Utah... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Utah...

Thanks Tom, that makes sense, and probably why the B12 got everyone moving so fast. I'm actually surprised the other teams agreed to it, though!

And I do agree that Utah and another partner for them joining is a good thing. Hopefully the look-in that I believe is underway, puts the ACC at a clear advantage to the B12 in everyway, it would seem that its in ESPN's best interest to make sure they are which is a good thing for this look-in period.
What is the timeframe for this happening?

Add Utah, then raid the Big East and have the best Basketball conference in the country and even if FSU and Clemson leave you can backfill with a couple more west coast schools

UConn, WVU please, they need to be part of any expansion if we are getting the band back together.
Well, there's your problem right there.

Unless things blow up massively, we are not getting the band back together. And there's no reason to. As kcsu said, these two teams don't add enough value for ESPN to give the ACC a bump. And unless I am overlooking something, there is no way on Earth (or almost heaven) that WVFU could afford the buyout. And there's also no way the ACC would take a team that couldn't bring its broadcast rights with it for x number of years.

Also a reminder in regards to contract renewals it goes B10, then B12 and then SEC next. B10 will get another good bump and likely full shares going out. The SEC will get bumped I believe a year after B12. The B12 is likely in for some bad news from both Fox and ESPN because it sure as hell will be easier to just pull from B12 budgets to bump the B10 and SEC respectively for Fox and ESPN. With ACC revenues steadily increasing and the contract going until 2035, the B12 will be ripe for having assets getting poached. IF UTAH happens, that will be the second domino in the B12 demise. Texas and OK leaving was the first. Also adding San Diego adds a complementary market and west partner for our newer ACC brethren.

Also a reminder in regards to contract renewals it goes B10, then B12 and then SEC next. B10 will get another good bump and likely full shares going out. The SEC will get bumped I believe a year after B12. The B12 is likely in for some bad news from both Fox and ESPN because it sure as hell will be easier to just pull from B12 budgets to bump the B10 and SEC respectively for Fox and ESPN. With ACC revenues steadily increasing and the contract going until 2035, the B12 will be ripe for having assets getting poached. IF UTAH happens, that will be the second domino in the B12 demise. Texas and OK leaving was the first. Also adding San Diego adds a complementary market and west partner for our newer ACC brethren.
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

Well, there's your problem right there.

Unless things blow up massively, we are not getting the band back together. And there's no reason to. As kcsu said, these two teams don't add enough value for ESPN to give the ACC a bump. And unless I am overlooking something, there is no way on Earth (or almost heaven) that WVFU could afford the buyout. And there's also no way the ACC would take a team that couldn't bring its broadcast rights with it for x number of years.
But they bought Jesse! They have coal and Mylan money!

Yeah, um no.

Only way we get reunited with WVU is if the ACC and XII merge. I'd love it for selfish reasons, but it's just not happening otherwise.

What is the timeframe for this happening?
First, let me me clear here. I don't know that this 'Utah to the ACC' thing is real.

I am just saying that theoretically, it makes some sense. If Utah is really a free agent (which I think is a key and which appears to be the case), I could see the ACC, backed by ESPN, going after the Utes hard.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is a consideration is that Utah recruits California hard. Joining the Pac12 helped them towards this end a lot because there were 4 teams in the conference based there. They played in that state a lot and could promise that to their recruits.

Moving to the B12 could hurt them in their recruiting of kids from California. Joining the ACC would address that. Especially if the ACC added another California team as part of this expansion.

If Utah were to join the ACC, you can bank on them playing the other ACC schools based in California as often as possible. That would help reduce travel for all the ACC schools.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think if this happens, it happens quickly. Obviously Utah would not join the ACC for the 2024 season but if it happens, I think it will get worked out and approved fast.

You know the B12 is going to try and block this and the window of opportunity is not a big one. And from the perspective of the ACC, making a power move like this that would make the ACC stronger in football, reduce travel and boost revenue is going to help with the lawsuits, and going to help make everyone in the conference happier.

The biggest issue might be with Utah getting a far better deal than Cal, Stanford and SMU got. But they are in a better position to negotiate and frankly, their football program has been much better in the past decade. And if them joining gets the existing ACC schools more revenue, everyone wins. Even Cal, Stanford and SMU.

I made fun of Scoop Weiss breaking a big story on conference realignment a week or two ago. Him breaking this is crazy.

But this actually seems like it might be possible.

Let me me clear here. I don't know that this Utah to the ACC thing is real.

I am just saying that theoretically, it makes some sense. If Utah is really a free agent (which I think is a key and which appears to be the case), I could see the ACC, backed by ESPN, going after the Utes hard.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is a consideration is that Utah recruits California hard. Joining the Pac12 helped them towards this end a lot because there were 4 teams in the conference based there.

Moving to the B12 could hurt them in their recruiting of kids from California. Joining the ACC would address that. Especially if the ACC added another California team as part of this expansion.

If Utah were to join the ACC, you can bank on them playing all the schools based in California all the time. That would help reduce travel for all the ACC schools.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think if this happens, it happens quickly. Obviously Utah would not join the ACC for the 2024 season but if it happens, I think it will get worked out and approved fast.

You know the B12 is going to try and block this and the window of opportunity is not a big one. And from the perspective of the ACC, making a strong move like this that would make the ACC stronger in football, reduce travel and boost revenue is going to help with the lawsuits, and going to help make everyone in the conference happier.

The biggest issue might be with Utah getting a far better deal than Cal, Stanford and SMU got. But they are in a better position to negotiate and frankly, their football program has been much better in the past decade. And if them joining gets the existing ACC schools more revenue, everyone wins. Even Cal, Stanford and SMU.

I made fun of Scoop Weiss breaking a big story on conference realignment a week or two ago. Him breaking this is crazy.

Well then would it make sense then to add Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado with Utah?

Does the Big 12 have The Longhorn Network remnants?
No. The Longhorn Network was solely an arrangement between ESPN and UTexas. The NCAA killed the Longhorn Network before it even went on the air by saying that if they showed Texas HS sports (like they planned to do) it would be considered a major recruiting violation.

No. The Longhorn Network was solely an arrangement between ESPN and UTexas. The NCAA killed the Longhorn Network before it even went on the air by saying that if they showed Texas HS sports (like they planned to do) it would be considered a major recruiting violation.
Confirmed by this article...

On Nov. 2, ESPN’s PR provided The Texan with this statement: “Longhorn Network will wind down in the summer of 2024 when Texas moves to the SEC. This includes the end of the lease for our Austin office and studio.

First, let me me clear here. I don't know that this 'Utah to the ACC' thing is real.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is a consideration is that Utah recruits California hard. Joining the Pac12 helped them towards this end a lot because there were 4 teams in the conference based there. They played in that state a lot and could promise that to their recruits.

If Utah were to join the ACC, you can bank on them playing the other ACC schools based in California as often as possible. That would help reduce travel for all the ACC schools.

You know the B12 is going to try and block this and the window of opportunity is not a big one. And from the perspective of the ACC, making a power move like this that would make the ACC stronger in football, reduce travel and boost revenue is going to help with the lawsuits, and going to help make everyone in the conference happier.

That actually is a good point about Cali. If the ACC were to add Utah and San Diego State, it pretty much shuts the B12 out from California which is a big deal for both TV and recruiting. It also gives the ACC 4 potential schools for after dark content.

That actually is a good point about Cali. If the ACC were to add Utah and San Diego State, it pretty much shuts the B12 out from California which is a big deal for both TV and recruiting. It also gives the ACC 4 potential schools for after dark content.
The ACC would have more schools in California than any other major conference,

The other school I would consider if I was the ACC would be UNLV.

San Diego is the 30th biggest market and Las Vegas is the 40th biggest but my guess is that Las Vegas will probably pass San Diego in the next decade or two. Plus, it is a great place to visit for a game. Super easy to get to, tons to do there and as we already know, they play in a top notch facility. Could see the ACC having the conference championship game for football there someday.

Maybe you think big here and add Utah, San Diego and UNLV? Not sure there is another school that makes sense to add now.

San Diego is the 30th biggest market and Las Vegas is the 40th biggest but my guess is that Las Vegas will probably pass San Diego in the next decade or two. Plus, it is a great place to visit for a game. Super easy to get to, tons to do there and as we already know, they play in a top notch facility. Could see the ACC having the conference championship game for football there someday.

Maybe you think big here and add Utah, San Diego and UNLV? Not sure there is another school that makes sense to add now.

If you do that you finish out the Western half of the ACC by adding Oregon St, and Washington St. That effectively landlocks the Big 12 from both coasts.

On top of those teams, within five years I'd be looking to add UCF, particularly if FSU still wants to bolt.

If you do that you finish out the Western half of the ACC by adding Oregon St, and Washington St. That effectively landlocks the Big 12 from both coasts.
I get that they are former P5 teams, which is a plus. But they are kind of stale and travel wise are tough to get in and out of. San Diego State and UNLV would have some buzz, incrementally larger # of eyeballs and easy travel.

I feel schools like UNLV, Tulane, USF, Temple, UConn will always be available. I can't see UNLV being worth adding now. Maybe in the future. But if ESPN says so, then by all means add them.

Also it would be nice to have flexibility to raid the B12 when their contract is up. ASU, Colorado, Kansas, Baylor would be nice to add. It would be good to keep as many potential spots as possible.

Utah is a Top 20 FB team in recent history. San Diego St keeps the B12 out of Cali. They also help cut travel for Cal/Stanford. They both make sense now IMO. UNLV not so much.

Utah, San Diego State are both homeruns.

Utah does makes sense in a lot of ways. They also apparently have a deep rooted hatred for BYU and aren't very excited about being conference mates with them. So much that they are very willing to gamble with a move to the ACC with that being a huge upside, especially if they ACC comes out on top of the alignment battle with the B12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom