Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015

I mean if we really wanted to go full moron here every football coach ever has been verbally abusive. But that’s kinda their job. Covering up beating a woman is not part of the game though. Covering up physically abusing a player isn’t either.
What a weird time we live in.

Last edited:
Sherm put it really well. I don’t see Urban getting fired. Is he a scum bag? Yes. Was he morally wrong? Yes. Is that enough to fire him? No.

Sherm put it really well. I don’t see Urban getting fired. Is he a scum bag? Yes. Was he morally wrong? Yes. Is that enough to fire him? No.

I think it will depend on how many sponsors they lose...they have already lost one.

I think it will depend on how many sponsors they lose...they have already lost one.

It isn’t like Meyer commuted the abuse. Meyer decided to not fire the guy three years ago, who was not charged by police. Meyer was under no obligation to fire the guy.

Meyer gives tOSU the best shot at winning a title. The school, boosters, fans all know this and will do everything possible to ride the storm. People will forget about this by the start of the B1G schedule.

I don't know what's going to happen here, but I do know that if there is a reinstatement it is gonna have to come with one heck of a story.

It isn’t like Meyer commuted the abuse. Meyer decided to not fire the guy three years ago, who was not charged by police. Meyer was under no obligation to fire the guy.

Meyer gives tOSU the best shot at winning a title. The school, boosters, fans all know this and will do everything possible to ride the storm. People will forget about this by the start of the B1G schedule.
They are going to face a significant Title IX lawsuit.
They are going to cut bait. Obviously they want to keep Meyer but the PR is going to be insane if they keep him.
He is done and all because he was loyal to Earl Bruce’s grandson.

Yet another example of why people need to stop with all the tired “leader of men” “building values” bullish!t. College football coaches are all tainted to some degree. Some may be better than others, but we’re grading on a curve. Nature of the beast. And it is a beast. Wins matter. Nothing else.

Alternative take: maybe we should hold them to a higher standard in spite of their coaching ability. You know, say x is more important than a dumb game.

They are going to face a significant Title IX lawsuit.
They are going to cut bait. Obviously they want to keep Meyer but the PR is going to be insane if they keep him.
He is done and all because he was loyal to Earl Bruce’s grandson.

How does Title IX apply here? Fake news

Check out the tweet Bees put up in post #32. That explains a little of it.

The Title IX aspect has been referenced by a lot of the talking Heads the past 2 days.

Check out the tweet Bees put up in post #32. That explains a little of it.

The Title IX aspect has been referenced by a lot of the talking Heads the past 2 days.

That’s just internet group think that has taken off as fact.

“It's not clear that what Courtney Smith is alleging would amount to a Title IX violation. A judge in Colorado dismissed a lawsuit about a similar case earlier this year. In that instance, the judge said University of Colorado officials were not legally obligated to act when they learned about a domestic abuse situation between an assistant football coach and his significant other. Courtney Smith is not an Ohio State employee, and the alleged incidents did not occur on campus.”

Ohio St. places Meyer on administrative leave

Damn Trump for making fake news main stream.
This isn’t fake news.
Ohio State is a public university which receives federal funding.
Thus they are bound by federal laws for those funds.
Title IX requires all university employees to report any allegations regarding sexual misconduct.
Domestic violence is sexual misconduct crime.
Ergo Urban Meyer and his wife both were state employees and bound to file the allegations with the Ohio State IX office.
The victim is going to sue.

Damn Trump for making fake news main stream.
This isn’t fake news.
Ohio State is a public university which receives federal funding.
Thus they are bound by federal laws for those funds.
Title IX requires all university employees to report any allegations regarding s e xual misconduct.
Domestic violence is s e xual misconduct crime.
Ergo Urban Meyer and his wife both were state employees and bound to file the allegations with the Ohio State IX office.
The victim is going to sue.

1. Title IX applies to on campus
2. The police investigated. Was Meyer supposed to go to the FBI since the police did nothing?

1. Title IX applies to on campus
2. The police investigated. Was Meyer supposed to go to the FBI since the police did nothing?
Title IX sexual misconduct policy applies to any student or staff employee who works for the university.
It requires all students/employees to report allegations of domestic violence or sexual crime in nature if they attend or work for the University to the IX office.
Urban Meyer didn’t report the allegations to the university.
Therefore the victim has her path to sue and Meyer can be fired for cause and get nothing from Ohio State.
This why he will negotiate a settlement and go away so he gets a golden parachute and doesn’t force Ohio State to make it ugly.

Title IX s e xual misconduct policy applies to any student or staff employee who works for the university.
It requires all students/employees to report allegations of domestic violence or s e xual crime in nature if they attend or work for the University to the IX office.
Urban Meyer didn’t report the allegations to the university.
Therefore the victim has her path to sue and Meyer can be fired for cause and get nothing from Ohio State.
This why he will negotiate a settlement and go away so he gets a golden parachute and doesn’t force Ohio State to make it ugly.

That is a huge stretch of the policy and would go against the prior court ruling.

That is a huge stretch of the policy and would go against the prior court ruling.
The prior court ruling was likely because nobody testified to veracity of the allegations.
I would have to look at the case.
Shelley Meyer in the text messages to the victim admitted that she told Urban about the situation and he asked Zach Smith about it and he denied.
Right there he should have compiled with Title IX and he is clean.

Also, Shelley knows if this woman was beaten. The pictures are bad according to McMurphy,

Urban Meyer could get fired under Title IX violations save Ohio State 37 million in his contract and then open themselves to a smaller lawsuit from Smith’s ex wife.

The prior court ruling was likely because nobody testified to veracity of the allegations.
I would have to look at the case.
Shelley Meyer in the text messages to the victim admitted that she told Urban about the situation and he asked Zach Smith about it and he denied.
Shelley knows if this woman was beaten.

Urban Meyer could get fired under Title IX violations save Ohio State 37 million and then open themselves to a smaller lawsuit from Smith’s ex wife.

The Colorado case isn’t much different. Maybe Mrs. Meyer could lose her job since she allegedly saw the photos.

Here is the “punishment” their HC received:

“and football coach Mike MacIntyre must donate $100,000 each to benefit domestic violence awareness for their “failures” in responding to allegations against a former assistant coach”

CU suspends chancellor; AD, football coach ordered to make donations after handling of Joe Tumpkin case

The Colorado case isn’t much different. Maybe Mrs. Meyer could lose her job since she allegedly saw the photos.

Here is the “punishment” their HC received:

“and football coach Mike MacIntyre must donate $100,000 each to benefit domestic violence awareness for their “failures” in responding to allegations against a former assistant coach”

CU suspends chancellor; AD, football coach ordered to make donations after handling of Joe Tumpkin case

I still think this is different because Urban stood up there on media day and denied having any knowledge. Maybe his wife will back him on that (she has about 7.6M reasons per year to do so), but no one is going to buy it.

If he keeps his job it's because Ohio State sits on this and relies on the attention span of America. We'll be onto our next scandal in no time. He'd be back by the Penn State game when they've "concluded their internal investigation and found no wrongdoing". He'd be running things from behind the scenes, like a baseball manager in the tunnel after being ejected.

I still think this is different because Urban stood up there on media day and denied having any knowledge. Maybe his wife will back him on that (she has about 7.6M reasons per year to do so), but no one is going to buy it.

If he keeps his job it's because Ohio State sits on this and relies on the attention span of America. We'll be onto our next scandal in no time. He'd be back by the Penn State game when they've "concluded their internal investigation and found no wrongdoing". He'd be running things from behind the scenes, like a baseball manager in the tunnel after being ejected.

I agree with your second paragraph. I don’t think your first paragraph is a big deal. He didn’t lie to the police. He didn’t lie to the university. He lied to the media whom he has no obligation to tell the truth to or to air dirty laundry. On top of that there is no hard evidence he lied, even though we all know he did.

I dislike tOSU and think Meyer is trash. I would be happy to see him go. But I also know that college sports is a cesspool. So I don’t see him getting fired. Suspended, fined, training, then back in time for the PSU game.

I agree with your second paragraph. I don’t think your first paragraph is a big deal. He didn’t lie to the police. He didn’t lie to the university. He lied to the media whom he has no obligation to tell the truth to or to air dirty laundry. On top of that there is no hard evidence he lied, even though we all know he did.

I dislike tOSU and think Meyer is trash. I would be happy to see him go. But I also know that college sports is a cesspool. So I don’t see him getting fired. Suspended, fined, training, then back in time for the PSU game.

Probably all correct but it’s not the best topic to lie to anyone about publicly in 2018.

His wife has exposure here too since she is also a Univ. employee and didn't report the abuse.

Tricky thing is, his wife is an RN and teaches at the university. RNs cant report domestic abuse bc studies show it puts the girl at greater risk going home to the abuser. Question is, do you judge his wife as a personal friend of this woman or as an RN. ?

Alternative take: maybe we should hold them to a higher standard in spite of their coaching ability. You know, say x is more important than a dumb game.

Oh I totally agree. But sadly that’s not the way of the world.

All in all i thInk UM is arrogant and a jerk and had recruited amd coached some of the worse character kids and did nothing to discipline. That said, this is a very tricky situation where i see both sides.

Yes, these coaches are all control freaks and know most about their coaches and players. Is it his job to get in the middle of a marital problem? This wr coach waa very expendable and thus he wasnt tryingto kerp him around to win. Urbans and other coaches wives knew and she never alerted the authorities. The type of thing women meet and may discuss at Panera or Starbucks. So, if urban did know it seems as though him and his wife tried to help the young couple out in the early phases.

In terms of title 9 and the language in his contract to gp and run to his superiors, dp we really think these guys read the 50, 100 page contracts? Would you butt in and get in the middle if you knew a co-worker had a similar situation? With her not pressing charges and non of her friends and other coaches wives also staying hush...does it all come down on UM? i dont likethe guy but i question his ultimate responsibility. These guys are fb coaches with tons of responsibility. Him " protecting " this easily replaceable wr coach didn't increase hos chance to win or make the team better.

In the end, losing his gig will be a huge price to pay .