Upcoming concerts and musicians | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Upcoming concerts and musicians

I have no soul and no pulse.

I’m a musician, so I know what he’s doing takes immense talent, just not for me.

I'm not a musician but we agree. I have no knock against their talent but it took about 30 seconds of "pawk, pawk, pawk, pawk, pawk..." from the percussionist before a nerve started twitching in irritation.

If it’s talent you like...

Time signatures that make your head hurt.
Been playing guitar since prehistoric times. Years ago I enjoyed stuff like that. Prefer simplicity , now. Guessing you know Tool has 1 in Fibonacci time? Not for me, but I had to listen. 1,2,3,5,8,13,8,5,3,2,1

Been playing guitar since prehistoric times. Years ago I enjoyed stuff like that. Prefer simplicity , now. Guessing you know Tool has 1 in Fibonacci time? Not for me, but I had to listen. 1,2,3,5,8,13,8,5,3,2,1

Yeah, not a fan of tool either. I’ve been a percussionist since I’m seven, and mike portnoy will make you want to use your drumsticks as kindling.

If it’s talent you like...

Time signatures that make your head hurt.

Oh Dream Theater is great. I’m a musician as well and their meters/time signatures are super cool. The Too Many Zoos clip I posted is more because of the rawness of it. Organic, no mics, no reverb, organic, no click-track in their ears, no Pro Tools mix being pumped into the house, etc. Their jazz chops are unreal and their own style of this ‘brasshouse’ is unique. To each his own.

Oh Dream Theater is great. I’m a musician as well and their meters/time signatures are super cool. The Too Many Zoos clip I posted is more because of the rawness of it. Organic, no mics, no reverb, organic, no click-track in their ears, no Pro Tools mix being pumped into the house, etc. Their jazz chops are unreal and their own style of this ‘brasshouse’ is unique. To each his own.
Yepp. They managed to appeal to non musician, as well, by making sure to have simple hooks to draw them in. I find many musicians forget that(or they just can't do it, because IMO its way harder to write)

Hear you on Portnoy. I'm impressed with the math crowds coordination, and counting ability. Always leaves me flat... Most of the math drummers I've played with, couldn't play a Clyde Stubblefield beat to save their lives.. The funk based guys weren't half bad, at the math style.

I think guys that focus on technical, forget the soul part, too often. I still love Hendrix. Buddy played me g3 (Steve vai, Eric Johnson, satriani) playing a Hendrix tune... Worst Hendrix cover i have ever heard in my life. And yes, I mean the guitar.

Any more gems floating around?

Yepp. They managed to appeal to non musician, as well, by making sure to have simple hooks to draw them in. I find many musicians forget that(or they just can't do it, because IMO its way harder to write)

Hear you on Portnoy. I'm impressed with the math crowds coordination, and counting ability. Always leaves me flat... Most of the math drummers I've played with, couldn't play a Clyde Stubblefield beat to save their lives.. The funk based guys weren't half bad, at the math style.

I think guys that focus on technical, forget the soul part, too often. I still love Hendrix. Buddy played me g3 (Steve vai, Eric Johnson, satriani) playing a Hendrix tune... Worst Hendrix cover i have ever heard in my life. And yes, I mean the guitar.

Any more gems floating around?

Yup. Good stuff. Yeah, Portnoy is great. Can’t go wrong with Hendrix! Check out Kneebody. Went to college with these guys. We played some hoops occasionally to let off some steam. Sort of experimental/avant-garde jazz/jam band. Hard to label. And Lucky Chops stemmed from Too Many Zoos. Same sax player. I think these are gems, ha. I mean these guys are totally ripping and tearing up these phrases. And the dancing! Sick.

Last edited:
Cool. I prefer the original too many zooz.

Check this out for talent. Watch at least 45 sec. You'll wanna watch the whole thing.

Okay, back to the original topic please - good new acts to see live... under the radar stuff because we don't get stadium tours here, and Montreal can be a pain...

Galactic will be in Boston and Syracuse in Feb. I enjoy how they have so many guest vocalists.

Okay, back to the original topic please - good new acts to see live... under the radar stuff because we don't get stadium tours here, and Montreal can be a pain...

Precisely why I posted.

These guys are from NYC. Saw them out here about 2 years ago. Sat in about row 5, great show.

The weekend after that the wife and I are seeing Ray Lamontagne do an acoustic set here in Asheville.

Wanted to follow up on this. Having never seen Ray live before I wasn't sure how his voice was going to translate. Meaning was his voice really as good as it sounds on his albums or was it studio trickery?

I can safely say that he more than met my expectations. His voice was even better in person. He really is incredible. For the most part it was just him and John Stirratt (from Wilco) on stage playing and it was so simple and so very fantastic.

Wanted to follow up on this. Having never seen Ray live before I wasn't sure how his voice was going to translate. Meaning was his voice really as good as it sounds on his albums or was it studio trickery?

I can safely say that he more than met my expectations. His voice was even better in person. He really is incredible. For the most part it was just him and John Stirratt (from Wilco) on stage playing and it was so simple and so very fantastic.

Glad you enjoyed it. I saw him over the summer (or maybe it was last summer) and he didn't live up to expectations.

Wow. Really?

Yeah, it may have been the most boring concert I've ever been to, but he's not really my thing. My wife really likes him and she thought it was terrible as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom