Utah... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Utah...

There’s speculation out there now implying that three other schools could be in the mix (SDSU, Ore St., and USF).

SDSU admin needs to set Brian Dutcher straight if this rumor takes off. He wasn't a fan of Big 12 travel and was bashing USC/UCLA on their travel in the Big 10:

"Even though our flight was a charter, I thought, my goodness, those guys have to do this every other week to play a basketball game? It would be exhausting," he said. "It's going to be a real challenge to be at their best with that kind of travel. I'm wishing them all the best, but that's more travel than I would ever wish on anybody."

I don't get why a Pac/ACC merger didn't happen a year ago? Pac could have used a lifeline. Their fans were wanting it and ACC could have got pennies on the dollar and with Oregon/Washington before they bolted.

I suspect ESPN broke the numbers down for them. Conference fans watch mostly their own conference teams. ACC fans watches ACC, Big 10 watches Big 10, etc. With all of the ACC in the EST and the almost all of the Pac in the PST, the time zone differences would hurt ratings. So ESPN probably said sure, ACC, you can add them, but instead said we will need 75% of the ACCN revenue to recoup.
Washington and Oregon wanted the B1G. They weren't going to the ACC if that was a possibility, especially for "pennies on the dollar".

There’s speculation out there now implying that three other schools could be in the mix (SDSU, Ore St., and USF).

I'll believe it when I see it. This stuff is all crazy. USF makes the most sense geographically and as a defensive move against FSU leaving. Utah, SDSU and Oregon St makes sense if you want a 4 or 5 team pod out west.

BL: The B12 and ACC ought to work together and rearrange all the teams into sensible pods.

I'll believe it when I see it. This stuff is all crazy. USF makes the most sense geographically and as a defensive move against FSU leaving. Utah, SDSU and Oregon St makes sense if you want a 4 or 5 team pod out west.

BL: The B12 and ACC ought to work together and rearrange all the teams into sensible pods.
And yet this will never happen because each conference is competing against each other to get the biggest payout. Which is why I strongly believe their needs to be 1 entity, voice with smaller geographical “divisions/confrences”. However the confrences would be under one media contract and not negotiated out separately.

Need replacements for Fla St, Clemson, UNC and Duke or Virginia...

If the musical chairs start up again, hard not to think the big dogs aren't involved.

If the musical chairs start up again, hard not to think the big dogs aren't involved.
Right but the musical chairs won’t be for a while

And yet this will never happen because each conference is competing against each other to get the biggest payout. Which is why I strongly believe their needs to be 1 entity, voice with smaller geographical “divisions/confrences”. However the confrences would be under one media contract and not negotiated out separately.
Agreed...but, just maybe they realize cooperation is in both league's interests.

A good article on why believing B12 bloggers is folly.

The state on NC just paid a bunch of money to the ACC to move the HQs to Charlotte and to host almost every ACC championship.

The state on NC just paid a bunch of money to the ACC to move the HQs to Charlotte and to host almost every ACC championship.

How much and does it really matter all that much to member schools?

I have no doubt that the ACC will exist in some capacity in the future, but am skeptical it will be a collection all of the programs currently in the conference... I also expect that blue chip NC programs may defect for bigger media rights payouts.

Last edited:
SDSU admin needs to set Brian Dutcher straight if this rumor takes off. He wasn't a fan of Big 12 travel and was bashing USC/UCLA on their travel in the Big 10:

"Even though our flight was a charter, I thought, my goodness, those guys have to do this every other week to play a basketball game? It would be exhausting," he said. "It's going to be a real challenge to be at their best with that kind of travel. I'm wishing them all the best, but that's more travel than I would ever wish on anybody."
If SDSU makes the move, I assume he will, grudgingly, play good company man, he loves being at SDSU so I think he would come around

Washington and Oregon wanted the B1G. They weren't going to the ACC if that was a possibility, especially for "pennies on the dollar".
True but Big 10 was not interested. Only when Colorado announced to the Big 12 did something happen. Tony Petitti, like the rest of Pac and everybody, was surprised on the Colorado move and canceled the 2nd half of the Big 10 Media Days to reconsider getting Oregon/Washington. And he did just that - and got them at a bargain. ACC and Pac could have worked something out before the Colorado move.

True but Big 10 was not interested. Only when Colorado announced to the Big 12 did something happen. Tony Petitti, like the rest of Pac and everybody, was surprised on the Colorado move and canceled the 2nd half of the Big 10 Media Days to reconsider getting Oregon/Washington. And he did just that - and got them at a bargain. ACC and Pac could have worked something out before the Colorado move.
which is why i think we will continue being aggressive. Also, now that the math has changed it will be impossible for the FSU and Clemson gang to block expansion

B1G was interested and would have never allowed it. OU and UW were always headed there... even if it was mostly about the B1G preventing someone else from scooping them up... especially the ACC with its intractable GoR. The only question was when.

B1G was interested and would have never allowed it. OU and UW were always headed there... even if it was mostly about the B1G preventing someone else from scooping them up... especially the ACC with its intractable GoR. The only question was when.
Correct, the general criticism of the ACC for being reactive is accurate but this fiction that we blew it with Oregon and UW is garbage, they were never coming to the ACC.

Agreed...but, just maybe they realize cooperation is in both league's interests.

A good article on why believing B12 bloggers is folly.

I think the ACC screwed up by not being more aggressive when Texas and Oklahoma left. I think they should have went hard after destroying Big 12. The PAC would have probably also poached Big 12 and I bet USC and UCLA do not move on because they sign a better contract with the Big 12 picked apart.

Now that obviously didn’t happen. And then I think the ACC was no aggressive enough in trying to get the PAC leftovers and creating a two coast conference. Which I think would have worked with the pod system. Now cal and Stanford are on just too much of an island in my opinion.

No way ESPN doesn’t move forward with the ACC. They have the ACC under contract at a massive bargain. Clemson and FSU can’t leave and if they do, they will pay huge penalty’s.

Ultimately, I don’t think anything happens until the NCAA reforms. That may be in motion now with the settlement. If not, when the Big 12 contract runs its course in 2030 I think a lot of this will sort itself out.

CU FSU VT NCST to SEC
UNC UVA to BIG 10

Once the big brands leave the ACC it will be interesting to see if the big 12 acquires ACC teams or the ACC acquire big 12 teams. Personally, I think 2 12-team regional conferences is the best way to go.

ACC/B12 EAST and WEST divisions with a championship game in Vegas

Correct, the general criticism of the ACC for being reactive is accurate but this fiction that we blew it with Oregon and UW is garbage, they were never coming to the ACC.
Pac (and ACC) didn't learn from history quick enough. Big 12 wanted to expand in 2016 but Texas and Oklahoma nixed it. Rest of the Big 12 should have pushed it through.

Pac could have expanded in 2021 but USC shut it down. About USC and Oregon, you are probably right, they said no to an ACC / Pac merger (and likely FSU/Clemson). Rest of Pac and ACC should have pushed it through. Pac as we knew it is no more and ACC is on uncertain ground. ACC did recover and give the middle finger to FSU and Clemson by adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU. I don't buy FSU's argument that the ACC expansion was a reason for them wanting out. They were heading that way anyways.

About 6 months ago, the Big 12 and ACC Locked on Podcast guys did a joint podcast. The Big 12 guy broached a merger. The ACC guy laughed it off and said, "we are not there yet". Basically don't call us, we'll call you. FSU was grumbling but no lawsuits yet. ACC was still in the strongest position versus the Big 12.

Fast forward to now and forward. If FSU and Clemson leave, both leagues are about equivalent, though some will say ACC is still stronger. Okay, say NC leaves, maybe Miami too, Big 12 has a valid argument about being stronger. They may not have brands but have coast to coast content, aren't tied to one media partner, and in a weird way is more stable. They can start going after Louisville and Pittsburgh. Dominos start falling once one team leaves, as we saw with the Pac.

It may be too late, but ACC and Big 12 should start merger discussions now before ACC teams possibly leave.

About 6 months ago, the Big 12 and ACC Locked on Podcast guys did a joint podcast. The Big 12 guy broached a merger. The ACC guy laughed it off and said, "we are not there yet". Basically don't call us, we'll call you. FSU was grumbling but no lawsuits yet. ACC was still in the strongest position versus the Big 12.

Fast forward to now and forward. If FSU and Clemson leave, both leagues are about equivalent, though some will say ACC is still stronger. Okay, say NC leaves, maybe Miami too, Big 12 has a valid argument about being stronger. They may not have brands but have coast to coast content, aren't tied to one media partner, and in a weird way is more stable. They can start going after Louisville and Pittsburgh. Dominos start falling once one team leaves, as we saw with the Pac.

It may be too late, but ACC and Big 12 should start merger discussions now before ACC teams possibly leave.
We have the ACCN which is HUGE

The ACC commissioner did a great job getting Stanford, Cal and SMU .
The strings he pulled to get the votes shows he's got a set. My money's on Big Jim.
What are the odds for Utah?

Would not surprise me at all if after the dust settles the ACC remains to be the third most lucrative conference. It's my understanding that it's already #3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom