UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

The coach makes 1.75 million a year at UNLV.
And they couldnt come up with 100K for their star player?

Just beyond bizarre and short sighted.
UNLV was such a national feel good story up to last night -
now they seem like a greedy school taking advantage of their star player.
15K - the mind reels that they actually thought that was generous.

Let me make it easier for you. IF Bob Chesney was the HC, he would be your starting qb and we would be 2-1 right now. Sluka is a good qb and tons of programs wanted him to play this year.

he's not mccord and i'm not suggesting he is. But he would have been a version of Dungey or Shrader and that has been successful.

he's only thrown 65 tds to 16 ints in his collegiate career. Again, he's not mccord and i prefer mccord.

Everyone is doing cartwheels he's out now for the SU game. if he was so bad throwing the ball we should want UNLV to bring him back for 100k and some drink tickets at Jack Binions

I don't know how you got my tagged with that quote. lol

Ok, so they are saying he wasn't offered or paid any NIL.
Because it violated the pay for play rules.

What the hell do they think NIL is?
And why do they even have a NIL collective?

He was only offered scholarships.

Again, they are trying to blame the player.

I dare say this is not going to go well for UNLV at all.

So two things here:

1. Does anyone have a link to their fan board? Might be a fun read.

2. There was a recent article about this issue with NIL commitments not being met and athletes refusing to pay. I think someone on here linked to it. It was in Bloomberg news.
BUT look how some of the NILs work. For ex, we can do a monthly subscription. But do some people not follow through with these payments? Even some of the big NIL donors might not follow through. Until the NILs get a chance to fill up their war chests, I think deals are being offered before the money is in their hands. Definitely a problem, especially if they fall short on funding. Now, from all of the above posts we don't know if he wasn't being paid, or if he pulled an in season Jesse Edwards (Like my name for this type of greed?)

Yep. The likelihood of a QB transferring to your school in 2024 with no NIL money coming his way is 0%. Anyone that isn’t clueless knows that.

No idea why UNLV is going this route - but I agree it’s not going to end well.

That looks remarkably identical to the Dinosaur BBQ Red Rub I use!
That's correct! And it's delicious! I started using this almost exclusively about a year ago. I used to use the creole rub but I like this better.

What do YOU think NIL is? The schools can't pay players, and that's pretty much what they are saying.

As If Eye Roll GIF by MOODMAN

Yep. The likelihood of a QB transferring to your school in 2024 with no NIL money coming his way is 0%. Anyone that isn’t clueless knows that.

No idea why UNLV is going this route - but I agree it’s not going to end well.
I know I said they had to say something...but honestly, what they said was quite possibly the dumbest thing possible. They did it from a legal perspective vs. optics. They may as well have said they can't speak to what a collective agreed to with a player...but the reality is, the schools will only be paying these kids directly before long.

Would love to see what other coaches / schools think of UNLV handling this.

Michael Allen seems like a pretty good running back. Is this another player leaving because of NIL or just deciding the team is going to suck without Sluka and doesnt want to waste a year of eligibility.

At any rate looks like the UNLV train is completely off the tracks now. Will there be more players leaving now?

I haven’t a clue on the NIL value, but McCord seems to be the most valuable football player we have.
I think you’re right. There is, of course, a difference between who is the most valuable football player and who has the greatest Name, Image and Likeness value.

What do YOU think NIL is? The schools can't pay players, and that's pretty much what they are saying.

That’s a big part of the problem here. The NIL collectives can make promises they have no intention of meeting. There’s no chance of legal recourse since there’s no formal written contract, and - more importantly - collectives can dissolve in an instant. So the player would be suing a non-existent entity with no funds. Seems kinda pointless. Where would the player go to get such a situation resolved? The more stable ongoing entity - the school. The problem is schools outsources this to unstable collectives and are trying to keep it that way.

This won’t be the last time something like this happens - although I do expect that schools will take the legal correct, morally unjustifiable and frankly disgusting position UNLV has here as long as they possibly can.

Note that they say no Formal NIL offers were made.
No one has said the 100 K NIL offer wasn't made verbally to the player.
No one has said he lied about that, or that his father or agent lied about that.
Just that no formal offer was made.

Seems promises were made to the kid that the NIL collective decided not to honor.
Again, one heck of a bad look to future recruits and transfers.

They really thought, in todays world, that he should be grateful for getting $15,000 in total NIL payoffs.
For a star quarterback who led the team to a 3 and 0 record.
They must have really thought the player and his family were stupid hicks who should be grateful for any crumbs. Holy Cross is a pretty elite academic institution. The average student there certainly knows the value of a dollar and the difference between 100K and 15K

Last edited:
That’s a big part of the problem here. The NIL collectives can make promises they have no intention of meeting. There’s no chance of legal recourse since there’s no formal written contract, and - more importantly - collectives can dissolve in an instant. So the player would be suing a non-existent entity with no funds. Seems kinda pointless. Where would the player go to get such a situation resolved? The more stable ongoing entity - the school. The problem is schools outsources this to unstable collectives and are trying to keep it that way.

This won’t be the last time something like this happens - although I do expect that schools will take the legal correct, morally unjustifiable and frankly disgusting position UNLV has here as long as they possibly can.
Why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom