Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact?

That protocol (5 player rule) is for when the tournament is already underway.
This quote from Gavitt says otherwise...

"Dan Gavitt, NCAA senior vice president of men's basketball, has also said that a team just needs five healthy players to play in their NCAA tournament game. If Virginia doesn't have a widespread COVID outbreak and the rest of the team continues to test negative, the Cavaliers should be eligible to play in the NCAA tournament."

I thought you needed 7 days of negative COVID tests before Indy?

The whole point of a bubble is to actually first travel to the location, and then quarantine and clear the negative test quota at that location. Look at how the NBA and NHL bubble worked.

If a bunch of teams are travelling to Indy a couple of days before the tourney -- and then getting tested the next few days its basically useless -- the risk of undiagnosed spreading is huge as we know there is a lag before a positive test read. All it takes is one player who travelled Tuesday, get a positive Thursday or Friday and voila we are screwed.

Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t Virginia (and every team) be fine as long as 1. They get a bid to the tournament and 2. They Bring 5 players to Indy who have tested negative for 7 days prior. I mean couldn’t Virginia show up and play with 5 walk ons

According to Louisville yesterday the ACC was using the high-tech tracing bands for all teams, so we should know pretty quickly if SU was affected by it or not. At that point, I think we would need seven days of negative tests if we were in contact for the amount of time that is required to go into COVID protocol. That would mean if we did get into the tournament we'd have to play on Saturday. I think?
But we only need 5 guys to test negative correct? Teams can play with 5 guys per the NCAA.

The first four tip off next Thursday and if we make it to that we are screwed.
If we are in the natural field we could play next Saturday and have 7 days in a row of no positive tests.

UVA screwed us if we are one of the last 4 in.
I think teams who are in bubble land must have been told to start testing yesterday.

Once again this serves no purpose. If the players 7 day negative test period starts today, but then are travelling to Indianapolis next week, its not "bubble" testing. The NHL and NBA worked because they cleared quarantine and testing at the bubble location.

There are much more important things in life to worry about than basketball.

That said, this is so demoralizing over a year removed from March 11, 2020. When the dominos began falling, very visually that day, I had absolutely no clue we’d still be dealing with this today.

What ought to happen is that Lousiville should have advanced to play FSU and Cuse advance to play Gtech. Strange times right now with covid so why not? I mean, what are we going to do in the NCAA tournament if this happens in the final four... crown a champion because the other team has a covid case?
What they should do is take no chances and CANCEL the rest of the games. If the virus is in the Barkley Center, they could be screwing ALL the teams!

There are much more important things in life to worry about than basketball.

That said, this is so demoralizing over a year removed from March 11, 2020. When the dominos began falling, very visually that day, I had absolutely no clue we’d still be dealing with this today.
The funniest(?) part of that day was people getting mad the NCAA canceled the tournament instead of postponing it to May or something. Totally unrealistic even at that time.

I just accepted the fate and drove back from Greensboro sad

This quote from Gavitt says otherwise...

"Dan Gavitt, NCAA senior vice president of men's basketball, has also said that a team just needs five healthy players to play in their NCAA tournament game. If Virginia doesn't have a widespread COVID outbreak and the rest of the team continues to test negative, the Cavaliers should be eligible to play in the NCAA tournament."
Here's the medical protocol for the tournament. The way it's worded it does seem you're correct on this. Link

didnt they also rapid test all the players before the game as well just to limit this exposure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom