Virginia | Syracusefan.com

Virginia

CuseMan4

Starter
I've watched a few of their games this season and am watching right now. I think we have a very good shot of winning this game despite plying at their house and their "ranking". They are surprisingly sloppy with the ball, don't have a great scoring threat, they play typical Virginia basketball. However, if we play D like we have been the past few games I think we can force close to 20 turnovers on them and force them to shoot it from deep which isn't a strength of theirs. I really think we go into Virginia and come out with a W. We have a lot of momentum and I think we can expose Virginia's weaknesses.

I've watched a few of their games this season and am watching right now. I think we have a very good shot of winning this game despite plying at their house and their "ranking". They are surprisingly sloppy with the ball, don't have a great scoring threat, they play typical Virginia basketball. However, if we play D like we have been the past few games I think we can force close to 20 turnovers on them and force them to shoot it from deep which isn't a strength of theirs. I really think we go into Virginia and come out with a W. We have a lot of momentum and I think we can expose Virginia's weaknesses.

If we beat Virginia on Saturday I will officially be hung over on Sunday. I'm just preparing myself mentally.

Virginia is putting a bit of a beat down on Clemson in the second half. Now up 13.

One big concern guys. There is a major snowstorm barreling down on the mid-Atlantic states due to arrive Friday afternoon or evening. Saturday is supposed to be a total blizzard all day. The European and American forecasting models indicate this storm could be the second coming of Snowmageddon, which hit the DC area in 2010 and dumped 18" to 24", if memory serves. They say it is not a matter of if this hits, but how bad. Remember, Syracuse (the city) knows how to keep roads and airports open during major blizzards, the mid-Atlantic curls into a fetal position.

Just something to keep our eyes on!

One big concern guys. There is a major snowstorm barreling down on the mid-Atlantic states due to arrive Friday afternoon or evening. Saturday is supposed to be a total blizzard all day. The European and American forecasting models indicate this storm could be the second coming of Snowmageddon, which hit the DC area in 2010 and dumped 18" to 24", if memory serves. They say it is not a matter of if this hits, but how bad. Remember, Syracuse (the city) knows how to keep roads and airports open during major blizzards, the mid-Atlantic curls into a fetal position.

Just something to keep our eyes on!
I have to get to Florida quick so I can be stranded there!

I am really wondering if this game will go on. My instinct says it will be canceled - and I am never wrong!

It would be a helluva feat, given how they've handled us the two years we've been in the ACC.

But it would be a helluva feather in our cap, and really sustain the momentum we've built these last four games. Here's hoping we take it to them on Saturday.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Kenpom has our TO % at 14.5 (10th in the country) and our 3 pt shooting % at 40.1 % (17th in the country). Turning teams over and limiting 3s are strengths of yours but not turning the ball over and shooting it well from 3 are strengths (not weaknesses) of ours. Should be a great game.

Stylistically speaking they arent a great matchup for cuse IMO and have picked apart the zone as well as (and probably better than) anyone else in the acc during these 3 years. They generally work the ball inside to the middle and are patient enough to look for good shots and resist the desire to force long 3s that teams sometime settle for against the cuse zone. They also guard the perimeter as well as any team in the country (or so they say) and Cuse is obviously a team that relies heavily on perimeter scoring and the guards to basically break their man down regularly. That said this is the worst VA team we have seen since our time in the ACC, and I havent exactly been overwhelmed by them in the games ive seen either. Should be a good game. Expect rebounding to play a huge part vs a team who isnt going to turn it over often.

It's going to be a possession by possession game. UVA is so efficient and methodical. We need an excellent defensive game to win. This game is going to be in the high 50's, low 60's. There will be a lot of jumpshots available for us to shoot, hopefully we can make them.

Kenpom has our TO % at 14.5 (10th in the country) and our 3 pt shooting % at 40.1 % (17th in the country). Turning teams over and limiting 3s are strengths of yours but not turning the ball over and shooting it well from 3 are strengths (not weaknesses) of ours. Should be a great game.
It will be quite a contrast in playing styles. Duke is one of the highest scoring teams in the country. I believe UVA is one of the lowest.

It is really hard to watch the Virginia style of basketball. What a scourge on a beautiful game.

I hate 52-50 games but suspect that is what we are going to see Saturday.

Assuming we actually get to play on Saturday, a key to our offense will be the area around the foul line. When we have successful possessions against your zone, we've had a big come out there and work the ball with the guards. Yesterday against Clemson, both Mike Tobey (the 7-footer) and Isaiah Wilkins (#21) were able to work that game and turn for open looks at the basket. They were shooting well enough to be a scoring threat that the defense would have to play honestly and couldn't just leave alone and sag in for the rebound.

Assuming we actually get to play on Saturday, a key to our offense will be the area around the foul line. When we have successful possessions against your zone, we've had a big come out there and work the ball with the guards. Yesterday against Clemson, both Mike Tobey (the 7-footer) and Isaiah Wilkins (#21) were able to work that game and turn for open looks at the basket. They were shooting well enough to be a scoring threat that the defense would have to play honestly and couldn't just leave alone and sag in for the rebound.
wait you are a va fan whos posted here 1300 times?

wilkins has boned me cple times on draftkings hes always an enticing cheap option but never works out when I use him like vs flst.

Last edited:
It will be quite a contrast in playing styles. Duke is one of the highest scoring teams in the country. I believe UVA is one of the lowest.

It is really hard to watch the Virginia style of basketball. What a scourge on a beautiful game.

I hate 52-50 games but suspect that is what we are going to see Saturday.

It's funny too, they play at different paces (UVA one of the slowest in the country, Duke middle of the pack) but they are both top 10 in the country in offense.

This isn't a vintage UVA defense. I'm not saying I predict us to win, but they are a little more vulnerable than the last few years.

wait you are a va fan whos posted here 1300 times?

wilkins has boned me cple times on draftkings hes always an enticing cheap option but never works out when I use him like vs flst.
Most of it is on the politics board and a goodly number were on the football board before the game this year.

Isn't Tobey from the Syracuse(ish) neck of the woods, Rochester? I don't recall us recruiting him...appears to have been a sleeper type who has blossomed into a solid player.

as for individual players, I think Gill is the only one that can really hurt us - he can be a monster around the basket.
But yeah, as always with uva, gonna be hard for our guys to get good shots - gonna be night/day compared to the shots we got against dook

Tyler Roberson needs to stay out of foul trouble and be aggressive. But, Virginia is going to be very aware of him and they will be throwing bodies at him. He needs to keep his composure and not go over the back. Hopefully he occupies enough of their attention that our other big guys can carve out some space and get rebounds. The other keys for our offense will be G and Richardson making shots and driving when the lanes are there. I hope the offense continues to flow the way it has been. We saw how we can get open shots using the inside-out game, although the majority were off of offensive rebounds, that is not likely to continue against Virginia. Hopefully, we can enter the ball to the post (not holding my breath) and then kick out as the help defender (assuming there is a help defender) drops off his man. I think it is key to get the ball to Coleman in the post early to see how the defense is going to react. If they stick with their men, then DC has to go to work and be successful and force them to double team. That being said, I know we won't feed the post and we will pass it around the perimeter too much.

as for individual players, I think Gill is the only one that can really hurt us - he can be a monster around the basket.
But yeah, as always with uva, gonna be hard for our guys to get good shots - gonna be night/day compared to the shots we got against dook

We have a monster around the basket too!

Isn't Tobey from the Syracuse(ish) neck of the woods, Rochester? I don't recall us recruiting him...appears to have been a sleeper type who has blossomed into a solid player.
When I saw "Monroe, NY" I thought so, too, but it's south of Newburgh and west of Bear Mountain Park, across Route 17 from Kiryas Joel. He went to Blair Academy in NJ.

Not trying to be a nay sayer, but to me Virginia is like Pitt, only with basketball players. They have handled us very easily of late. Beating Duke did not suddenly solve all our team's problems. If we hit shots, we will be in the game. If we don't hit shots, we will be very much not in the game.

Not trying to be a nay sayer, but to me Virginia is like Pitt, only with basketball players. They have handled us very easily of late. Beating Duke did not suddenly solve all our team's problems. If we hit shots, we will be in the game. If we don't hit shots, we will be very much not in the game.

So in a nutshell, if we score more points then them, we'll win. ;):)

So in a nutshell, if we score more points then them, we'll win. ;):)

True. More to the point: if we shoot >45% from three, we will have a chance to win. If we shoot < 45% from three, we will lose by 13+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom