UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

Anyone Sluka thinks will pay him NIL is just going to look for a better QB than him. He could easily never play again. What a clown.
I would think he has a good idea of the market for his services based on when he was in the portal last year.

Should he just play when the boosters are not honoring their NIL commitment?

What's more likely, (a) a college football assistant coach made a sketchy promise to a recruit that the school/collective failed to live up to. Or (b) the QB got paid $100K and then went looking for more after the hot start and concocted a lie to cover this action up.

I'm believing (a) all day because that's how college sports has worked forever. Coaches promise the moon to land someone and then weasel out of it.

Perhaps the Assistant thought he could get the collective to back up the truck, but clearly he made that promise without first securing the funds.

As a school, my bet would be the same - this wouldn’t negatively influence my opinion of the player.

If I was a player considering transferring and looking for NIL money, the way UNLV has handled this so far would have me crossing them off my list immediately. They still have time to recover - but they need to throw their current strategy in the trash can and come up with a new one. Honesty would be my recommended - yet admittedly novel for college football programs - approach.

Last edited:
A lot of selfishness in the USA these days. We are a me first society and it is sad to see. Glad I am old now. Simple solution, ask for volunteer refs to see if you can get enough and have a quick training. Sure, calls may be missed but the kids get to play and that is all that matters here.
That’s not really a simple solution or a good one in reality.

Maybe it’s setting a good example to stand up for yourself.

But there appears to actually be a real shortage.

In a text to soccer parents on Tuesday, Baldwinsville athletic director Chris Campolieta said his team’s postponement had nothing to do with pay and had “everything to do with the very real issue of the shortage of officials.”
I agree there’s a shortage of refs or they would easily replace the refs (some are assigned but waiting to postpone the game on the day of the game).Having more officials looking to earn game time and $ would be a resolution. No doubt they earn their money. I know there was a shortage of football refs a few years ago and that Covid even caused a bigger shortage with older refs retiring but they worked hard to prevent it from affecting game postponements etc. Probably just takes a few refs to take a hard stance to affect games because there is a shortage.I just hope it’s resolved soon, the kids are the victims. Can you imagine being a senior? Below was from 5 days ago and it’s still ongoing. Sorry, I apologize since I know this is all off topic.

From the section 3 executive director.
Certainly I believe it (the payment dispute) is having a larger impact than the one single game last night,” said Section III executive director Jason Czarny. “I think what we’re experiencing right now is unfortunate. There are ways to move toward a resolution on this.”

A while ago, the estimate I heard is that these NIL deals (and this wasn't some random rumor, this was legitimate journalists) were being realized to the tune of 40% of total announced or potential value.

This whole world is still the wild west. And with the redshirt line being four games, it will become a de facto trade deadline until things are more organized.

GT scored 3 offensive points in the 2nd half.
Louisville is top 20. GT not outclassed. GT has a brutal schedule.
GT scored 3 offensive points in the 2nd half.
GT outgained Louisville 410 to 326. 326 on offense isn’t “smoking“ anyone. Louisville supposed to be a high powered offense And “great“ DL. Like our game, one bad turnover was the big play. (Theirs was worse). GT was not outclassed.

A while ago, the estimate I heard is that these NIL deals (and this wasn't some random rumor, this was legitimate journalists) were being realized to the tune of 40% of total announced or potential value.

This whole world is still the wild west. And with the redshirt line being four games, it will become a de facto trade deadline until things are more organized.
Prob need to move it to a 1 game redshirt or else I would guess we'll see more of these type of moves or other "injuries". And yes it will hurt those who actually get hurt...but...I don't see much way around it. NCAA only has a couple tools at their disposal. Eligibility is one.

No thanks. His completion % is 43% this season! Awful passer

Yep. He's a good running QB. Hasn't had a game this year where he was above 50% passing, not even when they scored 72.

“These days”? There’s always been a level of selfishness, it just showed itself in different forms in different eras.

There’s studies on the “Selfish-Selfless Spectrum” which obviously acknowledge both always exist. (One example is Psychopathy to Altruism: Neurobiology of the Selfish-Selfless Spectrum from 2018 in Frontiers in Psychology). The general finding is that selfishness increases in times of conflict/social stress - more recent studies post-2020 indicate selfishness is on the rise in the United States.

I think people tend to massively inflate exactly how good the good ol’ days were - and there’s not any research from whatever time period the good ol’ days were in this case for scholarly comparison. But the idea selfishness has increased in at least the last decade is supported by the data.

Louisville is top 20. GT not outclassed. GT has a brutal schedule.

GT outgained Louisville 410 to 326. 326 on offense isn’t “smoking“ anyone. Louisville supposed to be a high powered offense And “great“ DL. Like our game, one bad turnover was the big play. (Theirs was worse). GT was not outclassed.
UL scored on a fumble in the endzone and a blocked FG. if the fg isnt blocked GT has a short FG to win at the end.

Prob need to move it to a 1 game redshirt or else I would guess we'll see more of these type of moves or other "injuries". And yes it will hurt those who actually get hurt...but...I don't see much way around it. NCAA only has a couple tools at their disposal. Eligibility is one.
I'd hate to see the 4 game redshirt rule get shortened due to these rare, outlier cases. How many guys have done what Sluka is doing?

Meanwhile there are a lot of guys who have benefitted from being able to redshirt after experiencing a season ending injury prior to game 5.

I'd hate to see the 4 game redshirt rule get shortened due to these rare, outlier cases. How many guys have done what Sluka is doing?

Meanwhile there are a lot of guys who have benefitted from being able to redshirt after experiencing a season ending injury prior to game 5.

Agree, I think the Sluka situation is rare, I don't see that becoming an issue. Probably see more kids want some kind of up front guarantee in their NIL commitment if anything.

That said, I think the NCAA was at one point weighing a 5 years to play 5 rule? Would eliminate the redshirt concept altogether. Wouldn't surprise me to see something like this approved. I doubt there will be many cases where a prominent player starts and impacts 60 games in his career. Most that are that good that early would be off to the NFL draft. There'd be some Sam Hartmans, but we all survived the first one (barely...good riddance).

If Fran gets this team to 9 wins that's resurrecting a dead program. Smart programs read through the BS and hire talent. Didn't Saban lose a few games at Mich ST before he left for LSU.

If Fran is on the radar he'll be circled and hunted by the SEC. I have no idea if he's full of or will stick it out. To suggest he won't be in demand if they do good (not great) is naieve IMO...
Huh? It’s 3 more than Dino averaged against three harder schedules with a thinner roster. That’s taking it to a next level, not a rebuild. SU was 18-20 the last three, 33-30 the last five non Covid seasons. That’s not dead, it’s stuck in neutral.

Resurrecting a dead program is going 25-25 inheriting a team that went 10-37 the four years prior.

I would too but I don’t know what other option the NCAA would have. Let’s say next bball season, a team gets off to a hot start, and the starters threaten to leave unless they get more money. The only penalty they have would be to limit their eligibility

Strange stuff - locally we have school soccer games (varsity, JV and modified teams) being cancelled because the section 3 soccer refs don’t like a new procedure for getting paid. Not that they aren’t getting paid but disliking the new online procedure to enter the info to get paid. These poor kid’s soccer teams are paying the price and being punished. Sad. It’s adults setting a horrible example for kids. Uggh

Are you referring to the adults who constantly complain to the refs or the refs making about $115.00 a varsity game to listen to the complaining while officiating the game?

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 1.09.26 PM.jpg

Are you referring to the adults who constantly complain to the refs or the refs making about $115.00 a varsity game to listen to the complaining while officiating the game?
How about it’s really regarding the kids just wanting to compete and play, instead of the so called “adults”?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom