USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

How this plays out over the next 6-18 months will be REAL interesting, and potentially not in a good way for SU financially. If Wildhack hasn't already been in contact with the B1G, or even SEC, then we are probably in some trouble. ESPN did not care about UCONN so don't expect them to care about SU just because Wildhack has some connections there.

As bad as being left out of the 2 super conferences would be, there is a part of me that really wouldn't mind being in a lesser regional football conference at the expense of not being a "championship" contender for the playoffs. Ideally we get a life raft to the B1G or SEC, but I'll still cheer for Syracuse regardless (my interest elsewhere in CFB would wane though). I'd like to think the biggest football program in NY has value but who knows at this point.

There is also a legitimate possibility the NCAA goes down in flames where all of this shuffling becomes moot. I don't see it as a positive for the sport as a whole though. Riches for the haves and pennies for the have nots.

How this plays out over the next 6-18 months will be REAL interesting, and potentially not in a good way for SU financially. If Wildhack hasn't already been in contact with the B1G, or even SEC, then we are probably in some trouble. ESPN did not care about UCONN so don't expect them to care about SU just because Wildhack has some connections there.

As bad as being left out of the 2 super conferences would be, there is a part of me that really wouldn't mind being in a lesser regional football conference at the expense of not being a "championship" contender for the playoffs. Ideally we get a life raft to the B1G or SEC, but I'll still cheer for Syracuse regardless (my interest elsewhere in CFB would wane though). I'd like to think the biggest football program in NY has value but who knows at this point.

There is also a legitimate possibility the NCAA goes down in flames where all of this shuffling becomes moot. I don't see it as a positive for the sport as a whole though. Riches for the haves and pennies for the have nots.
If there is going to be a new 'division' of some type for the 'big' programs, then Syracuse basketball will be even more important. Football is indeed much bigger, but Syracuse has the biggest basketball fan base in the entire northeast.

Throw it in with the collapse of our democracy and the impending SC destruction of free and fair elections and this country right now is just so depressing. Our dysfunctional political system has become solely about the execution of raw power over all else, and college sports are following right along.
Oh so true.

Speaking on the basketball side if the 2 mega-conference happens and they pull out of NCAA what happens to that tournament? I guess March Madness wouldn't be real anymore. There would be a Mega-Conference Championship and then the Other Champion? March Madness tournament wouldn't be around anymore that would be tragic.

On the bright side, now the P12 can invite Simon Fraser up from D2 to capture the Vancouver market.

Speaking on the basketball side if the 2 mega-conference happens and they pull out of NCAA what happens to that tournament? I guess March Madness wouldn't be real anymore. There would be a Mega-Conference Championship and then the Other Champion? March Madness tournament wouldn't be around anymore that would be tragic.

Do we get Charles Barkley, or Mini-Barkley?

I think right now the only thing happening is the pac 12 is getting disolved. The sec always work on there own schedule, they don't follow others

I think eons ago the winners of the NCAA and NIT tournaments played each other. Not positive.

I think right now the only thing happening is the pac 12 is getting disolved. The sec always work on there own schedule, they don't follow others

Could see Pac12 and Big12 combine.

After the earthquake, the Pac12 will simply add Otisburg University, and SAMCRO State.

I hope these super conferences ultimately end up killing college sports. The media and administrators deserve it. Let it be a rump sport popular in the midwest and south.
It won't. They are gonna break away from the NCAA and get a TV deal on par with the NFL. They will be rolling in money.

I wouldn't call it "college sports" because its not. It is semi-pro sports played by college universities. They will have their own football playoff and their own March Madness.

And everyone left behind (which will include us in Syracuse) we will have our sports world with WF, BC, Kansas, K-State, and whoever else is left behind, and honestly, it's probably for the best for all parties.

Those schools left behind will get a TV deal with like CBS and CBS Sports (or something along those lines) and be more regional outside of whatever new basketball tournament that group puts together. And it will be equals (the Big10 and SEC) competing against equals. And on the SU level. equals (with the schools not in the Big 10 and SEC) competing with equals.

I already accepted the fact that Clemson , FSU and couple others will be leaving soon. Would not shock me at all if announcement happens fairly soon. I have no inside info but you know it’s coming .

Is there room for a third league with some ACC, some big 12, ND, Cinci, Houston, UCF?

it’s all terrible for college sports.