Utah... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Utah...

Would not surprise me at all if after the dust settles the ACC remains to be the third most lucrative conference. It's my understanding that it's already #3.
It will remain in third place. It will continue to make more money and it will end up having teams every year in the playoffs, winning baseball championships, winning Lacrosse championships and of course winning basketball championships. Both women and men.

Does the Big 12 have The Longhorn Network remnants?
No. It is about to be shut down. The B12 will never have its own network.

On Nov. 2, ESPN's PR provided The Texan with this statement: “Longhorn Network will wind down in the summer of 2024 when Texas moves to the SEC. This includes the end of the lease for our Austin office and studio.Nov 2, 2023

It will remain in third place. It will continue to make more money and it will end up having teams every year in the playoffs, winning baseball championships, winning Lacrosse championships and of course winning basketball championships. Both women and men.
Not to sound like a di*k, but part of that was said also from the "Conference of Champions" before their demise. "Football, football, football". RIP Tim Russert.

The PAC 12 would still be around had it moved proactively when the BIG12 splintered the first time and grabbed Baylor / Texas Tech / Kansas / K St / OK St / Iowa St. Instead, the PAC 12 sat on its hands and when the B1G made its eventual move the PAC 12 was finished by a BIG 12 that managed to stay afloat largely by adding AAC type teams. By the exact conference it could have finished itself.

Hopefully the ACC has permanently learned from that. The ACC should be doing everything in its power to convince the quality BIG 12 teams that logically expand the footprint to jump ship. Whatever it takes to kill the BIG 12.

How would Utah to the ACC even be possible? It’s too late to bring them in this year and if they play in the B12 they’ll be bound to their GOR. What’s the angle?

How would Utah to the ACC even be possible? It’s too late to bring them in this year and if they play in the B12 they’ll be bound to their GOR. What’s the angle?
I don’t see how it’s possible singularly.

I don’t see how it’s possible singularly.
They apparently have good lawyers in Utah and the B12 was desperate.

The question is, were any of the other B12 additions as smart?

If the ACC expands, I believe it will expand to an even number. It wasn‘t a coincidence it went from 15 to 18 last time around. That odd team makes scheduling for basketball really hard and almost ensures a conference team has a weekend off all through the conference season. That is bad for business. Weekends are when the crowds are biggest and the TV numbers are the highest.

We Syracuse fans know this all too well from last season, when we draw the short straw and had to sit out the last weekend of the season.

If these reports are correct and ESPN is emphasizing TV market size and increased subscribers to ACCN to a bump in revenue, I would think the other school would be from a market the ACC is not in that is a big one.

Probably San Diego State? Colorado if they have the same provision Utah has when they joined the B12. I don’t think they do though.

It all makes sense when you think about it. Utah plays a year in the B12. The ACC adds them and San Diego State in 2025, when the look in with ESPN happens. ESPN gives all ACC schools a nice bump in revenue, making it clearly a better move for Utah than the B12. They get more money and a chance to feature their programs on a conference TV network, Utah is only bound to the ACC until 2036 and might get out earlier in the unlikely event FSU and Clemson find a way to get out of the GOR (or pay their way out).

The move answers the complaints FSU and Clemson have made about the ACC doing nothing to protect their brands or enhancing the conference. Bumps their revenue and adding the best football program in the B12 improves ACC football markedly. Hurts their position in their lawsuits against the ACC.

The ACC finally gets a sixth lacrosse program. And ESPN delivers a major blow to the Fox controlled B12 conference. They protect their investment in the ACC and set the stage for more raids from the B12 circa 2030-31.

Not to sound like a di*k, but part of that was said also from the "Conference of Champions" before their demise. "Football, football, football". RIP Tim Russert.
The Pac TV contract expired and they completely mismanaged and blew the negotiations for a new deal. They overplayed their position and in essence killed themselves. The demise of the PAC was 100% self inflicted.

The ACC on the other hand has managed to not only survive but increase their revenue by approximately 100 million last year. They have added three excellent Universities and in Dallas on of the largest TV markets in the country. The ACC landed a solid position and payment in the newly expanded college football playoffs and continues to increase viewership across its own ACC Network which is and will remain the last in collegiate sports.
What I find strange is that the narrative around the league is always about trailing the Big 10 and the SEC.
I believe it needs to be about the fact that it LEADS, is in front of every other conference in the country.
Each school in the ACC received a record 43 million last distribution. It will approach 50 million per team next distribution cycle. Compare that to any team outside of the Big 10 and SEC and realize that Syracuse is in good shape and very fortunate to be in the ACC.
Syracuse has in the ACC a platform to legitimately compete for championships in every major sport. It has a media partner in ESPN that leads and will continue to lead in the distribution of sports content.
The ACC isn't going anywhere regardless of what happens with
FSU or Clemson.
I hope that the expansion rumors are true and that the ACC expands West and adds mountain and pacific time zone viewership to its network as that viewership actually has more value than adding the same numbers in our current foot print.
Third place is a good place.

The rumor is that there is a deadline to sign the GOR that has yet to pass. So if Utah announces an ACC move beforehand, they can leave. Not sure how they avoid the exit fee though. Even if they forgo their one year's B12 revenue, it is only half the exit fee. Which then gives FSU ammo to say look others get off for 1/2 the exit fee shouldn't we too?

The rumor is that there is a deadline to sign the GOR that has yet to pass. So if Utah announces an ACC move beforehand, they can leave. Not sure how they avoid the exit fee though. Even if they forgo their one year's B12 revenue, it is only half the exit fee. Which then gives FSU ammo to say look others get off for 1/2 the exit fee shouldn't we too?
Why. The Big contract/GOR terms are independent from the ACC GOR.

Why. The Big contract/GOR terms are independent from the ACC GOR.

There are two things. First there is the GOR. Second there is the exit fee. Thus far exit fees have not really held up. Utah getting out would just be another example. Sure that is only reducing FSU's exit cost from $500M to $350M but it is does hurt the ACC's case.

UConn, WVU please, they need to be part of any expansion if we are getting the band back together.
As much as I want to say freck UConn, yeah, they help downstream with non FB.

West Virginia is a layup

I'd imagine they'd love to get back to some regional play in spite of what the internet warriors postulate

Way different fact base between FSU/ACC and Utah/Big12.

I’m happy they have a good BB team. So does Gonzaga.

Why anyone would want to add another NE football mouth to feed, I’ll never understand.
Yes, agree 100%. I understand the nostalgia of adding UConn for basketball but football drives the bus and UConn does not help there. Plus, it gives them a platform to compete with us for NE recruits. Hard pass. WVU I could see as they have a decent FB program. Not a big needle mover though.

They apparently have good lawyers in Utah and the B12 was desperate.

The question is, were any of the other B12 additions as smart?

If the ACC expands, I believe it will expand to an even number. It wasn‘t a coincidence it went from 15 to 18 last time around. That odd team makes scheduling for basketball really hard and almost ensures a conference team has a weekend off all through the conference season. That is bad for business. Weekends are when the crowds are biggest and the TV numbers are the highest.

We Syracuse fans know this all too well from last season, when we draw the short straw and had to sit out the last weekend of the season.

If these reports are correct and ESPN is emphasizing TV market size and increased subscribers to ACCN to a bump in revenue, I would think the other school would be from a market the ACC is not in that is a big one.

Probably San Diego State? Colorado if they have the same provision Utah has when they joined the B12. I don’t think they do though.

It all makes sense when you think about it. Utah plays a year in the B12. The ACC adds them and San Diego State in 2025, when the look in with ESPN happens. ESPN gives all ACC schools a nice bump in revenue, making it clearly a better move for Utah than the B12. They get more money and a chance to feature their programs on a conference TV network, Utah is only bound to the ACC until 2036 and might get out earlier in the unlikely event FSU and Clemson find a way to get out of the GOR (or pay their way out).

The move answers the complaints FSU and Clemson have made about the ACC doing nothing to protect their brands or enhancing the conference. Bumps their revenue and adding the best football program in the B12 improves ACC football markedly. Hurts their position in their lawsuits against the ACC.

The ACC finally gets a sixth lacrosse program. And ESPN delivers a major blow to the Fox controlled B12 conference. They protect their investment in the ACC and set the stage for more raids from the B12 circa 2030-31.

Thanks Tom, that makes sense, and probably why the B12 got everyone moving so fast. I'm actually surprised the other teams agreed to it, though!

And I do agree that Utah and another partner for them joining is a good thing. Hopefully the look-in that I believe is underway, puts the ACC at a clear advantage to the B12 in everyway, it would seem that its in ESPN's best interest to make sure they are which is a good thing for this look-in period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom