Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact? | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact?

Does that mean you can catch it again? I thought the presence of antibodies in your blood is why you become 'immune' to catching it again. No?

Yes. Antibodies only last for so long just like the vaccine only lasts for so long supposedly. Nick Saban got it twice.

From what I have heard generally the people that did get it twice, the second time was generally always a mild case because while there was not enough antibodies to stop them from catching it again, there was still some left that fought off most of the negative impact. (That being said I am not a doctor and could be a 100% wrong in terms of how I interpreted what I heard)

i like to think of the NCAA like a pep band.

I think of them more as the weird goth group.

1615578357094.png

I highly doubt any Virginia player was in close contact by covid rules standards against Syracuse yesterday. I think we will be okay. And the Ivy can think whatever they want. they would be wrong. Teams played all year long.
I'm curious why you would think this. Assuming it was a non-starter, and the most any non-starter played was 15 minutes, I'd say any time he was defending our guys, they were in close contact. Maybe for half that time - so like 7 minutes or so. Is that sufficient for the current rules, or does it need to be greater than that? Honestly don't know.

I'm curious why you would think this. Assuming it was a non-starter, and the most any non-starter played was 15 minutes, I'd say any time he was defending our guys, they were in close contact. Maybe for half that time - so like 7 minutes or so. Is that sufficient for the current rules, or does it need to be greater than that? Honestly don't know.

Close contact with no masking

I highly doubt any Virginia player was in close contact by covid rules standards against Syracuse yesterday. I think we will be okay. And the Ivy can think whatever they want. they would be wrong. Teams played all year long.

i tend to agree cuse is more likely than not ok. You never know until you know, which is normally 5-7 days after exposure but not all positives shed equally. Interesting fact: 10-15% of the positives cause 80% of the infections (bc of science not behavior) so all close contact is not the same. That is why I’m sure of you have heard stories of one spouse getting Covid and the other not.

Obviously every case is different but I had a long fight against Covid where it still is effecting my respiratory now in March, and I had it starting in mid November. I didn’t have to be in the hospital or anything but it was sort of bad. Anyways, no one in my household (4 of us) got it besides me (the one person who wasn’t even leaving the house for work or anything of course lol) and it’s not like they stayed Away from me much or anything. I stayed in my room and bed mostly but there still was points of contact with food and utensils, bathroom, etc. so as I said it’s not like every case is the same but I wouldn’t worry about our team until we actually get bad news, if it comes.
reality is we still dont know why certain people get it worse than others. presumably some underlying genetic thing at play but even in a household, to see that difference is amazing. Just crazy. Hope you make a full recovery soon. I have a friend in same boat -- still battling breathing issues months despite being in top shape and health (he's a cop).

Does that mean you can catch it again? I thought the presence of antibodies in your blood is why you become 'immune' to catching it again. No?

Yes. Antibodies only last for so long just like the vaccine only lasts for so long supposedly. Nick Saban got it twice.

Saban did not have two cases.

reality is we still dont know why certain people get it worse than others. presumably some underlying genetic thing at play but even in a household, to see that difference is amazing. Just crazy. Hope you make a full recovery soon. I have a friend in same boat -- still battling breathing issues months despite being in top shape and health (he's a cop).
Yeah exactly we just don’t know how it all works to even the closest of extents. One of my brothers friends ended up having a heart issue they discovered because of his Covid issues and he’s also a cop(NYPD). It’s slowly gotten better it’s just taken quite some time. The worst part to me after I was done with the actual illness was the heart palpitations. I appreciate it though I hope your friends makes his recovery as well.

Sorry, don't understand this reply. UVA players defending SU players are by definition in close contact with no masking, correct?
Within six feet for 15 minutes is the standard the NCAA is going by. All the teams at the ACC tourney use the tracking bands, so it's pretty simple in regards to contact tracing.

What is unclear is whether negative tests (for seven days) trump contact tracing, or if contact tracing rules out the seven days of negative tests.

Essentially if say Marek was within six feet of the UVA player for 20 minutes based on the tracking bands, would he HAVE to quarantine for 10 days, or would he be able to simply have seven days of negative testing.

I haven't found an answer for that. If it's contact tracing (a player is within six feet for 15 minutes or more) and it's a mandatory 10-day quarantine, UVA and Kansas are cooked. Their players certainly are around each other in close contact for much longer than that.

you can absolutely catch "IT" again.

There was a case reported a few weeks ago that someone had COVID (tested positive) in December 2020, had mild symptoms. Then in February had it again, this time it was a life and death situation and hospitalization.

What they don't know was, whether the second infection was a different strand of COVID, or something else happened.

There is also many cases of false positives, and false negatives. Some due to random errors some are not.

I personally know of a case, at my doctor's office one of the nurses told me she went to get tested in November 2020 in Florida, pre-registered, got to testing site and was in a car line, waited waited waited, after 45 minutes she ran out of patience and left without testing.

Seven days later she got mail from testing center saying she was positive. True story not kidding.

I way I understand it is if you don't reach the 15 minute threshold, you just have to continue to test negative. If you were in excess of 15 minutes, you have the 10 day quarantine, where you have to continue to test negative to be eligible afterwards.

I know NCAA doesn't have "jurisdiction" over the conferences and such, but I do think they should have provided the tracking bands to all the athletes. It would be a consistent way to apply the rules and limit the repercussions of a positive test.

Do they want this thing to work or what?

Man I hope noone gets booted from the NCAA Tournament for covid. Removing the player who tests positive should be enough.

I thought the conference tournaments should have been cancelled so NCAAT teams could quarantine and make sure they don't test positive out. And my covid opinions are pretty far in a certain direction.

(Weird virus who would have thought our 76 year old cancer survivor coach would be the one with the least symptoms when the entire program more or less got it or was at least exposed.)

I believe there are 2 tests, the PCR test which I believe shows active COVID infection, and the antigen test, which shows previous, non transmissible infection

Check me science or smart people...
Both PCR and antigen tests show active infection. Antibody tests detect Abs your body has produced, which indicates past infection (although one could have a 'dormant' carrier status; we just don't know enough about SARS CoV2). The antigen test detects viral proteins, and deploys antibody reagents to do so. PCR is much more sensitive but less specific than antigen, so risk of false +ves is higher with the former. Hope this is useful context, and to all: stay safe and stay well.

i tend to agree cuse is more likely than not ok. You never know until you know, which is normally 5-7 days after exposure but not all positives shed equally. Interesting fact: 10-15% of the positives cause 80% of the infections (bc of science not behavior) so all close contact is not the same. That is why I’m sure of you have heard stories of one spouse getting Covid and the other not.
Yup. My wife had it in January - she works at a local nursing home. She was out of work for 2 weeks with mild symptoms (congestion, fatigue, loss of smell/taste). I was with her the entire time like normal - I got nothing. Not even a slight cough. Zero symptoms, but I still quarantined the necessary amount of days. I never got a test, so I was either asymptomatic, or I had antibody protection against it from a previous infection.

Yup. My wife had it in January - she works at a local nursing home. She was out of work for 2 weeks with mild symptoms (congestion, fatigue, loss of smell/taste). I was with her the entire time like normal - I got nothing. Not even a slight cough. Zero symptoms, but I still quarantined the necessary amount of days. I never got a test, so I was either asymptomatic, or I had antibody protection against it from a previous infection.

Be glad you were symptomless. Mine were mild for the most part but a couple still linger and it's no fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom