USMNT 2024 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

Pulisic’s legacy has really suffered. Failing to qualify in ‘18, the flameout this year. Quite the disappointing resume for someone who will be 27 next WC.

I saw BJ was named head coach of Nashville FC. If your head assistant is leaving, I’d say there is a good chance of change from the top.

Then I just saw this from the Outlaws…

I saw BJ was named head coach of Nashville FC. If your head assistant is leaving, I’d say there is a good chance of change from the top.

Yeah he’s toast.

A lot of people thought he had the team playing better than Berhalter when he was suspended. No surprise he left after being passed over.

My two cents: The USA under Berhalter just doesn't play good enough defense, especially in transition. That has been our consistent weakness.

On top of that, our midfield, which was so good in 2022, has regressed a bit. Part of it is Adams coming off an injury, McKennie not playing up to his potential consistently, and Berhalter not giving enough time to Musah.

It's also a mistake to play Reyna so deep. He's not Pirlo. He's better at one-two's and slip passes closer to the goal. Play him more forward.

We need to bring in someone who is more tactically sophisticated than you what you find in MLS. The guy who embarrassed us the Round of 16 at the 2022 World Cup - Louis Van Gaal - comes to mind. I remember his pre-game interview about the US: "Yes, they have a very good young midfield." So what did he do? He told us afterwards - "We decided to bypass the midfield, play the ball diagonally into the channels to get one-on-one's versus their defense." They beat us on the counter. The Netherlands played to beat the US on the counter? Yes, they did, and it worked.

OK, so who should we look to? Beyond Van Gaal, Rafa Benitez is a very good defensive coach, and has achieved a lot at the club level, although his heyday was 10-15 years ago. People say Benitez is too conservative offensively, but he coached Liverpool with Fernando Torres to a European championship.

Max Allegri is available, and is an incredible coach. Great defense, less intense than Antonio Conte, who he succeeded at Juventus, and won another handful of Italian championships. He would be a great choice, IMO.

Mauricio Pochettino is someone known for working well to develop young talent, and of course is available. His style could build on the foundation that Berhalter has installed, and he has good enough English to communicate what he wants to the players. His man management is second to none.

How about Jurgi Low, former German national team coach? He was the tactical brains behind Jurgen Klinsmann, and did very well for Germany for a number of years with their national team. He would be a great choice.

Thomas Tuchel is probably one of the best tactical coaches out there, but is a bit difficult. He remains unemployed, though, and would be a world class choice.

Any thoughts? Berhalter has to go, if this country has any real ambition in this sport.

You get to host a World Cup maybe once every generation or two. We can't simply squander this unique opportunity like we just did with the Copa America.

Last edited:
Pulisic’s legacy has really suffered. Failing to qualify in ‘18, the flameout this year. Quite the disappointing resume for someone who will be 27 next WC.

Pulisic is the best player America has ever produced, and he's still only 25 years old. He has another 7 years, probably, at the top level. He'll have chances to win more trophies, and remember, he has already won a Champions League.

My two cents: The USA under Berhalter just doesn't play good enough defense, especially in transition. That has been our consistent weakness.

On top of that, our midfield, which was so good in 2022, has regressed a bit. Part of it is Adams coming off an injury, McKennie not playing up to his potential consistently, and Berhalter not giving enough time to Musah.

It's also a mistake to play Reyna so deep. He's not Pirlo. He's better at one-two's and slip passes closer to the goal. Play him more forward.

We need to bring in someone who is more tactically sophisticated than you what you find in MLS. The guy who embarrassed us the Round of 16 at the 2022 World Cup - Louis Van Gaal - comes to mind. I remember his pre-game interview about the US: "Yes, they have a very good young midfield." So what did he do? He told us afterwards - "We decided to bypass the midfield, play the ball diagonally into the channels to get one-on-one's versus their defense." They beat us on the counter. The Netherlands played to beat the US on the counter? Yes, they did, and it worked.

OK, so who should we look to? Beyond Van Gaal, Rafa Benitez is a very good defensive coach, and has achieved a lot at the club level, although his heyday was 10-15 years ago. People say Benitez is too conservative offensively, but he coached Liverpool with Fernando Torres to a European championship.

Max Allegri is available, and is an incredible coach. Great defense, less intense than Antonio Conte, who he succeeded at Juventus, and won another handful of Italian championships. He would be a great choice, IMO.

Mauricio Pochettino is someone known for working well to develop young talent, and of course is available. His style could build on the foundation that Berhalter has installed, and he has good enough English to communicate what he wants to the players. His man management is second to none.

How about Jurgi Low, former German national team coach? He was the tactical brains behind Jurgen Klinsmann, and did very well for Germany for a number of years with their national team. He would be a great choice.

Thomas Tuchel is probably one of the best tactical coaches out there, but is a bit difficult. He remains unemployed, though, and would be a world class choice.

Any thoughts? Berhalter has to go, if this country has any real ambition in this sport.

You get to host a World Cup maybe once every generation or two. We can't simply squander this unique opportunity like we just did with the Copa America.
Agree about Berhalter but it wasn’t that long ago that there was a coaching search and he was the top candidate … who was willing to coach the US. I’ve wondered if there isn’t something about our head coach position that is not desirable.

Our team played a lackluster game yesterday. Aimless at times. Disheartening to see when we have some talent

Don't get the red card, we dont lose to Panama and who knows where the team ends up.

Soccer the sport where dumb rules go to get tried out. its what hockey would be if they had 10 guys on each team. Even Lax figured out you cant score if you let everyone play D.

We have the biggest field so lets use the least amount of refs to control the game.

Agree about Berhalter but it wasn’t that long ago that there was a coaching search and he was the top candidate … who was willing to coach the US. I’ve wondered if there isn’t something about our head coach position that is not desirable.

Our team played a lackluster game yesterday. Aimless at times. Disheartening to see when we have some talent
Could be as simple as the lack of pay for a relatively high profile job?

Berhalter is just honestly a bad manager. His brother was an executive and he got hired. They compounded it by bringing him back. Three world cup group stage and three copa group stage games. 5 goals total. 5 goals in 6 vs Wales, Iran, England, Uruguay, Panama, Bolivia. That's absolutely horrendous.

Could be as simple as the lack of pay for a relatively high profile job?
Could be, I have no idea. Is there really not enough money to get a reasonably good coach? For instance, do we really pay less than Uruguay or Colombia?

EDIT: According to 2022 data our coach is #13 in the world in annual pay. So that ain’t it:

I thought possibly the organizing body for US soccer might be challenging to work with as well but I’m speculating baselessly. Just can’t fathom why we have the coach we do.

Could be, I have no idea. Is there really not enough money to get a reasonably good coach? For instance, do we really pay less than Uruguay or Colombia?

EDIT: According to 2022 data our coach is #13 in the world in annual pay. So that ain’t it:

I thought possibly the organizing body for US soccer might be challenging to work with as well but I’m speculating baselessly. Just can’t fathom why we have the coach we do.
On the post-match broadcast the other night, I'm pretty sure they said Berhalter made 2 million something as they were throwing around names like Klopp who would command big money. They kept talking about the US soccer budget. Not what I wanted to hear. The money is there. Pay for a legit coach. The time is now.

Canada scored 1 goal in the qualifying and got in.. The issue of goals isnt really a thing. Watch the euros. Italy/england cant score goals either.

We make mistakes on D, but the reality is again without the Red card we probably allow 1 goal in this thing even with the mistakes on D. Pepe not being able to score hurt us even in the last game.

On the post-match broadcast the other night, I'm pretty sure they said Berhalter made 2 million something as they were throwing around names like Klopp who would command big money. They kept talking about the US soccer budget. Not what I wanted to hear. The money is there. Pay for a legit coach. The time is now.
so USA soccer cant find money but college teams can pay 10 million for a coach in FB? You mean there isn't one wealthy soccer type booster in a land of 350 million to help fund coaching?

I still think if we ever want to take the next step we need to join UEFA. If Australia can be in Asia, we can be in Europe.

If we are forced to play a gauntlet to qualify for the Euros and World Cup, it will force accountability. Plus the Nations League would also make us stronger. Can't have that in CONCACAF where half the time we win matches 4-0.

Also having the MLS champ with access to the Champions League, Support's Shield winner with access to Europa, and the Lamar Hunt winner with access to the Conference it will do a lot to promote soccer in the US. Travel would suck but it is only 3 group stage matches. And CONCACAF Champions is already rough travel anyway.

Can you imagine the hype of having Real Madrid playing at a sold out Horseshoe? Or playing Messi at Hard Rock?

If they don't get a quality coach and pay him well, then they should sack all the leadership of the federation, because they aren't serious about winning.

I still can't believe Berhalter wasn't fired after the World Cup for his on field performance. We didn't look good in the group stage, but we did move on. Good thing it was a weak group since we could only muster 2 goals. Then the Netherlands toyed with us. That was an embarrassment.

Also I can't believe the credit he was given for qualifying for the World Cup. That should be a given. Being 3rd on goal differential shouldn't get you a cookie. Back in 2010 and 2014 we finished 1st. Just because 2018 happened, it shouldn't lower the bar.

In both the qualifiers and the actual World Cup, people were acting like we progressed because they were looking at 2018.

Don't get the red card, we dont lose to Panama and who knows where the team ends up.

Soccer the sport where dumb rules go to get tried out. its what hockey would be if they had 10 guys on each team. Even Lax figured out you cant score if you let everyone play D.

We have the biggest field so lets use the least amount of refs to control the game.

Our defense is still not up to par compared to our talent. We're just not good enough.

Our defense is still not up to par compared to our talent. We're just not good enough.
Not being athletic on D hurts us. Then the lack of composure under pressure adds up

Not being athletic on D hurts us. Then the lack of composure under pressure adds up

They should have worked Miles Robinson back into the team. Ream is solid, but I honestly think this team needs to play 3 at the back - Robinson, Carter-Vickers and Richards.

Then use Antonee Robinson as the left wingback, with Dest as the right wingback. Two of Adams, Musah or McKennie as the holding midfielders, and then Pulisic and Weah as the attacking wingers, and whoever the on-form number 9 is to lead the line.

Do we have anyone on the youth teams that looks to be improving?

Do we have anyone on the youth teams that looks to be improving?
A U23 team is playing in the Olympics next month. First game is against host France. Then you can see the gap between our nation and the number one best developers right now globally.

Berhalter is just honestly a bad manager. His brother was an executive and he got hired. They compounded it by bringing him back. Three world cup group stage and three copa group stage games. 5 goals total. 5 goals in 6 vs Wales, Iran, England, Uruguay, Panama, Bolivia. That's absolutely horrendous.
Berhalter out

A sobering article from ESPN (behind firewall) that suggests that this "Golden Generation" of US players for the most part are only squad players at these European clubs that they play for.

Pulisic is the closest to an elite player that we have, and while he got his career back on track at AC Milan this past season, he's still more of a "Top 100" player in the world than a "Top 20". Antonee Robinson also gets called for praise, saying that England could have used him at left back in the Euros.

Berhalter's approach is stale. He built a good foundation, much like Southgate in England, but he's reached his ceiling, and so have these players.

We need someone to come in and give them all a firm kick in the backside, teach them to be tougher defensively, and find some new offensive patterns that create more goal chances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom