USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Thank you. Just got a great laugh from this piece of sarcasm...or is it:

The opposite is more likely, that the SEC and B1G would leave the NCAA at least for football.

{snip}

I don't think Michigan/OSU have lost a single game to Maryland or Rutgers in football since they started to play them annually.
Maryland beat Michigan in 2014 and has lost every time since.

Here is how we can survive and be in a decent place:

Big 10 and SEC each add 4 teams and stop there:

Big 10: ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford
SEC: Clemson, FSU, Miami, NC

There just aren’t that many valuable programs for them to keep splitting the pie that much more.

That leaves 29 teams(including the new Big 12 teams). Add San Diego State to have a Southern California presence( and to make Commissioner DJ Orange cry a bit less as he pays off his daughter’s college degree for the next 8-10 years) and you form a new 30 team conference split into two 15 team divisions:

A 15 team division with the 10 remaining ACC teams plus UCF, Cincy, Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Iowa State

A 15 team division with the 7 remaining PAC 12 teams plus BYU, SDSU, Baylor, Houston TCU, KU, KSU, Texas Tech

The Big 10 and SEC could create their own football playoff but if they do that, they will probably toss away the big cash that March Madness brings. So, they throw a bone to the new 30 team conference and offer them access to a 12 team playoff, an automatic bid and then a chance at any at large bids even though strength of schedule will kill that. Yes they have to share some playoff money but not enough to hurt because they still get a phat March Madness cut.

The garbage ACC deal we are stuck with for 14 more years is gone. The 30 team league is still attractive and linear networks, their affiliated streaming services and other streaming services will compete and pay a ton of cash for rights because with the exception of the NFL, there is no content more valuable than live college football to advertisers and subscribers, therefore also to the providers. Less valuable than the Big 10 and SEC for sure, but those two leagues were going to blow us away with their new deals while we are stuck with the current one forever

Now don’t you all feel better?

Editors note: if the two Big Boys expand to 30 each, then we are screwed and will basically be MAC level.

Here is how we can survive and be in a decent place:

Big 10 and SEC each add 4 teams and stop there:

Big 10: ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford
SEC: Clemson, FSU, Miami, NC

There just aren’t that many valuable programs for them to keep splitting the pie that much more.

That leaves 29 teams(including the new Big 12 teams). Add San Diego State to have a Southern California presence( and to make Commissioner DJ Orange cry a bit less as he pays off his daughter’s college degree for the next 8-10 years) and you form a new 30 team conference split into two 15 team divisions:

A 15 team division with the 10 remaining ACC teams plus UCF, Cincy, Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Iowa State

A 15 team division with the 7 remaining PAC 12 teams plus BYU, SDSU, Baylor, Houston TCU, KU, KSU, Texas Tech

The Big 10 and SEC could create their own football playoff but if they do that, they will probably toss away the big cash that March Madness brings. So, they throw a bone to the new 30 team conference and offer them access to a 12 team playoff, an automatic bid and then a chance at any at large bids even though strength of schedule will kill that. Yes they have to share some playoff money but not enough to hurt because they still get a phat March Madness cut.

The garbage ACC deal we are stuck with for 14 more years is gone. The 30 team league is still attractive and linear networks, their affiliated streaming services and other streaming services will compete and pay a ton of cash for rights because with the exception of the NFL, there is no content more valuable than live college football to advertisers and subscribers, therefore also to the providers. Less valuable than the Big 10 and SEC for sure, but those two leagues were going to blow us away with their new deals while we are stuck with the current one forever

Now don’t you all feel better?

Editors note: if the two Big Boys expand to 30 each, then we are screwed and will basically be MAC level.
if they expand to 30 each we will be in 1 of the leagues as we safely in the top 60 most valuable schools

Public school pulls along private school (many of whose alums are from out of state)? More likely UNC would try to drag along NCSU
If they drag along NCSU, it won't be by choice. NC politicians will have to hold a cannon to UNC's head to make them take NCSU along with them.

The opposite is more likely, that the SEC and B1G would leave the NCAA at least for football.

And shame on any conference or team that agrees to play the SEC or B10 in any other sport or the NCAA allows them to participate in any NCAA post season tournaments. None of this partial BS like we foolishly did with ND.

if they expand to 30 each we will be in 1 of the leagues as we safely in the top 60 most valuable schools
Maybe? I hope but not totally sure about that. We have no cache in football, our cache in basketball is dropping like a stone. The Big 10 already has a presence in the NY area with Rutgers and the SEC won’t want us. I don’t know…

And shame on any conference or team that agrees to play the SEC or B10 in any other sport or the NCAA allows them to participate in any NCAA post season tournaments. None of this partial BS like we foolishly did with ND.
The SEC is really only interested in football, basketball, and baseball/softball. I can easily see them as trying to have those three sports in their new association and leaving the rest in the NCAA. They will try to claim the players as employees in order to improve their Title IX numbers and the players in those sports won't be required to attend class. USC-w, OthatSU, and Meeshigan would readily go along with those concepts; the rest of the B1G schools are a big question mark. NWern is an obvious no, Purdue and Illinois, as big STEM schools, are very likely noes as well. It be interesting to see how Wisconsin and Iowa would react to "join or be left behind". I would have no problem in boycotting any regular season game in any sport against any school joining the SEC's end-game construct.

Most college football is mediocre, that’s why they’re college and not pro players. The networks pay because there are eye balls and fans watching these games. If they didn’t, there wouldn’t be an arms race to get the MOST money, it’d be trying to get ANY money.

D1 college sports has value at all levels of football, that’s why the schools have programs. You think ESPN wrote the check to the ACC because they wanted to make the ACC feel good? No, it’s because the collective alumni bases look past the amateur level Football on the field to support something they feel they have a personal connection to. The college football product for 80% of schools is about the alumni support not ransoms fans, and time and time again it proves to be a profitable venture to televise those games.
By mediocre content I meant teams that don't deliver significant viewer ratings.

Maybe? I hope but not totally sure about that. We have no cache in football, our cache in basketball is dropping like a stone. The Big 10 already has a presence in the NY area with Rutgers and the SEC won’t want us. I don’t know…

If it’s only about wins and loses then the b10 and sec will need to jettison some teams.

The SEC is really only interested in football, basketball, and baseball/softball. I can easily see them as trying to have those three sports in their new association and leaving the rest in the NCAA. They will try to claim the players as employees in order to improve their Title IX numbers and the players in those sports won't be required to attend class. USC-w, OthatSU, and Meeshigan would readily go along with those concepts; the rest of the B1G schools are a big question mark. NWern is an obvious no, Purdue and Illinois, as big STEM schools, are very likely noes as well. It be interesting to see how Wisconsin and Iowa would react to "join or be left behind". I would have no problem in boycotting any regular season game in any sport against any school joining the SEC's end-game construct.

“leave the rest in the NCAA” That’s where the NCAA and its members need to tell the SEC and B10 it’s all or nothing and by our rules.

The big two conferences aren't going to expand unless a school can bring 100 million a year in value (or more). There are only a few moves left for the SEC and B10 to make. None of them involve the northeast.

Agree. ND also heralded their football “independence” like it was a moral prerogative unique to their existence. As TerryD now admits it was always dependent on money, a business decision, not a commitment to independence preventing them from fully joining a conference. As people have said for decades, it was a selfish exploitation of the conferences who gave their other sports a safe landing place. At least the ACC got a few football games out of it. Joining the Big10 will prove that the contracts signed were just empty promises to ever join the ACC or Big East conferences. If and when this goes through, all it does is prove the critics were correct all along.

The Kelly era scheduling had that team way more relevant than it should have been. Blame the ACC for never beating them. The losses will pile up playing the rust belt schools each week though.

I'm not sure they jump having your own major network for home games and complete scheduling control is a pretty good situation. But it makes sense to look for an invite even if its just to decline it. Sometimes you have to interview for jobs that you don't want.

If it’s only about wins and loses then the b10 and sec will need to jettison some teams.
That’s a lot harder than adding teams so they may be stuck with Rutgers, Vandy. I think it’s about football wins and losses as well as potential to be a good program. We are at the bottom of both lists. And if brand matters, the two programs clearly worse on the field than us(Kansas and Duke) are bigger brands overall

A one year blip. The ACC will be very very good in fball this year.
Right. All ACC teams seemed to be in rebuild mode last year. Probably an anomaly magnified by a step back by Clemson. Must ACC teams started slow and got better as the year went on. I think people exaggerate this stuff.

I agree with you its likely Bigten or Bust for us of the 2 leagues as we are going to align with the group that tries to care about student athletes vs the semi pro sec who will likely stick to its footprint unless they add the zona schools. Its likely years down the road before either league goes past 18 to 20 each if the GOR is to be trusted for the ACC so this why now its key to get back to winning football games and basketball and lacrosse etc and continuing to improve our facilities. 32 teams each would mean that after ND there is still 31 spots up for grabs

By mediocre content I meant teams that don't deliver significant viewer ratings.
But I don’t think there are many of those in the power 5, even the group of 5 likely break even for their limited appeal.

Right. All ACC teams seemed to be in rebuild mode last year. Probably an anomaly magnified by a step back by Clemson. Must ACC teams started slow and got better as the year went on. I think people exaggerate this stuff.

At least 6 ACC QBs are expected to be drafted. It starts at QB. I think we play all 6.

At least 6 ACC QBs are expected to be drafted. It starts at QB. I think we play all 6.
Van Dyke is one of the 6 so at least we avoid him. But Cunningham, Slovis, Leary, Jurkovich, Howell, Armstrong plus O’Connell at Purdue is insane. Good thing we look very very deep in the secondary, but gotta get pressure from our DLine too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom