UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

Strange stuff - locally we have school soccer games (varsity, JV and modified teams) being cancelled because the section 3 soccer refs don’t like a new procedure for getting paid. Not that they aren’t getting paid but disliking the new online procedure to enter the info to get paid. These poor kid’s soccer teams are paying the price and being punished. Sad. It’s adults setting a horrible example for kids. Uggh

A lot of selfishness in the USA these days. We are a me first society and it is sad to see. Glad I am old now. Simple solution, ask for volunteer refs to see if you can get enough and have a quick training. Sure, calls may be missed but the kids get to play and that is all that matters here.

A lot of selfishness in the USA these days. We are a me first society and it is sad to see. Glad I am old now. Simple solution, ask for volunteer refs to see if you can get enough and have a quick training. Sure, calls may be missed but the kids get to play and that is all that matters here.

“These days”? There’s always been a level of selfishness, it just showed itself in different forms in different eras.

Strange stuff - locally we have school soccer games (varsity, JV and modified teams) being cancelled because the section 3 soccer refs don’t like a new procedure for getting paid. Not that they aren’t getting paid but disliking the new online procedure to enter the info to get paid. These poor kid’s soccer teams are paying the price and being punished. Sad. It’s adults setting a horrible example for kids. Uggh

Maybe it’s setting a good example to stand up for yourself.

But there appears to actually be a real shortage.

In a text to soccer parents on Tuesday, Baldwinsville athletic director Chris Campolieta said his team’s postponement had nothing to do with pay and had “everything to do with the very real issue of the shortage of officials.”

The lack of referees for youth sports, is a big problem, not only here but around the country. There are too many incidents of parents screaming at the referees , verbally and sometimes physically assaulting them right there on the field. Who would want to referee and put up with all that? The whole youth sports scene is out of control with travel teams for every sport and parents who think their kid is good enough to get a scholarship or make the pros. Truth is , ninety nine percent of the time they are not. The parents are better off taking all of the money that they are spending on travel and hotel rooms for these traveling teams and putting it into an educational fund for their kids.

What will stop an entire team from not playing due to a universal "pay us a raise for the performance so far" if these contracts are as flimsy as this one. I refuse to believe this is the only one that was a handshake of sorts.

Allegedly the contract was 100k minimum back in february and had nothing to do with the start of the season, per Thamel.

I don't want to put myself in absolutes given so much of this is he-said-she-said, but given those types of details, he is in the right to protect his final year of eligibility based on BS from the coaching staff

Anyone Sluka thinks will pay him NIL is just going to look for a better QB than him. He could easily never play again. What a clown.

UNLV’s starting QB Matt Sluka announced on his Instagram that he won’t be playing the rest of the season due to NIL issues. He will use his redshirt year and transfer in the offseason.

The UNLV game just got a lot easier for us.

He may have been approached with more money to transfer.

Jfc. What a mess the ncaa created.

What's more likely, (a) a college football assistant coach made a sketchy promise to a recruit that the school/collective failed to live up to. Or (b) the QB got paid $100K and then went looking for more after the hot start and concocted a lie to cover this action up.

I'm believing (a) all day because that's how college sports has worked forever. Coaches promise the moon to land someone and then weasel out of it.

Perhaps the Assistant thought he could get the collective to back up the truck, but clearly he made that promise without first securing the funds.

Certainly not JC fault, just a reflection of society, NCAA as well, High level college sports included, JMO
If by "soceity" you mean an institution not living up to a promise, then yes.

Anyone Sluka thinks will pay him NIL is just going to look for a better QB than him. He could easily never play again. What a clown.
Getting promised 100k and getting nothing is not great, I would’ve agreed with you if he asked for more due to the performance to start the season, but all he asked for was what was initially promised.

If Fran gets this team to 9 wins that's resurrecting a dead program. Smart programs read through the BS and hire talent. Didn't Saban lose a few games at Mich ST before he left for LSU.

If Fran is on the radar he'll be circled and hunted by the SEC. I have no idea if he's full of or will stick it out. To suggest he won't be in demand if they do good (not great) is naieve IMO...
If Fran gets this team to 9 wins I'll take you to the Scotch and buy you any pour on the menu.

If Fran gets this team to 9 wins I'll take you to the Scotch and buy you any pour on the menu.
Just pulled up the menu. Some of those prices aren't bad for the really high end bottles.

What's more likely, (a) a college football assistant coach made a sketchy promise to a recruit that the school/collective failed to live up to. Or (b) the QB got paid $100K and then went looking for more after the hot start and concocted a lie to cover this action up.

I'm believing (a) all day because that's how college sports has worked forever. Coaches promise the moon to land someone and then weasel out of it.

Perhaps the Assistant thought he could get the collective to back up the truck, but clearly he made that promise without first securing the funds.

On one hand, a verbal promise from an assistant coach? ay yi yi.

On the other hand, you only received $3k and might not receive any more? Yeah, why stay.

Today's NIL adventure:

4cdade8e-935c-4dde-9d05-e2ad55e2af21_text.gif

Jfc. What a mess the ncaa created.

The Supreme Court made a ruling that was guaranteed to be a big turd of a policy All the NCAA chose to do was not polish it before making it official policy.

I do think that was a conscious decision - but it was partly driven by them continually ending up back in court. This time they decided not to implement some half measure that would just land them back in court again.

I think it was the right call; the only way for things to ever be legally sustainable was let everything turn into a dumpster full of tires engulfed in flames. Maybe this will allow some breathing room for some regulation, because everyone on the planet can see this ain’t working…

precisely. that's the very believable tale.

Good thought, but insurance companies, I assume, would never allow that.

Please stop calling the GT win a top 25 win. They've beaten nobody. It was all smoke and mirrors based on their FSU win which turned out to be dog poop. They just got smoked by the Cards. Rankings don't mean squat until week 5.
It was a close game. Breaks went Louisvilles way. GT may not be top 25 but still solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom