Washington and Carey in the portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Washington and Carey in the portal

No one should be surprised by this. I brought it up in December and everyone wanted to talk about how much fun Jalen was having on the bench and blah blah. This will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Goodine was a shock to me as that was never discussed. But this was writing on the wall
Add Hughes to League, and potential another transfer from the front line, and it becomes a Yikes moment

You didn't notice that each of the last two years, we've had guards that were expected to play major minutes have injuries - Frank Howard last year and Carey this year.

They don’t want to be here in that role.

Like I said earlier, there’s probably a Howard Washington level prospect we could bring in? Even he’s apparently not content to sit though.

Potential, sure. But admit that you thought both he and Carey would’ve shown more in their short time at SU. Apparently JB couldn’t convince BG to stick around long enough to display his potential.

Maybe when Jalen was recruited. I’ve though he’s been bad since last year. Brycen I still am not sure.

Need to develop kids and make them feel like they're part of the team. Give them opportunities to contribute and see that there is a possible path to more playing time. If kids are given a chance to feel they contributed, they may just hang around and develop instead of bolting for possible greener pastures.
Commit to playing at a faster pace and utilize the bench. Never been a fan of the slow down game to conserve energy for the end. Would rather see guys playing all out and needing to be subbed out here and there. Playing faster creates a lot more opportunities for players to succeed than playing at a Virgina pace does. With more opportunities, comes more chances to share the wealth amongst the players so to say. In today's age, kids want to be rewarded instantly and it's easier to divvy up 80 points amongst 8-9 guys than it is 50 points(yes, I know that formula doesnt guarantee any wins, but neither has what whatever it is we've been doing for the last 6 years). Sure, the subs may not all get to hit double digits in scoring, but they at least would have an opportunity to try. Us playing faster and running more would also force the opposing team to use their bench as well. Is every other team's bench better than ours? Who knows, when ours is never really given a shot to impact the game. Sub one of the youngsters in at a dead ball stoppage shortly before the scheduled tv timeouts, giving a starter an extended break and opportunities for a bench player to develop into a role player by season's end.
I think a player like Goodine would have stuck around another season knowing he was part of the gameplan and could get 20 minutes that were meaningful and not just due to a starter being in foul trouble or playing horrible.
Using the defending national champion is probably not a good team to not emulate.

They don’t want to be here in that role.

Like I said earlier, there’s probably a Howard Washington level prospect we could bring in? Even he’s apparently not content to sit though.
The fact they don’t want to be here isn’t a good thing.

We need depth. Players get better. Our coaches recruited these kids.
This is on them as well.

JB could have gotten joe more minutes without the public shaming of jalen carey. tried to tell you all at the time dude checked out after that. that's no way to treat your own players. ever. and you wonder why they leave ?
Shamed him right into injuring himself, didn't he? Why that wily JB, he'll do anything to shorten that guard rotation.

Shamed him right into injuring himself, didn't he? Why that wily JB, he'll do anything to shorten that guard rotation.
If Carey was staying here he would have comeback to play this year.
His injury is a 3 month injury. He is sitting out the season because he wanted to protect a year of eligibility.

The surgery was after the change in lineup happened.

We were already screwed next year...a rolled ankle will just make it uglier.

So true. We’re not doing anything great next year unless Carmelo walks through the door. Hopefully folks are prepared for that.

What other D1 school had three guards transfer? I’d like to know...this is embarrassing
Virginia Tech last year after Buzz left for Texas A&M.

This stuff happens in coaching changes.
It doesn’t happen that often with coaches who have been at their schools a long time.

UConn after the 2010 season made
Massive rosters changes. They pushed kids out.

read the Waters article, it's right in there.
I don't fault the kid for wanting or thinking he deserves more minutes - but you have to go out and prove it and be a little patient...

one can both:
be disappointed that Goodine is leaving (i.e. recognize his potential)
*and*
not understand the beef Goodine apparently has

I just want to get the opportunity to play,'' Goodine said. "I don’t think it was going to happen at Syracuse.’’
This is the quote I saw in the Waters article. I didn’t see anything that suggested he felt entitled to more playing time. That was my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom