one year.

This era feels more like Coach P era (and i'm convincing myself of this until we lose our 6th game)

Supply/demand.

How many guys with college eligibility can be an effective QB for an FBS team?

If Sluka played a full season, helped them be a top 25 team, and thus attracted an extra 5K people to each home game, $100K is actually an incredibly low sum.
Oh, I am well aware of how and why. But when we get passed that aspect...

But as we know... best not to look at it that way. Keep that whole "sports lens" on.

Can something be logical while also being totally illogical?

UNLV must have the best football coach in the land if they are undefeated and ranked top 25 without paying NIL money.I mean if their best player is only getting 3k a month how much could the rest of the guys be making?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom