USMNT soccer team thread | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up on this thread -- I gotta say, I am surprised at the amount of people complaining about the drop off in talent after our A-team. This is without a doubt the most depth that the US has ever had in its history. The past few cycles when we didn't send a full squad to the Gold Cup we were starting players like Logan Pause, Chad Marshall, Clarence Goodson, Santino Quaranta, Brian Ching, Davy Arnaud, Jay Heaps, etc, etc.

Right now the team obviously isn't clicking the way that we hope, but the talent level is leagues above where it was just a few cycles ago.

Consider that none of the guys who play in Europe are here. And there are quite a few name guys in MLS who sat this one out, as well. Deep squad, and a couple guys made the team for Russia in this tournament.

This is the best game they've played so far in the tournament. The defense was pretty solid. I mean, the US always has a few moments, but tonight we were comfortable out there. Of course, Costa Rica was missing three of their best attacking players due to injury, so that helped us look maybe a little better, too.

Gonzalez and Besler have good chemistry back there. They may not be world class, but they are very solid together. Kellyn Acosta had a very good game. Bradley was a beast, especially later in the game as guys were tiring. Both the fullbacks were good. Zusi was not really exposed, and Villafana is suddenly playing every game and doing pretty well.

Nagbe is a very unique player for us - a bit N'Golo Kante and a bit Michael Essien. A key player with a bright future. He seemed to combine well with Villafana to make the transition from defense to offense.

Clint was great as a sub with 30 minutes to go. He changed our whole attack in the final third, because sometimes Clint just tries stuff, like that little spin that led to Jozy's goal. He's very creative in tight spaces.

Jozy was wresting too much for a lot of the game, but he had a really nice finish on that goal. It wasn't as easy as he made it look, with the guy pulling him back by the arm. Nice job on that.

I really like how this team is playing. I think this is a Mexico team we can beat, assuming Jamaica doesn't spring a surprise tomorrow.

This might be the Ommegang talking...

But in 2014, Klinnsman's ego made him leave Donovan at home. When we needed that last minute spark and JK looked down his bench all he had to call on was Wondo. Wondo blew the sitter against Belgium and rest is history.

In 2018, when that role rightfully goes to Dempsey, I feel he's exactly the type of player that will shine in that situation.

This might be the Ommegang talking...

But in 2014, Klinnsman's ego made him leave Donovan at home. When we needed that last minute spark and JK looked down his bench all he had to call on was Wondo. Wondo blew the sitter against Belgium and rest is history.

In 2018, when that role rightfully goes to Dempsey, I feel he's exactly the type of player that will shine in that situation.

Thank God for Julian Green!

Thank God for Julian Green!
I'm biased because he began his career at my favorite club but there's still a lot of time for Green to break back in and make an impact. If he had never been on that WC roster and was just a 22 year old wing player whose club team just got promoted to the Bundesliga we'd all be really excited about him. I'm hoping he gets a good amount of run with Stuttgart this year.

The only that sucks is that there won't be a Confederations Cup in 2021 unless it's not in Qatar.

FIFA won't play it in the summer in Qatar and the top European leagues won't let it happen in the winter of 2021 like they are being forced to do for the 2022 WC.

Still the USA should be motivated to win this final just for the ranking bonus points we will get.

On the topic of CBs: Cameron can definitely go out and cover, that's why I'd play him at the right CB. At the left, Ream, Besler I believe are quick enough too. Brooks may be able to eventhough I'm not sure he has the quickness. Or you could look at more defensive outside backs like Lichaj etc.

In terms of Nagbe I think the options are playing him next to Bradley. Braldey (6), Nagbe, (8), Pulisic (10). Or you take of Dempsey and play Pulisic as a withdrawn striker next to Altidore. Then it would be Bradley as (6), Lletget or Acosta etc. at (8), Nagbe (8/10). This is why I prefers the 3-4-3 because it allows Nagbe and Pulisic to attack space as the AMs with two CMs behind them.

I actually though Nagbe played pretty well at the 8 on Wednesday.

RWB: Chandler, Arriola, Zusi?
LWB: Villafaña, Saeif

Chandler played very well at wingback at his club, but allows under performs with USMNT. Though wingback would give him less defensive responsibility which may help, he plays RM quite a bit this year. Arriola plays wingback in LigaMX. Zusi in desperation.

Villafaña is decent going forward. Would be serviceable. Saeif, wish he didn't get injured for the gold cup would also be a good option. Plays left wing and wingback for Gent who made the champions league.

This is great stuff. Had no idea that Saief and Chandler play WB for their clubs.

I am an odd-duck of a fan. I loved to play the game and I coach the game so I study it when I watch it but just don't watch it that much at the club level. In the Fall, college football beats soccer every time on Saturdays and the NFL beats soccer on Sundays. In the winter it's college hoops and, in the Spring, it's lax. Combine those preferences with the fact that my kids both play a lot of sports so I spend a lot more time at fields on the weekend rather than on my couch and I just don't get to watch much club ball...

I also prefer national team to club...

And when I do watch club, my team is Fiorentina so that is the club that I look to watch...

I agree with you on Cameron. I think he is our best 1 v 1 CB...I don't know that any of them are quick enough to deal with a winger 1 v 1 but they do need to delay until help arrives and not just get torched...

I just wonder whether we can keep opponents at bay in a 3-4-3...We have a hard enough time doing so in a 4-4-2 with two defensive mids against competition that isn't the greatest...

This is great stuff. Had no idea that Saief and Chandler play WB for their clubs.

I am an odd-duck of a fan. I loved to play the game and I coach the game so I study it when I watch it but just don't watch it that much at the club level. In the Fall, college football beats soccer every time on Saturdays and the NFL beats soccer on Sundays. In the winter it's college hoops and, in the Spring, it's lax. Combine those preferences with the fact that my kids both play a lot of sports so I spend a lot more time at fields on the weekend rather than on my couch and I just don't get to watch much club ball...

I also prefer national team to club...

And when I do watch club, my team is Fiorentina so that is the club that I look to watch...

I agree with you on Cameron. I think he is our best 1 v 1 CB...I don't know that any of them are quick enough to deal with a winger 1 v 1 but they do need to delay until help arrives and not just get torched...

I just wonder whether we can keep opponents at bay in a 3-4-3...We have a hard enough time doing so in a 4-4-2 with two defensive mids against competition that isn't the greatest...

You might have an American on the Fiorentina senior squad soon (Josh Perez)

He will have to fight for his place. He came through a great academy so he will have chances at other clubs in Italy if he doesn't make it at Fiorentina. The next young US player to make noise is probably Weston McKennie at Schalke.

At the rate Fiorentina is losing players this summer, I might be suiting up for them next year...

He will have to fight for his place. He came through a great academy so he will have chances at other clubs in Italy if he doesn't make it at Fiorentina. The next young US player to make noise is probably Weston McKennie at Schalke.

Mckennie will see significant minutes this year at Shalke IMO. Next big breakout for the US

Anybody concerned about Jamaica tonight? They did get us last time, and they are a very athletic team. Their new coach has them well organized defensively, and their goalkeeper, Blake, has been playing out of his mind in this tournament.

I do not think this is going to be a walk-over. I think it is going to take time to break them down. First goal is huge in this game. If Jamaica gets it, we may have trouble coming back against them without somebody like Pulisic in the lineup. I think I would hold Dempsey back again in this game, because even he is going to have some trouble with these guys if he has to go 90 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.