We love you JB, but it’s time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We love you JB, but it’s time

It makes winters bearable and go by quick. You have the holidays and once January starts you're in the heart of the conference season. Calendar turns to February and maybe that old February swoon hits. March and the BET and then its Selection Sunday and you're spending days watching nothing but college basketball and the rotation of 8 commercials on CBS. Then it's over and it's basically spring.

I miss rushing home to catch every game. Now I'm deliberately scheduling things during them.

When I was a student in the early 90s, for a year I was the co-conductor of the Sour Sitrus Society. Shared the conductor duties with another student, who grew up in Syracuse (I didn't). We were in the Dome, maybe 30 minutes before tipoff, on some random weeknight in December, and I asked him why SU didn't have a hockey team. He pointed around at the Dome filling up with what I'm sure was a 25K+ person crowd, and said "this is why". And then he explained how much SU hoops meant to CNY getting through those miserable winters. It really made an impression on me, and your post reminded me of that.

This whole situation makes me sad.

tumblr_orc5m9DMFg1tpri36o2_500.png.jpg

So, tell me how a coach can make the ball go in the hoop.

By putting his players in a position to make shots.

He can also recruit players who are big enough to stop the other team's big guys from bullying the ball into the hoop, too.

You know, "coaching".

When I was a student in the early 90s, for a year I was the co-conductor of the Sour Sitrus Society. Shared the conductor duties with another student, who grew up in Syracuse (I didn't). We were in the Dome, maybe 30 minutes before tipoff, on some random weeknight in December, and I asked him why SU didn't have a hockey team. He pointed around at the Dome filling up with what I'm sure was a 25K+ person crowd, and said "this is why". And then he explained how much SU hoops meant to CNY getting through those miserable winters. It really made an impression on me, and your post reminded me of that.

This whole situation makes me sad.

I think it's best for JB to step down now. I also think he should be afforded the opportunity to right the ship. That first game where he's not on the sideline is going to be sad. I just wish he retired on a high after 2016 or even 2018.

It makes winters bearable and go by quick. You have the holidays and once January starts you're in the heart of the conference season. Calendar turns to February and maybe that old February swoon hits. March and the BET and then its Selection Sunday and you're spending days watching nothing but college basketball and the rotation of 8 commercials on CBS. Then it's over and it's basically spring.

I miss rushing home to catch every game. Now I'm deliberately scheduling things during them.

I'm not scheduling things during games. But I'm watching games now out of loyalty, not because they are actually fun. And I don't mean for that to come off wrong and that you or anyone else is not a loyal fan. It's hard to criticize someone for not watching when it's not fun. Sports are supposed to be fun.

I think it's best for JB to step down now. I also think he should be afforded the opportunity to right the ship. That first game where he's not on the sideline is going to be sad. I just wish he retired on a high after 2016 or even 2018.

I agree. I can't see how he turns this thing around, but he'll get the opportunity to do it. JB is *the* reason why Syracuse is not Boston College or Providence or St. John's. There is no pre-ordained reason why we should have been as good as we've been for decades. It's him.

2016 was the moment. It would have allowed for a face-saving departure in the wake of our embarrassing, second probation.

I'm not scheduling things during games. But I'm watching games now out of loyalty, not because they are actually fun. And I don't mean for that to come off wrong and that you or anyone else is not a loyal fan. It's hard to criticize someone for not watching when it's not fun. Sports are supposed to be fun.

I got home from NYC in time to see that Syracuse was only 2 points behind, two minutes into the second half. By the time I unpacked my bag, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and sat down to watch, about 5 minutes had passed and we were down around 15 points. Game over.

I’ll ride with JB until the day he no longer wants to be here. I owe the relationships I have with my father, brother and friends to this program (that he built). Would rather lose with Boeheim than win with someone else. Is this year hard? Not really tbh. What other team do you follow where you don’t have a single horrible year for 40+ years? What we’ve had here has been magically consistent and likely won’t ever be again. I love our coaches. I love our guards. I love our building. I love our hot dogs. I guess I have a lyrical soul.

You guys all make me sick. First 2 months of hard times in 40+ years and you want to clean house. This isn’t fantasy sports and the grass is unlikely to be greener on the other side.

I’ll ride with JB until the day he no longer wants to be here. I owe the relationships I have with my father, brother and friends to this program (that he built). Would rather lose with Boeheim than win with someone else. Is this year hard? Not really tbh. What other team do you follow where you don’t have a single horrible year for 40+ years? What we’ve had here has been magically consistent and likely won’t ever be again. I love our coaches. I love our guards. I love our building. I love our hot dogs. I guess I have a lyrical soul.

You guys all make me sick. First 2 months of hard times in 40+ years and you want to clean house. This isn’t fantasy sports and the grass is unlikely to be greener on the other side.

u-g-Q1068360.jpg

I got home from NYC in time to see that Syracuse was only 2 points behind, two minutes into the second half. By the time I unpacked my bag, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and sat down to watch, about 5 minutes had passed and we were down around 15 points. Game over.

That's one of the biggest issues I have. It isn't like we're slowly worn down in the 2nd half by a better team. The other team takes away the things that worked in the first half and we have no answer. And we don't change anything. That's coaching. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think the talent is that bad. We're too skinny and can use someone thicker than a toothpick, but we have talent better than 15+ point losses.

So you rather hold the program and fan base hostage. JB had 40 plus years time for a change

I'd expect a lot of people to have this opinion, and it's valid in my opinion. Where I will push back is the notion that this is the "first 2 months of hard times in 40+ years". Unfortunately, the program has been on a downward trajectory for several years. Lots of opinions on the drivers of that, but the outcome is pretty unassailable. Maybe they haven't been "hard times", strictly speaking, but they have been far off from the standard JB himself set.

I also suspect a lot of the agitation you see is due to how the supposed transition played out. We had a succession plan in place, and it was torpedoed. Again, lots of opinions on how and why. But it was. And now we have literally the oldest D1 basketball coach of all-time, trying to sell players on coming to SU, with no clear successor (which many of these recruits would have to assume they'll play for at some point).

You are what’s wrong...being too wrapped up in the past. No one is taking anything away from Jim but when it’s time to let it go, you do.

loyalty is a great thing .loved watching willie mays play. best ever in center field. but i wouldn't trust him there today. and let's try and not make this transition an old yeller moment. ditto above when it's time to go you know.

I'm not advocating to oust Boeheim - but I'm not sure you are seeing the train that's coming - we are going to be far far worse next year

I'm not advocating to oust Boeheim - but I'm not sure you are seeing the train that's coming - we are going to be far far worse next year

If Hughes leaves then yes. We should return everybody though minus a couple transfers.

That's one of the biggest issues I have. It isn't like we're slowly worn down in the 2nd half by a better team. The other team takes away the things that worked in the first half and we have no answer. And we don't change anything. That's coaching. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think the talent is that bad. We're too skinny and can use someone thicker than a toothpick, but we have talent better than 15+ point losses.

Mike Brey or John Beilein would know what to do with this kind of squad. They've had them their whole careers.

During one of the games in Brooklyn, when it was unusually quiet in the arena, someone close behind the Syracuse bench shouted: "Time to go, Jim."

Hard to believe, with a HOF coach.

During one of the games in Brooklyn, when it was unusually quiet in the arena, someone close behind the Syracuse bench shouted: "Time to go, Jim."

Hard to believe, with a HOF coach.

My Penn State friend was saying he would kill for Boeheim to come to Penn State right now as their coach. JB's still a big name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom