We don’t play hard | Syracusefan.com

We don’t play hard

Didn't see the game, but the rebounding stats can't be correct, can they? 56-29 is a bit of a problem.

The problem is not effort. It's lack of talent. Even Fraschilla said not a lot of talent on the floor. The die is cast for this season. Downturn in recruiting has caught up. And the less success we have the more recruiting will fall off. JB is tarnishing his legacy which is what happens to all coaches stay a little too long. Probably should have retired after the unlikely 2016 FF run on the last remaining fumes of the program.

I would say this is the most absurd thread I've seen on this board but doesn't even make the Top 50 lately. Not playing hard? Based on what? Getting outrebounded by teams that are vastly superior physically? Starting backcourt shooting less than 25% from 3 in competitive games?

I would say this is the most absurd thread I've seen on this board but doesn't even make the Top 50 lately. Not playing hard? Based on what? Getting outrebounded by teams that are vastly superior physically? Starting backcourt shooting less than 25% from 3 in competitive games?
well...
how about running back on defense and getting in the way of an opposing player taking the ball straight to the basket? how about fighting for rebounds? if you think the team consistently played hard in the past two games, not sure what you were watching

JB is hanging his hat on a three ball attack. we got shooters not bangers.expect a lot of these nights when they don't fall.

JB is hanging his hat on a three ball attack. we got shooters not bangers.expect a lot of these nights when they don't fall.
I've been saying it for years you can't be a zone team on defense and 3pt shooting team on offense. It will never work unless you have a team of pros every year.

Good 3pt shooting teams play 3 or 4 guards with a pick and pop big. They drive the ball so its 3s and layups. On defense they play pressure man to man. i.e. Duke, Nova, etc

Good zone teams play long athletes with bigs who eat up space and only play 2 or 3 guards. The bigs that eat up space on defense will also eat up space on offense they don't get smaller because they ran down the court.

If the bigs are good enough shooters to lift the defense out of the lane then they are PRO ready now. If not then the defense will press up on the 3pt shooters and clog the lane because the bigs can't shoot and won't be guarded.

So if you are going to play zone you HAVE to play big with players who can score inside. 3s come from teams doubling down or cheating down to prevent the post entry pass. Without a center or a forward who can score in the post/mid-range our offense will struggle.

we run a 3 guard offense without the depth to pressure the ball full 40. chuck and rest strategy.

we run a 3 guard offense without the depth to pressure the ball full 40. chuck and rest strategy.
The zone is best when it is a weapon move Hughes to the point and start Guerrier, Girard and Buddy split minutes at the 2 (go with the hot hand). It helps rebounding and puts a player on floor how can score in the post/midrange (Guerrier).

Having Hughes at the top of the zone will help with penetration and he will probably get more steals from that position. Having him up top will help us get out in transition as well.

When one of the commentators during the national telecast mentioned several times the lack of talent combined with the lack of effort, I'd say it's not a stretch to say the team isn't playing as hard as they could be.

All you have to do is watch. On two possessions ina row I watched Buddy and QG literally just stare at loose balls in front of them. Effort (and fundamentals) have been a huge concern lately on the Hill. We can blame lack of talent all we want but every player can play hard(er).

When one of the commentators during the national telecast mentioned several times the lack of talent combined with the lack of effort, I'd say it's not a stretch to say the team isn't playing as hard as they could be.

Sorry, but I apparently don't hold Fran Fraschilla to as high regard as you do. Do you honestly think athletes at this level don't play as hard as they can? Who exactly are the lazy players? Guerrier? Girard? Hughes? Dolezaj? Buddy? We have had players in the past that tended to coast a bit but I honestly don;t see it with this group. If it were all about effort this group would be national championship contenders.

Sorry, but I apparently don't hold Fran Fraschilla to as high regard as you do. Do you honestly think athletes at this level don't play as hard as they can? Who exactly are the lazy players? Guerrier? Girard? Hughes? Dolezaj? Buddy? We have had players in the past that tended to coast a bit but I honestly don;t see it with this group. If it were all about effort this group would be national championship contenders.
I saw some coasting. Buddy, Girard, Eli.

You’re a solid poster and I don’t want to jump on you. But wow, really not sure what you were watching or what constitutes playing hard for you

I think in some respects the overall lack of strength and athleticism on this team makes it look like they're not playing hard when that might not be the case. Buddy and Girard look like they are jogging to their defensive rotations, but I'm not sure that they are... I just think neither have the footspeed that we're used to seeing at the top of the zone. (And oh my god that halfcourt trap they ran against Penn State was freaking comically bad).

You’re a solid poster and I don’t want to jump on you. But wow, really not sure what you were watching or what constitutes playing hard for you

No harm disagreeing. Lots of issues with this team but I just don't see it as a lack of effort on the part of individual players. In fact I think the competitive instincts of Girard, Dolezaj, Guerrier and Hughes are one of the few reasons left for hope. We have all seen kids in recent years playing for life after SU who seemed disinterested all too often. Just don;t see that trait in any of these players.

No harm disagreeing. Lots of issues with this team but I just don't see it as a lack of effort on the part of individual players. In fact I think the competitive instincts of Girard, Dolezaj, Guerrier and Hughes are one of the few reasons left for hope. We have all seen kids in recent years playing for life after SU who seemed disinterested all too often. Just don;t see that trait in any of these players.
Eh most of this board bashed Oshae about a lot of things but that dude brought it every night. QG (who I’m super high on) can barely rebound and was bigger than OB.

I think in some respects the overall lack of strength and athleticism on this team makes it look like they're not playing hard when that might not be the case. Buddy and Girard look like they are jogging to their defensive rotations, but I'm not sure that they are... I just think neither have the footspeed that we're used to seeing at the top of the zone. (And oh my god that halfcourt trap they ran against Penn State was freaking comically bad).
The transition d is bad effort. It’s awful.

Is this the worst trapping team of the Boeheim era?

I've never seen it so ineffective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom