UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

True, however worse now for sure. Ya think it is going to get better?

No idea. Definitely worse in ways that us adults don’t like, if that makes sense. But the kids didn’t create this level of selfishness on their own. I see it all the time at my “job”. So (many) are doing a terrible job being actual parents. Many parents just have an excuse why their kid did this or that. No level of responsibility being instilled because that would require possibly looking like the bad guy. Lots of parents want to be friends with their kids and their kids friends too. You can instill respect and discipline while still having a good relationship with your kids. But I don’t see that almost at all with most families anymore. But again, the kids and now grown kids, didn’t choose to be raised like that. The adults created some of the selfishness we see today.

There’s studies on the “Selfish-Selfless Spectrum” which obviously acknowledge both always exist. (One example is Psychopathy to Altruism: Neurobiology of the Selfish-Selfless Spectrum from 2018 in Frontiers in Psychology). The general finding is that selfishness increases in times of conflict/social stress - more recent studies post-2020 indicate selfishness is on the rise in the United States.

I think people tend to massively inflate exactly how good the good ol’ days were - and there’s not any research from whatever time period the good ol’ days were in this case for scholarly comparison. But the idea selfishness has increased in at least the last decade is supported by the data.

I understand what you’re saying. Rosa parks would have likely disagreed with the Pollyanna views of the old days being virtuous by all of society.

How about it’s really regarding the kids just wanting to compete and play, instead of the so called “adults”?
Which adults in your post are setting the horrible example to kids? I understand your general point, but as a high school official in another sport I understand why some officials may not like the new system of being paid. No one is getting rich being a high school official and I would say many keep officiating out of sense of duty so kids can have an opportunity to play.

If this is true and UNLV didn't pay Sluka the money they agreed to and then tried to paint him as the bad guy when he left the team they are going to have a very hard time recruiting moving forward.
yup. QB through dad on the record. school only talking on background as sources. school is going to have to say something officially and try to protect their reputation and the coaches...because this is a nail in coffin for future recruiting efforts.

Huh? It’s 3 more than Dino averaged against three harder schedules with a thinner roster. That’s taking it to a next level, not a rebuild. SU was 18-20 the last three, 33-30 the last five non Covid seasons. That’s not dead, it’s stuck in neutral.

Resurrecting a dead program is going 25-25 inheriting a team that went 10-37 the four years prior.
Hard disagree. .500 is dead for a Power 5 program. We were 11-31 in conference in the last 5 years with Dino. That's pretty dead.

Follow me here…what if Fran watched his film and enjoyed it and through back channels hit him up and said come be our QB next year and redshirt this year

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Huh? It’s 3 more than Dino averaged against three harder schedules with a thinner roster. That’s taking it to a next level, not a rebuild. SU was 18-20 the last three, 33-30 the last five non Covid seasons. That’s not dead, it’s stuck in neutral.

Resurrecting a dead program is going 25-25 inheriting a team that went 10-37 the four years prior.
Hard disagree. .500 is dead for a Power 5 program. We were 11-31 in conference in the last 5 years with Dino. That's pretty dead.
We were not dead, we were irrelevant after laying mulitple end of season eggs. Dino drove the program back to the mediocrity level.

I would too but I don’t know what other option the NCAA would have. Let’s say next bball season, a team gets off to a hot start, and the starters threaten to leave unless they get more money. The only penalty they have would be to limit their eligibility
I think the option is to mandate that NIL deals are signed contracts with a defined term. I'd also make them publicly disclosed via a clearinghouse.

But if a player wants to make that kind of threat and bolt, them so be it. The system is already dumb as hell, what's one more log on that fire?

I think the option is to mandate that NIL deals are signed contracts with a defined term. I'd also make them publicly disclosed via a clearinghouse.

But if a player wants to make that kind of threat and bolt, them so be it. The system is already dumb as hell, what's one more log on that fire?
Speaking of "log", this is a bit off topic, but friend and foe alike, I wish you all nothing but smooth sausages in your future.

They can't mandate the contracts. The NCAA has no authority over NIL. They can define eligibility though

No idea. Definitely worse in ways that us adults don’t like, if that makes sense. But the kids didn’t create this level of selfishness on their own. I see it all the time at my “job”. So (many) are doing a terrible job being actual parents. Many parents just have an excuse why their kid did this or that. No level of responsibility being instilled because that would require possibly looking like the bad guy. Lots of parents want to be friends with their kids and their kids friends too. You can instill respect and discipline while still having a good relationship with your kids. But I don’t see that almost at all with most families anymore. But again, the kids and now grown kids, didn’t choose to be raised like that. The adults created some of the selfishness we see today.
Good post, and I would contend that it's more than just "some" of the selfishness, it's basically all.

One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing parents complain about "kids today". Makes me crazy.

Like, we stuck a screen in front of them when they were 2, let them get addicted to social media before they were teens, and then we have the gall to criticize their lack of attention span and poor social skills?!

PEOPLE are selfish, all ages and backgrounds. Honestly, I find today's senior citizens to be the most obnoxious age group to deal with, generally speaking. I see more rude and selfish behavior from seniors then I do from teens, and it's really not even close.

Good post, and I would contend that it's more than just "some" of the selfishness, it's basically all.

One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing parents complain about "kids today". Makes me crazy.

Like, we stuck a screen in front of them when they were 2, let them get addicted to social media before they were teens, and then we have the gall to criticize their lack of attention span and poor social skills?!

PEOPLE are selfish, all ages and backgrounds. Honestly, I find today's senior citizens to be the most obnoxious age group to deal with, generally speaking. I see more rude and selfish behavior from seniors then I do from teens, and it's really not even close.
And my biggest pet peeve is hearing kids (or adults) say "It's just different for kids today" or "it's harder for kids today". uh, no, not even close.

And my biggest pet peeve is hearing kids (or adults) say "It's just different for kids today" or "it's harder for kids today". uh, no, not even close.
Well, that's subjective. The alarming rate of teen suicides and mental health problems suggest something different.

Fair point, that slipped my mind.
Yeah the courts really stripped NCAA of ANY sort of rule establishment when it comes to NIL, for better or worse. Any time I see the "they should fix the transfer portal, there should be a NIL cap, etc etc" my head explodes. They literally can't. They've lost basically every ruling since NCAA vs Alston

Yeah the courts really stripped NCAA of ANY sort of rule establishment when it comes to NIL, for better or worse. Any time I see the "they should fix the transfer portal, there should be a NIL cap, etc etc" my head explodes. They literally can't. They've lost basically every ruling since NCAA vs Alston
Yep. Which of course is why the NCAA (which we all know is really the schools) should have spent their time the past decade crafting logical rules instead of fighting a losing battle in court.

i can't clap louder and harder on your last part.

i would add more but last time i went the political route i got banned from a thread. i'll just nod in agreement with your last paragraph emphatically for all the reasons you probably think.

FWIW, if the UNLV NIL people can't come up with $100K for their star QB then maybe it's best they stay in the Mountain West.

Or team with FSU to join the Sun Belt.
Or close the program.

Well, that's subjective. The alarming rate of teen suicides and mental health problems suggest something different.
We grew up with atomic bomb drills in high school, and didn't all grow up afraid of living. The breakdown of the family unit due to government, Polititions, judges, and lawyers out to make a fast
buck have contributed to problems.
Nuke this thread it's getting bad.

I’m confused (big shock there I know). But if NIL is not “pay to play”, why does the broken agreement keep him from playing football. Shouldn’t he just keep playing and sue the booster/boosters/collective for breach of contract? I mean they paid him to appear in ads, or sign autographs, etc. not to play football. Right? Am I right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom