USMNT 2024 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

We have 2 guys that see the field and make the passes. The problem is they have no one to really pass it to most of the time. How often to we link 3-4 passes and not screw one up.

A U23 team is playing in the Olympics next month. First game is against host France. Then you can see the gap between our nation and the number one best developers right now globally.

That kid Cade Cowell looks talented. He's playing club ball in Mexico right now.
Maybe he'll play left wing and move Pulisic more in front of goal. Pulisic seems very effective attacking far post crosses and scoring in the box.

Last edited:
This says a lot IMO

1720143423114.jpeg

That kid Cade Cowell looks talented. He's playing club ball in Mexico right now.
Maybe he'll play left wing and move Pulisic more in front of goal. Pulisic seems very effective attacking far post crosses and scoring in the box.
He's ok. Not his biggest fan. I want to see Tanner Tessmann who reportedly is being signed by Inter.

This says a lot IMO

View attachment 242665

Yeah, I read McKennie's stats from the Uruguay game. His defensive stats were abysmal. Zero successful challenges, and 10-20% scores in headers won and take-ons.

Adams was active but rusty. Part of the problem is that these guys know the starters are locked in, just like with England. You need to have more uncertainty among your team, and more competition for places. Yunus Musah should be used more in order to get the best effort from the others.

Reyna seemed on auto-pilot. Part of that may be because he hasn't played much at club level and has been hurt so many times. Pulisic, Jedi and Balogun were our 3 best players (only good players, honestly).

wonder what the aggression numbers were if you take out the whole game played a man down vs panama?

Yeah, I read McKennie's stats from the Uruguay game. His defensive stats were abysmal. Zero successful challenges, and 10-20% scores in headers won and take-ons.

Adams was active but rusty. Part of the problem is that these guys know the starters are locked in, just like with England. You need to have more uncertainty among your team, and more competition for places. Yunus Musah should be used more in order to get the best effort from the others.

Reyna seemed on auto-pilot. Part of that may be because he hasn't played much at club level and has been hurt so many times. Pulisic, Jedi and Balogun were our 3 best players (only good players, honestly).
I know Johnny Cardoso hasn't looked so bright but from a club perspective he's now a starter for Real Betis. If he continues his club form then I think he needs a proper runout. All the biggest countries cycle even the best guys in and out. To me Pulisic and Jedi are the only guys who have a safe spot.

Could be, I have no idea. Is there really not enough money to get a reasonably good coach? For instance, do we really pay less than Uruguay or Colombia?

EDIT: According to 2022 data our coach is #13 in the world in annual pay. So that ain’t it:

I thought possibly the organizing body for US soccer might be challenging to work with as well but I’m speculating baselessly. Just can’t fathom why we have the coach we do.
In case nobody else brought this up, this graphic was shown on one of the pre-game shows I think. So Berhalter is 9th just among the Copa America teams; I highly doubt he's anywhere near #13 in the world in 2024.

Edit: Not saying I endorse the message but it was the first tweet I found with the graphic. I know others have mentioned Jesse Marsch is above Berhalter in pay now too.

Last edited:
Bleacher Report is reporting that there will be a decision on Berhalter next week. The clarity and promptness of that makes me feel like he's going to be replaced.

Of course I thought the same thing about Biden after his debate.

Bleacher Report is reporting that there will be a decision on Berhalter next week. The clarity and promptness of that makes me feel like he's going to be replaced.

Of course I thought the same thing about Biden after his debate.
Agreed. Not trying to get my hopes up but it feels like that's where this is headed.

In case nobody else brought this up, this graphic was shown on one of the pre-game shows I think. So Berhalter is 9th just among the Copa America teams; I highly doubt he's anywhere near #13 in the world in 2024.

Edit: Not saying I endorse the message but it was the first tweet I found with the graphic. I know others have mentioned Jesse Marsch is above Berhalter in pay now too.
interesting how little these coaches make for the sport around the world.

We should have a coaching decision by midweek.

There have been some strong rumors that Steve Cherundolo is one of the favorites if Berhalter is canned. He would be an improvement in my opinion, but by how much? We need to go outside the MLS for this hire and pay up…

I’m anxious to see these younger players compete in the Olympics to see what we have in the pipeline…

We should have a coaching decision by midweek.

There have been some strong rumors that Steve Cherundolo is one of the favorites if Berhalter is canned. He would be an improvement in my opinion, but by how much? We need to go outside the MLS for this hire and pay up…

I think the inmates are running (or should I say ruining) things. They are choosing the manager and the players on the squad. I think that is why we are seeing Cherundolo's name floated. He is a compromise. They players still get to run things and the fans cool off a bit.

The team really needs an outside influence but I would be shocked if it happened. I think we are stuck with this group getting their way another two World Cups unfortunately. I don't think we can take the next step as a team unless things are blown up, or until this group is gone.

Olympic team has been named…
Syracuse played against Duncan McGuire and Creighton in the Final Four a couple years ago, when SU was on their way towards winning the NC. He is very good.

Good to see a Syracuse man on the team. Hope Miles plays well in the Olympics and gets back his starting position on the USMNT. He deserves it.

Being a keen US Soccer observer, the team is ok. I'm a bit underwhelmed and wish some different players got called but I know clubs are not obligated to release players.

USA-France is Game One. I hope it's not worse than 3-0.

I have seen it mentioned a bit lately where being in CONCACAF hurts, especially given the Nations League. I am surprised to see so many have backlash towards that premise.

World Cup Quarterfinal appearances over the last 9 by confederation:

47- UEFA
18- CONMEBOL
4- CAF
2- CONCACAF (Costa Rica, USA)
1- AFC
0- OFC

So since host Mexico made the QFs in 1986, only one other country besides the US has made it from CONCACAF. And no other CONCACAF team has made the Semis. Only the US has at the very first WC.

I have seen it mentioned a bit lately where being in CONCACAF hurts, especially given the Nations League. I am surprised to see so many have backlash towards that premise.

World Cup Quarterfinal appearances over the last 9 by confederation:

47- UEFA
18- CONMEBOL
4- CAF
2- CONCACAF (Costa Rica, USA)
1- AFC
0- OFC

So since host Mexico made the QFs in 1986, only one other country besides the US has made it from CONCACAF. And no other CONCACAF team has made the Semis. Only the US has at the very first WC.
It also says a lot about the USA when they couldn't qualify in 2018 and finished 3rd in 2022 Qualifying. To me it does have some truth but I think it's an excuse to explain away the poor form of the national team.

It also says a lot about the USA when they couldn't qualify in 2018 and finished 3rd in 2022 Qualifying. To me it does have some truth but I think it's an excuse to explain away the poor form of the national team.

We stink. How bad we are gets masked by being in CONCACAF. But I think that is how US Soccer wants it. If we appear better than we are they can make more money. I don’t think they have any interest in actually becoming good at soccer. Not surprising given US soccer is run by marketing people and not soccer people.

We stink. How bad we are gets masked by being in CONCACAF. But I think that is how US Soccer wants it. If we appear better than we are they can make more money. I don’t think they have any interest in actually becoming good at soccer. Not surprising given US soccer is run by marketing people and not soccer people.
The Federation is run mostly by the owners of MLS teams. So for them the goal is to make money for themselves and MLS. Overall US Soccer improvement and development is not the top tier priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom