Was that a competent offense? | Syracusefan.com

Was that a competent offense?

Look, we beat a bad FCS team, but it's who we beat them with that has me really excited. Our best backfield was with a true freshman at RB and true freshman at QB. And when the true freshman at hybrid was in, there was no drop-off. We steamrolled a team with 18 year-olds. How can anyone not be excited about the O.

I don't think we saw too much for obvious reasons, but I liked the tempo and how the XB's were used. If positioned/motioned correctly, they can create huge mismatches against LB's. We saw quite a bit of that. I want to see Dungey throw some more, that's for sure. Our running game was obviously a clock management tool in the 2nd half.

Cautiously bullish. That's where I stand.

looked better than it is because ri is a really really really really really really bad team-

i didnt see anything to hang a hat on considering the talent on the other team-
to judge the offensive greatness against such a bad team is assinine

looked better than it is because ri is a really really really really really really bad team-

Flow, play calls?

Flow, play calls?
against who???????

easy to look like you know what your doing against a team with less talent than a syracuse area high school team-

anyone who takes anything good away from this game is goig to be very very very disappointed by the end of sept

Yes, the kids showed promise.

Consider that 23 of those points came from a punt return, a pick six, a 10 yard drive after a fumble recovery, and a safety.
The offense by itself put up 3 TDs and a field goal.

The formations, the use of a hybrid back, the actual plays -- ok, competent. Erv Phillips brought some excitement.

Have to see more against Wake.

Flow, play calls?

Agree with you on this. Lester has an offensive system. Last year was like drawing plays out of a hat.

I understand uri is not good. But they also weren't very good in 2011 when we beat them by a touchdown. I'm a fan which lets me make illogical conclusions and hope for the best for this year. And what I saw last night on offense was a veteran offensive line opening up some nice holes for an explosive freshman. I also saw two other playmakers on offense/ST in erv and bris. Sure he's a freshman qb but he hung in, delivered a nice ball to Lewis over the middle with a defender in his face and hit ACII in the hands in the end zone on the run.

rosconey said:
looked better than it is because ri is a really really really really really really bad team- i didnt see anything to hang a hat on considering the talent on the other team- to judge the offensive greatness against such a bad team is assinine

I'm tempted to go back and see what you wrote about the Villanova game last year.

You are soooo negative, man. Enjoy the weekend.
its not negative-ITS CALLED REALISTIC -

the offense was playing against a turrable d - dungy didnt give the game away and looked ok- but it was against a d that was just plain awful

Our offense the first few series looked just like the show we watched last year. False starts, overthrows and only completions being 5 yard hooks.

Our offense the first few series looked just like the . . . . show we watched last year. False starts, overthrows and only completions being 5 yard hooks.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- we just beat the packers and looked like a superbowl team-

the offense was playing against a turrable d - dungy didnt give the game away and looked ok- but it was against a d that was just plain awful
I logged all of our offensive plays. Our offense was unflavored ice milk. Off-tackle, up the middle, short pass route. Little zone read, a few jet sweeps. Estime or Phillips had a deep route where he was being covered by a MLB.

The execution looked sound and the players looked organized. No, we can't glean much from this game. But we executed what we ran and everything looked organized and controlled. What else can you ask for?

No, no it's called negativity. Most people who are insanely negative wrap themselves in a cloak that they like to call "reality." You're negative dude, you've been negative for a long time.

Listen, I was there last year, it was frustrating and awful. It doesn't stop me from being excited for this year. I'm an SU FAN after all. I have hope that the new players will help move things in the right direction, and this team can get better.

Your posts from this summer, and after the first game reek of "all you guys are wrong, we suck!" Yes, we sucked last year, but this year is this year, and there's a season still to be played. If you can't get excited and interested for the first game of the season, then you're not really a fan. Like I said in another post, that sucks, and I'm sorry. Going through life always looking for the negative is a way to live.

I logged all of our offensive plays. Our offense was unflavored ice milk. Off-tackle, up the middle, short pass route. Little zone read, a few jet sweeps. Estime or Phillips had a deep route where he was being covered by a MLB.

The execution looked sound and the players looked organized. No, we can't glean much from this game. But we executed what we ran and everything looked organized and controlled. What else can you ask for?

the offense score 3 times against a real turrable defense - yeah lets get the invite to the final game

No, no it's called negativity. Most people who are insanely negative wrap themselves in a cloak that they like to call "reality." You're negative dude, you've been negative for a long time.

Listen, I was there last year, it was frustrating and awful. It doesn't stop me from being excited for this year. I'm an SU FAN after all. I have hope that the new players will help move things in the right direction, and this team can get better.

Your posts from this summer, and after the first game reek of "all you guys are wrong, we suck!" Yes, we sucked last year, but this year is this year, and there's a season still to be played. If you can't get excited and interested for the first game of the season, then you're not really a fan. Like I said in another post, that sucks, and I'm sorry. Going through life always looking for the negative is a way to live.

yup lets attack another opinion that doesnt match ours attitude - love the way you guys with orange colored glass's always make other out to be negative when in reality - YOU GUYS ARE ALWAYS HAPPY WITH CRAP

Bar may be too low on this (cue Chris Rock "you're supposed to!), but for a new offense with so many freshman playing I thought it was good that there were so few false starts, illegal formations, delay of games or timeouts burned.

Delay of game on the first play, one non-clock saving timeout burned. That's all I remember.

Did anyone on the offense other than George Morris have a penalty?

I hope that's a sign of an organized OC who relates to his players. Because we're 1-0 and I can still have hope.

Chip said:
Bar may be too low on this (cue Chris Rock "you're supposed to!), but for a new offense with so many freshman playing I thought it was good that there were so few false starts, illegal formations, delay of games or timeouts burned. Delay of game on the first play, one non-clock saving timeout burned. That's all I remember. Did anyone on the offense other than George Morris have a penalty? I hope that's a sign of an organized OC who relates to his players. Because we're 1-0 and I can still have hope.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Something to build on. Be glad 1-0. Next week it's two FCS world beaters. Wake clobbered Elon as bad a we beat RI.

yup lets attack another opinion that doesnt match ours attitude - love the way you guys with orange colored glass's always make other out to be negative when in reality - YOU GUYS ARE ALWAYS HAPPY WITH CRAP
What are you talking about? If this team goes 3-9 this year, I'm right there with you my man. A change needs to happen. I will criticize the team and the staff when they do poorly, as I did frequently last year. It's a new year though, so I try to be optimistic about it. They won last night, some of the young players played well. Yep, it was against a really bad team. I know that. I can still enjoy the win though, can't I? Can't all of us? Or should we all be pissed still?

Does it make you feel good to be able to say "I'm not getting fooled again!" Did you used to be excited and happy to watch SU Football, or have you always been miserable?

Take a deep breath dude. Holy shitE you don't need to oversell your point of view. I agree with you, uri was probably the worst team we have ever played but there was some good things worth watching out there last night on offense as well. Let's see what next two weeks bring, not quite sure but we will know more, but it's almost like you want them to stink so you can continue to hammer your agenda which is sad really

You also now have to be patient with a true freshman qb, season changed as soon as hunt went down

Bar may be too low on this (cue Chris Rock "you're supposed to!), but for a new offense with so many freshman playing I thought it was good that there were so few false starts, illegal formations, delay of games or timeouts burned.

Delay of game on the first play, one non-clock saving timeout burned. That's all I remember.

Did anyone on the offense other than George Morris have a penalty?

I hope that's a sign of an organized OC who relates to his players. Because we're 1-0 and I can still have hope.
It was against an awluf team. Sohw me what we cnan do against a P5 team, this dosnt mean anything! You guys are all satisified WITH CRAP! --courtesy of roscoeconey

upside dungey & kickng game. , downside offensive line, bad protection, could not open holes in the middle most runs were outside,probably by design but when we tried the middle most times it was barely mediocre until ri was exhausted, td pass dropped. defensive not much pressure on qb,two dropped interceptions. i loved dungey. cool customer in control,has bright future

i just cant take ANYTHING away from this game- im sorry but i cant find anything to get giddy about other than dungy looking like a 3rd year kid physically and playing like he started a game or 2 last year-

as for the backs being Heisman candidates -i just dont see it- the detroit kid can turn on a dime and fredricks has some nice balance and vision- but that was against a real poor team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom