Washington and Carey in the portal | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Washington and Carey in the portal

Need to develop kids and make them feel like they're part of the team. Give them opportunities to contribute and see that there is a possible path to more playing time. If kids are given a chance to feel they contributed, they may just hang around and develop instead of bolting for possible greener pastures.
Commit to playing at a faster pace and utilize the bench. Never been a fan of the slow down game to conserve energy for the end. Would rather see guys playing all out and needing to be subbed out here and there. Playing faster creates a lot more opportunities for players to succeed than playing at a Virgina pace does. With more opportunities, comes more chances to share the wealth amongst the players so to say. In today's age, kids want to be rewarded instantly and it's easier to divvy up 80 points amongst 8-9 guys than it is 50 points(yes, I know that formula doesnt guarantee any wins, but neither has what whatever it is we've been doing for the last 6 years). Sure, the subs may not all get to hit double digits in scoring, but they at least would have an opportunity to try. Us playing faster and running more would also force the opposing team to use their bench as well. Is every other team's bench better than ours? Who knows, when ours is never really given a shot to impact the game. Sub one of the youngsters in at a dead ball stoppage shortly before the scheduled tv timeouts, giving a starter an extended break and opportunities for a bench player to develop into a role player by season's end.
I think a player like Goodine would have stuck around another season knowing he was part of the gameplan and could get 20 minutes that were meaningful and not just due to a starter being in foul trouble or playing horrible.

Had been told personally after the Iowa game that Carey had made his decision. Publicly chewing him out in favor of the local kid didn't help any favors. This is bad of a roster turnover as you're going to see from one year to the next.

How many posters on here are slagging these guys for not being good enough, but six months ago were slagging other posters for not having enough faith in the new guys?

So we’re basically in the same position we’ve routinely found ourselves in over the past 5 years, only the starting guards are worse than usual.

I don’t blame any of the 3. This is, once again, on the HC. These aren’t giant losses in terms of skill or overall impact, but now the depth is shot, we don’t have a typical PG on the roster and we’ll be scrambling late to fill some spots. So, basically same old, same old.

again, though - what did Goodine display to warrant the minutes he apparently thought/thinks he was/is entitled to? I ask this sincerely
Sometimes it’s not about what that player can or cannot do, but about what the players on the court are consistently failing to do for massive stretches of game time.

We have 3 scholarship guards on the roster for next year.
Girard
Boeheim
Richmond.

That is not enough.
The roster needs depth.
What happens if a player rolls an ankle.

This is a joke.

A complete joke

again, though - what did Goodine display to warrant the minutes he apparently thought/thinks he was/is entitled to? I ask this sincerely
I think the consensus is: He moved well without the ball, dribbled like a champ, and defended the top of the zone like nobody we have ever seen before (just ask the BC players, they’ll tell you all about it).

How many posters on here are slagging these guys for not being good enough, but six months ago were slagging other posters for not having enough faith in the new guys?

All of them. Just look at littlereg's quote reply to my tweet. We have an extremely crappy fan base.

Columbia also has 2 graduate guards in the portal, get one of them to come over with Tape'.

Mike Smith, 5-11 180, avg. 22.8 pts., 34.1% 3-pt., 37.7 mpg. Probably won't stand for 12-minutes PT though being a high volume shooter at 19 shots/game.

Jake Killingsworth, 6-5 205, avg. 7.4 pts., 32.9% 3-pt., 33.5 mpg, 5.4 rpg. If dude has lateral quicks and could learn the zone slides he could maybe provide some steadying leadership the backcourt.

Good. We needed a house cleaning. Richmond will back up both guards. JB never plays more than 3 guards anyway.

Would love to hear the exit interviews:

JB: spacing, shooters.. something
Goodine/HoWash: whatever.

I see the meeting more like this:

1584226352146.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online