Virginia Game... | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game...

Also, I want to point out that Grant Murphy has a couple end line run outs vs. UVA and won possession for SU. That's a common occurrence for him. I remember at least one vs. JHU last year. I think he has good anticipation skills.

It seems like Dipietro did a good job vs. Cormier early in the game. UVA moved Cormier to midfield, presumably to change that match up.

I haven't read this thread in its entirety, so these may have been mentioned before.

I loved seeing Liam Ferris get playing time and being aggressive in going to the goal. It looked like the other players on the field had to give him a bit of encouragement to dodge. They looked like they were pointing behind the cage as if telling him to take his man there. His shot hit the post. I wonder how much the invert strategy will continue for Syracuse. Certainly the two middie lines have guys who can play behind the goal. I was a little disappointed that when Cook finally got a shorty and took him behind the goal, he didn't go really hard to the goal. Maybe UVA was a little quicker to show a slide to him than Seebold or Ferris.

Landon Clary looked like a good #2 LSM. I don't know if he'll get to be an elite college lsm, but having a good #2 is important. SU has had some good #2 LSMs in the past, like Jay Abendroth, Sean McGonigle and Tyler Hlawati. The early to mid 2010's teams had Joe Fazio, Matt Harris, Peter Macartney, so there was depth there. If Wykoff plays close and Kennedy is the #1 lsm, it'll be important to get BK some rest and Clary looked pretty good on Saturday.

SU seemed to tighten their ssdm rotation on Saturday. I don't think I saw much of Brett Barlow, but he is listed in the box score. Did he play lsm or ssdm? It looked like he played lsm vs. Army. The only other ssdms were Dearth, Aviles and Dami, all of whom looked pretty good. It would be great to get a little more depth at the position.
ohmi, I completely agree about Clary. I just saw him in the second half, but he impressed me with his gbs, quickness and positioning.

Also, I want to point out that Grant Murphy has a couple end line run outs vs. UVA and won possession for SU. That's a common occurrence for him. I remember at least one vs. JHU last year. I think he has good anticipation skills.

It seems like Dipietro did a good job vs. Cormier early in the game. UVA moved Cormier to midfield, presumably to change that match up.
I have to agree Murph and Nick don’t get enough credit for leading the def and allowing Kennedy to free flow, every good D has a good mix of skills and strengths.

Both 44 and 90 have earned their spot over the years playing different roles inc short stick and man down. It’s a huge strength at Syracuse and can set a great example to players currently lower down the depth chart.

My main worry right now is that we lose a lot at that end of the field this year and we aren’t getting anytime for any of the younger players who will have to fill next year! I hope we can get them PT in the games against (so called) lesser opponents.

Has anyone got an opinion on who will step in?

I have to agree Murph and Nick don’t get enough credit for leading the def and allowing Kennedy to free flow, every good D has a good mix of skills and strengths.

Both 44 and 90 have earned their spot over the years playing different roles inc short stick and man down. It’s a huge strength at Syracuse and can set a great example to players currently lower down the depth chart.

My main worry right now is that we lose a lot at that end of the field this year and we aren’t getting anytime for any of the younger players who will have to fill next year! I hope we can get them PT in the games against (so called) lesser opponents.

Has anyone got an opinion on who will step in?

It's unclear if they will all return but Murphy, Dipetro and Kennedy all have another year of eligibility. Only Wykoff is gone for sure at the end of the year along with Dearth obviously.

It's unclear if they will all return but Murphy, Dipetro and Kennedy all have another year of eligibility. Only Wykoff is gone for sure at the end of the year along with Dearth obviously.
Kind of unrelated, but do we know where Jack Kennedy stands? Is he still coming back from injury or is he all good? Is his outlook that of his brother?
Interested to see him on the field.

Last edited:
It'd be nice to see SU use some depth on defense in the upcoming games if they can get leads. I'd love to see a couple of the transfers, like Hapney and Horan or some young guys like Olexo

It'd be nice to see SU use some depth on defense in the upcoming games if they can get leads. I'd love to see a couple of the transfers, like Hapney and Horan or some young guys like Olexo

Agreed, not going to be a lot of opportunities this year to get some young guys play especially with the ACC schedule. Really hoping that SU can get up big in at least one of the next three games and we can get a quarter + of depth guys out there.

While I do worry slightly about next year, seeing how the reserves played in the Army game makes me think we shouldn't force putting them out there in a non blowout situation. Quite a few mistakes from reserves that day and I am also not entirely sold on Staats on man down.

Really cringe at this talk due to my memories of some 'painful upsets' where we lament afterward about flatness, problems executing and other team strategies. Dont think Colgate has won a game since kicking our sss in 2019. Talk of sub is for game thread if score ever allows which I doubt. This is not some 8 goal line, all the occ teams on schedule are not a Wagner ,Mt St Marys, Binghamton etc and to be frank Cuse cant afford a loss if they want a decent seeding in NCAA . IL poll has Albany at #18 ,Hofstra at #20 with both climbing . StonyBrook also receives for top #20 and soundly beat a solid Bryant last week. Vermont imo is a solid team that is more well rounded than a Hofstra. \Cuse will be favored and that is all. Fortunately it appears that mindset of Cuse team righted after Army beatdown, expecting a competitive game vs Vermont as they should.

Kind of unrelated, but do we know where Jack Kennedy stands? Is he still coming back from injury or is he all good? Is his outlook that of his brother?
Interested to see him on the field.

I believe he is fully recovered and showed well in limited reps. However, there is a lot ahead of him and its hard to see him seeing meaningful minutes this year. If multiple guys choose to forego their 5th year next season, he definitely could make a play for time.

A fine point we have casually forgotten is that Desko ran schedules like the current schedule year ina d year out when SU was an independent. If any coach can coach a teachm through the onslaught it is Desko. Right now Deskohas the team's full attention, thanks to Army. The kids remember las year and where they were headed, I think Desmond has them on track again.

FWIW, Brett Kennedy’s IG bio includes the phrase “6 year plan”. I think another year of wearing the famed #11, playing with his bro, &, most importantly, returning to his preferred position of LSM with the emergence of Wykoff this year & hopefully another next would be pretty enticing. It has been rumored (believe Beardsley even mentioned it during a broadcast last yr) that Brett would much prefer to play LSM but was enough of a team guy to fill a need at close. IMO, he’s a top 2 LSM nationally w/ UVA’s Conners & would be the nation’s unquestioned best next year.

Last edited:
FWIW, Brett Kennedy’s IG bio includes the phrase “6 year plan”. I think another year of wearing the famed #11, playing with his bro, &, most importantly, returning to his preferred position of LSM with the emergence of Wykoff this year & hopefully another next would be pretty enticing. It has been rumored (believe Beardsley even mentioned it during a broadcast last yr) that Brett would much prefer to play LSM but was enough of a team guy to fill a need at close. IMO, he’s a top 2 LSM nationally w/ UVA’s Conners & would be the nation’s unquestioned best next year.
Interestingly, Conners’ name was mentioned once during the Virginia game. Once. And only in an off-hand way to compare someone to him. Conners obviously quieted Trimboli but he didnt take over that end of the field and he did nothing in transition or on the wings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom